• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Was in South Central Georgia and found these.

Palmaceae

I just got back from a pastors retreat in Cordele Georgia and was really surprised in what I saw.

This first picture shows Sabal palmetto which did not surprise me, but the second palm I was very surprised.

IMG_0530.JPG

I did not think a Washingtonia robusta could grow to that size that far north in Georgia. Cordele is in South Central Georgia and is 90 miles north of the Florida border and is in the center of the state. Looks like Cordele is in zone 8a.

As I have seen Washingtonia's totally defoliated in Tampa in the freezes of the 80's.

IMG_0527.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Whoa!

Did you get a close up of the crown?

I'm curious to see the leaf bases which will tell if it's a Washie filifera or a robusta. Fillies have plain green petiole bases where they join the crown/trunk.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thats a robusta for sure. It very well could have had the crown at or below the roofline of the metal building in 2011 which is what allowed it to cling on to dear life until the next event.  With that heigth it wont make it through another.

• Upvote 1

Sadly, it won't be long until it looks like this one in Montgomery. I think it died in 2011 and is still standing like this today. 

IMG_2603.PNG

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, nitsua0895 said:

Sadly, it won't be long until it looks like this one in Montgomery. I think it died in 2011 and is still standing like this today.

I wonder after how many years a dead palm trunk like that becomes a hazard to fall over.

That's something to consider growing a Robusta in zone 8: outgrowing the owner's ability to cut it down themselves when the inevitable happens

14 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Whoa!

Did you get a close up of the crown?

I'm curious to see the leaf bases which will tell if it's a Washie filifera or a robusta. Fillies have plain green petiole bases where they join the crown/trunk.

It was definitely a robusta, and I saw several more about 30 miles south but looked newly planted. 

13 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Thats a robusta for sure. It very well could have had the crown at or below the roofline of the metal building in 2011 which is what allowed it to cling on to dear life until the next event.  With that heigth it wont make it through another.

It was on the south side of that building so I am sure you are right 

The tallest robusta that I know of that didn't die in 2011 in our area is on the south side of a 3 story stucco hotel at which time was 5-6' shy of the roofline.  The two others that used to be 15' away against the same wall died in 2011.  Every other robusta not near downtown Dallas (8B+) that had its crown outside the southern microclimate of a building died. I am unaware of any Filifera that died in the entire area, including ones right in the middle of an open space that saw single digits.

• 4 years later...

Hey, I'm new to the forum.. Yeah that's a huge Butia! They seem to really love our climate here in GA. You should check out Waycross, GA as well, over on the Southeast side of the state. I've seen some monster butias there as well. I actually took a picture with a really old one last year that was close to this one's size. Let me see if I can upload it on here for ya.

1DB95007-231B-40F3-9C23-11949C5C9E82.jpeg

77706FED-C0CB-411B-BB77-DE147B4C6AA2.jpeg

Edited by Georgia_Palms
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

For many years, there were some Washingtonia filifera at a cheap hotel in Tifton. About 15 years ago, there was a huge renovation, and the Washies were removed. I think they just have S.palmetto there now. Across the street (exit 62?) the hotels have more variety but filiferas  sareo rare in the SE that you spot them immediately.

7 hours ago, SeanK said:

For many years, there were some Washingtonia filifera at a cheap hotel in Tifton. About 15 years ago, there was a huge renovation, and the Washies were removed. I think they just have S.palmetto there now. Across the street (exit 62?) the hotels have more variety but filiferas  sareo rare in the SE that you spot them immediately.

Yeah that’s true.. You see robusta everywhere but no filiferas hardly. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them personally and I’ve been all over south Georgia, since I live basically right on the middle and south Georgia line.