• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

my new Dypsis carlsmithii!?

Mohsen

Just got my Dypsis carlsmithii  in 45 Liter bag, thanks to Ben ( Palms for Brisbane)  ( with 27 other palms ;)  )

, I want to plant it in ground and will dig in yard for it...it will be in full sun...any suggestion or consideration I should know about ?

I have read that  ( I think Dypsis Decipiens) should not be plant in ground  deep? I'm not sure why , is that because of its heel root type?how about Dypsis carlsmithii ? should I create mound ?

Thanks in advance, this is the picture of the Dypsis carlsmithii  and where I want to plant it ...

IMG_9240.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

• Upvote 6

Good score i was going to get 1 to try but i dont think we get enough warmth here for long enough that will look great planted, are u growing decipiens there??

• Upvote 1

Nice acquisition!  Looks like a nice beefy plant. In Southern California I recommend mound planting a large heeled Dypsis relatively high, e.g.  6-10 inches above soil line, for better success. A lot of us have clay soil, which can rot them out when the heel pulls the plant below soil level, especially during our rainy cool season. 

• Upvote 3

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

48 minutes ago, coops 3214 said:

Good score i was going to get 1 to try but i dont think we get enough warmth here for long enough that will look great planted, are u growing Decipiens there??

I have a small D.Decipiens but not in ground... I am not sure if anyone in Sydney has tried this but I thought if they can do it in South California so it is worth give it a try ? we will see :)

26 minutes ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Nice acquisition!  Looks like a nice beefy plant. In Southern California I recommend mound planting a large heeled Dypsis relatively high, e.g.  6-10 inches above soil line, for better success. A lot of us have clay soil, which can rot them out when the heel pulls the plant below soil level, especially during our rainy cool season. 

Thanks Brett

How should I build mound? I always wonder how the mound  stays together when you water the plant? how it wont be washed off ?

Mine is in shade; it thrives on hot Florida summers (afternoons maybe 32º).  The leaves remain rather vertical, so the plant won't need a huge space.  It'll take years to start a trunk.  Mine is trunkless after a decade.  

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Nice specimen! Lucky you have Ben as a resource for Palm stock. 

Full sun here in Hilo even from a 2" cone. Lots of water and of course, good drainage.

Tim

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks all, any advise on how to build a mound, I am worry it would be washed off and roots be exposed when we have heavy rain ?!

18 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Brett

How should I build mound? I always wonder how the mound  stays together when you water the plant? how it wont be washed off ?

I create a mound thats slopes very gradually, then cover in mulch which will hold it all together, even in heavy rain. Here is an example of a mound planted Dypsis Prestoniana; the growing point is 8-10 inches above surrounding area:

mound.thumb.jpg.3813d8de7161048b15ed1a5a

• Upvote 5

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks all, any advise on how to build a mound, I am worry it would be washed off and roots be exposed when we have heavy rain ?!

These absolutely do not need to be raised up or planted high. Unlike some of the other species that get large. Lots of sun, water and fertilizer.

• Upvote 5

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

4 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

These absolutely do not need to be raised up or planted high. Unlike some of the other species that get large. Lots of sun, water and fertilizer.

Thanks Jeff

I read many articles about mound is necessary for D.Decipiens but was not sure about D.Carlsmithii, so you think I don't need to build a raised or mound for my Carlsmithii and can be planted to the ground level as normal ?that would save me trouble ;) 

Great size Carlsmithii Mohsen  to go in ground :greenthumb: and as Jeff said these dont need a mound    but    you have solid rock not far down true ?  

If thats correct I'd be digging deep 2 ft( if you dont hit rock b4)  throwing a handful of "good" fert ( N/cote total +te) so it attracts the roots down deep. Then  filling a good  1 ft of "best soil" available  more fert at the bottom of it, plant your carlsmithii and the add more  soil to cover the rest of the exposed roots, and mulch heavily to stop the soil from washing away during heavy rain.. Add more fert at the top b4 you mulch and water in well, Carlsmithii's like all Big Dypsis love lots of water and Full sun. Best time to plant is now and for the next 3 months as the longest day is just 4 days away so it will grow very well for you :greenthumb:     Pete

9 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Great size Carlsmithii Mohsen  to go in ground :greenthumb: and as Jeff said these dont need a mound    but    you have solid rock not far down true ?  

