• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tahina incultivation

John Dransfield

It's now eight years since the description of Tahina spectabilis as a new species, and the distribution of seed that generated income for rural development projects in the area surrounding the type locality. Over the last few years I have seen wonderful young plants of Tahina all over the palm-growing world. I would be really interested to know whether any of you out there have Tahina plants that have grown out of their distichous mode (leaves in a fan like Ravenala) and are now displaying spirally arranged leaves - and, it would also be very good to know how big the biggest Tahinas are and where they are growing.

John

• Upvote 7

John Dransfield

John, this was posted on our Facebook page by Pierre-Olivier Albano. This is in Martinique.

IMG_0407.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Here is mine, in Sunny South Florida--just starting to grow out of the juvenile distichous growth pattern. I give her no additional irrigation besides what falls from the sky. This palm is highly conducive to our soils and climate--thank you for describing it!

tahina.jpg

• Upvote 6

Cool pics.  Thanks for sharing.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

There is a fellow in homestead with a MASSIVE Tahina, I can't recall his name of the cuff but the plant is over 20ft.

• Upvote 1

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

9 hours ago, LJG said:

John, this was posted on our Facebook page by Pierre-Olivier Albano. This is in Martinique.

IMG_0407.JPG

Len, do you have any idea of the age of P.O. Albano's palm?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

10 hours ago, John Dransfield said:

It's now eight years since the description of Tahina spectabilis as a new species, and the distribution of seed that generated income for rural development projects in the area surrounding the type locality. Over the last few years I have seen wonderful young plants of Tahina all over the palm-growing world. I would be really interested to know whether any of you out there have Tahina plants that have grown out of their distichous mode (leaves in a fan like Ravenala) and are now displaying spirally arranged leaves - and, it would also be very good to know how big the biggest Tahinas are and where they are growing.

John

This topic is exactly why I am so glad I joined IPS and Palmtalk, nowhere else we can find so interesting thread, many thanks.

BTW: eight years since the description of Tahina spectabilis as a new species;
I wonder since how many years plants are growing in gardens, how fast have been seeds available on the commercial network, when have the first Tahina been planted?

Looking forward to seeing answers and pictures ...

Should I try to plant Tahina in our srilankan jungle where Corypha umbraculifera is a weed? maybe not?

• Upvote 1

Philippe

8 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Len, do you have any idea of the age of P.O. Albano's palm?

No, sorry. Has to be from first seed batch that came around. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Dr. Dransfield,

We have 6 plants growing in the collection here at Leu Garden. They were grown from the first seed offering. The largest are around 5-6ft tall. They are all still showing a distichous habit, no spiraling yet.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This is Jeff Searle's Tahini. Pic was taken in October of 2015. Palm is much larger and robust now. I'll be viewing that palm in a few weeks and will get an updated pic.

20151001_182949~2.jpg

• Upvote 4

Many thanks to all who have responded so far. Some great looking plants. I'm away from my desk at the moment but will respond at greater length towards the end of the week

john

• Upvote 1

John Dransfield

This was taken at Nong Nooch in January 2014 nearly 3 years ago. Must be massive now.

post-15-0-10696900-1390952938_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

John,

I bought 10 seeds from the initial RPS offering in March 2008. Seven germinated, and I eventually planted six and sold the remaining one to a friend. They had to sit in pots longer than necessary while I was clearing the space where they would be planted, the first four in March 2012. The pictures here are of the biggest one, still in its distichous phase of development. They have grown well and have been trouble-free. Orange bucket for scale, one of the whole palm, the other of the base.

5834b26f73552_Tahinaspectabilis_MLM_1122

5834b26b9b371_Tahinaspectabilis_base_MLM

• Upvote 4

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

• 2 weeks later...

John, here are a few recent pics from Montgomery in Miami.  I believe that they have 7 in the garden.  Thanks for all your scientific research in Palms and hope to hear you more often on PT!  Maybe you can post more pics of the ones in habitat.

DSCN3975.JPG

DSCN3976.JPG

DSCN4005.JPG

DSCN4019.JPG

DSCN4020.JPG

DSCN4113.JPG

DSCN4114.JPG

DSCN4115.JPG

DSCN4116.JPG

DSCN4117.JPG

DSCN4118.JPG

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, Mike Evans said:

John, here are a few recent pics from Montgomery in Miami.  I believe that they have 7 in the garden.  Thanks for all your scientific research in Palms and hope to hear you more often on PT!  Maybe you can post more pics of the ones in habitat.

DSCN3975.JPG

DSCN3976.JPG

DSCN4005.JPG

DSCN4019.JPG

DSCN4020.JPG

DSCN4113.JPG

DSCN4114.JPG

DSCN4115.JPG

DSCN4116.JPG

DSCN4117.JPG

DSCN4118.JPG

good call habitat pictures are the best :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Mike (and everyone else who has answered my Tahina question)

Thanks so much for posting so many great pictures of Tahina. The Montgomery plants are particularly impressive. It's also a relief to know that the larger individuals have started to spiral at last.

