• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Signs of Potassium deficiency in some of my Butia x Parajubaea cocoides

Alberto

About half of my Butia x Parajubaea cocoides show some signs of aparently Potassium [K] deficiency with premature yellowing amd dying of the older fronds. This year I´ll feed them with a combined good amount  of decomposed manure, wood ashes and also some ''cloreto de potássio'' and see what happens. My native Butia species [B. eriospatha and B. microspadix] never show this K deficiency signs, neither B. catarinensis, but interestingly the Butia capitata [from central Brazil] also show similar signs. Do some of you also noted something similar to this on your own B x P  ?    Thanks

DSCN9700.JPG

DSCN9724.JPG

DSCN9737.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Hy Alberto.

You need to check the pH of your soil. If it is very clayey, it is possible that your palms need some mineral salts to level the pH

The pH of my soil is on the acid side and and it´s a loam mixed with sand, Some places are more on the sandy side

• Upvote 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

• 4 weeks later...

mine are not big enough to notice this problem. K deficiency on coconuts is usually the brown spots, not full yellowing. Could this not be another deficiency?

Also.... congratulations on the size of these palms! Looking forward to mine growing. If mine get this big I will attempt to clean the trunk a bit to get a coconut look palm.

Could also be a bit of magnesium deficiency going on there too. K and Mg are a bit of a couple so the ratio needs to be right or they cause a deficiency in one or the other.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 3 years later...
21 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

Alberto, were you able to correct the nutrient deficiency?

For years I fed every year with K and wood ashes and the palms looked ok. Last year I loosed somewhat the feeding and specially one turned badly yellowish brown. Now I began feeding again. I'm at the beach now, vacation. When I'm back home I'll show some pics.

• Like 1

Theory: poor soil drainage causes the yellowing such as in citrus. Alberto, you say you have clay soil. So do I. Picture of this hybrid from Krishna in Florida and Patrick in California do not show yellowing. :indifferent:

9 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

Theory: poor soil drainage causes the yellowing such as in citrus. Alberto, you say you have clay soil. So do I. Picture of this hybrid from Krishna in Florida and Patrick in California do not show yellowing. :indifferent:

Waterlogged soils inhibit iron uptake.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 4:52 PM, Tropicdoc said:

This part is sandy loam, on the acid side,  with good drainage.

• 1 year later...