If thats correct I'd be digging deep 2 ft( if you dont hit rock b4)  throwing a handful of "good" fert ( N/cote total +te) so it attracts the roots down deep. Then  filling a good  1 ft of "best soil" available  more fert at the bottom of it, plant your carlsmithii and the add more  soil to cover the rest of the exposed roots, and mulch heavily to stop the soil from washing away during heavy rain.. Add more fert at the top b4 you mulch and water in well, Carlsmithii's like all Big Dypsis love lots of water and Full sun. Best time to plant is now and for the next 3 months as the longest day is just 4 days away so it will grow very well for you :greenthumb:     Pete

Thanks Pedro

where can I get N/cote total +te ? Does Bunnings keep them?

aldo what would be the size of hole I should dig ( area, diameter ) , I've read they could get very thick trunk in years ?

20 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pedro

where can I get N/cote total +te ? Does Bunnings keep them?

aldo what would be the size of hole I should dig ( area, diameter ) , I've read they could get very thick trunk in years ?

No probs Mohsen,   Bunnings doesnt sell Nutricote( not 20 kg bags , it may in 250gram tubs but Not Nutricote Total + TE  140 day), you'll have to do some homework on yr computer and see where the nearest outlet is on the site below and re hole diameter, the wider and deeper  the  better, as the roots are "free" to spread out, not locked in so to speak. Happy growing.  Pete

Nutricote - Yates products

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Pedro 65 said:

No probs Mohsen,   Bunnings doesnt sell Nutricote( not 20 kg bags , it may in 250gram tubs but Not Nutricote Total + TE  140 day), you'll have to do some homework on yr computer and see where the nearest outlet is on the site below and re hole diameter, the wider and deeper  the  better, as the roots are "free" to spread out, not locked in so to speak. Happy growing.  Pete

Nutricote - Yates products

Thanks Pete

really appreciate your comments

there are 2  Total +TE  140 day , which one should I get ?

12 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pete

really appreciate your comments

there are 2  Total +TE  140 day , which one should I get ?

In the US the below rating is N13 P 13  K13, correct me if Im wrong US PTalkers.

Anyway is great gear, I loveit and so do Palms.               Pete

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

It seems that my D.Carlsmithii is happy in our hot summer and has opened 2 new spears since I got it... I keep watering and watering :) Still waiting for the Landscap and then it goes to its permanent home... I hope it won't mind our winter ...love it's. almost vertical curved fronds :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Oh yeah, give it some room, that things gonna have serious trunk girth on it! 

Screenshot_2017-02-02-18-52-26.png

Edited by palmad Merc
photo
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, richnorm said:

Looks very happy. Has it rooted through the bag into the ground?

No sure, I couldn't see any roots coming out of the bag when I get it from Ben, but again, that might be the reason it's very happy ...if it's the case , what should I do now ?

5 hours ago, Mohsen said:

No sure, I couldn't see any roots coming out of the bag when I get it from Ben, but again, that might be the reason it's very happy ...if it's the case , what should I do now ?

Check for roots going into the ground. Personally I would stand it on something until planting to minimise the need to cut fresh roots that have escaped. Sounds like you will plant it soon which is good.  cheers R

• Upvote 1

I've got a group of small seedlings I sprouted, they have survived 2 winters here now protected in my shade house. I find them very slow growing.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Pip said:

I've got a group of small seedlings I sprouted, they have survived 2 winters here now protected in my shade house. I find them very slow growing.

I have another small seedlings too...it seems they are very slow specially when small and also slower in our climates ...

• 3 months later...

so far this D. Carlsmithii is my favorite palm I am growing, it has 3 new frond since I got it from Ben 6 months ago...I just hope it will go through winter fine ...

This view is from my home office window :) 

just again not so sure how often I need to water it ( used to water it every day in summer) in Autumn ( now) and in winter ?

IMG_0070.JPG

• Upvote 2