This will remain one of my favourite palms and I hope we'll see them flowering in cultivation ere long. They do seem to be rapid.

All the best

John

John Dransfield

On 11/22/2016, 9:15:43, kwtimo said:

This is Jeff Searle's Tahini. Pic was taken in October of 2015. Palm is much larger and robust now. I'll be viewing that palm in a few weeks and will get an updated pic.

20151001_182949~2.jpg

This is the palm as of last Saturday

20161203_160527_HDR~2.jpg

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, kwtimo said:

This is the palm as of last Saturday

20161203_160527_HDR~2.jpg

Did Jeff Searle become shorter ? :D

• Upvote 1

Philippe

Dr Dransfield, here is one in my clients garden in Portlock, Honolulu Hawaii. It shows the toughness of the palm. It is planted in terrible, coral soil. only one house away from the ocean, but quite happy. It was sent by barge on a pallet from the big island. The other is a 25 gallon that I grew from seed.

It was satisfying  to know that by purchasing the seed, some of the proceeds went to the local  community, and that they can see benefit and reap the rewards from preserving it. 

Aloha

Colin Peters

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

• Upvote 3

I dream I belong to your clients and get such a beauty you sent by barge on a pallet to Sri Lanka ! Colin. 

Thanks in advance. :D

Philippe

Philippe

WOW! ..... I love these palms.....has anyone ever tested their true cold hardiness? Would be cool if they were as hardy as a Bizmarkia. 

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

11 hours ago, John Dransfield said:

Wow! that is really impressive - many thanks for posting

John

Thank you, John. I must admit, when I walk by it, I often stop and take a look. I can't wait to see how big these are going to get.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

John,

I have a question for you, can you share some of your thoughts and updates on whether or not there's someone still over in Madagascar doing field work in some kind of capacity in the habitat area of this palm? In short....is there someone there that will be capable of sending more seed out as it becomes available?

Thank you, Jeff

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

1 hour ago, Jeff Searle said:

John,

I have a question for you, can you share some of your thoughts and updates on whether or not there's someone still over in Madagascar doing field work in some kind of capacity in the habitat area of this palm? In short....is there someone there that will be capable of sending more seed out as it becomes available?

Thank you, Jeff

very good question Jeff :):greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Jeff

Xavier Metz, who with his family discovered Tahina, is not well and no longer lives near to Tahina; he now lives with his family in Antananarivo. However, he and the company he worked for maintains a keen interest in the population of Tahina and its conservation. The local manager of the company near the Tahina site is well aware of what is going on. Since the second seed distribution (in 2010?) there have been several flowerings but without significant fruit set. This last year Alison Shapcott from the University of the Sunshine Coast in Australia, who did a census of the palms and a genetic diversity analysis back in 2009(?) revisited the population to carry out a new census of the population. She was accompanied by a team from the Kew Madagascar Conservation Centre (KMCC) in Antananarivo. Alison and team carried out a complete census. There are two blogs written by Lauren Gardiner from Kew who joined Alison's trip   http://www.kew.org/discover/blogs/kew-science/revisiting-madagascan-suicide-palm and http://www.kew.org/discover/blogs/kew-science/revisiting-madagascan-suicide-palm-decade-on   .

The conservation of Tahina will be a focus for some of the activities of KMCC over the coming years and part of this will be monitoring for flowering and fruiting. The villagers living nearby have had ample evidence of the value of a controlled seed harvest and sale benefitting everyone (rather than a seed merchant who might come in, harvest seed and disappear with little benefit going back to the community) so should the palms fruit I think we can be certain that seed will become available. Of course, I really hope that this happens

We are planning to include an article on Tahina written by Alison and Lauren and co-workers in the second issue of PALMS this year that will appear in June. The article will contain an update on the state of the population and some exciting new information (or so I am told)

Again thanks to everyone for your interest in this wonderful palm - Jeff, you are dwarfed by yours - it's fantastic.

John

• Upvote 5

John Dransfield

John,

Vey nice, more information than I expected! Thank you for the links and kind remarks.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On 12/6/2016, 5:34:14, Alicehunter2000 said:

WOW! ..... I love these palms.....has anyone ever tested their true cold hardiness? Would be cool if they were as hardy as a Bizmarkia. 

Or even D. decipiens.  Only one way to find out, go for it bro!

Edited by topwater

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much to all who have posted here.

I do believe mine in PR is also from the first group of seed.

Planted out as a tiny seedling, it is now in too much shade and will take removal of Cecropias, African Tulips and other aggressive trees to reach its full potential. Or the bravery/foolhardiness to try moving it to a better microclimate.

Part of my many plans for 2017.

Suffice it to say that I still tower over it at my 5 feet, 3 inches.

Instead I will share (with his permission) this photo of Mike's (waykoolplantz) beauty in Florida from an impromptu visit last month. I am told it is not even his largest one.

DSCN4624.thumb.jpg.f303d814f418b31ee51ad

Cindy Adair