• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Alocasia/Colocasia Leaf Hardiness

Ben in Norcal

So, I've occasionally had some alocasia and colocasia in the garden, but haven't gone nuts on them because I don't like stuff that dies back in winter.  Last summer I picked up an Alocasia calidora, and this thing seems to be leaf hardy to 30 degrees, or better.  It shows no damage while the bananas in my yard got mostly toasted.  Are there other Alocasia or Colocasia that are similarly leaf hardy?  I'd love to have more of these guys in the yard, but I try to minimize deciduous or die-back things.

Tough to come across info on this, so would appreciate any thoughts or experiences!

javascript:;

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

My experience is with Alocasia calidora and Alocasia wenttii, both are evergreen here. It never see frost, but 3 weeks ago we had here snow, hail, cold rain and 34° F.

I was growing Colocasia giant thai, but here are deciduous.

My Alocasias today.

IMG_20170205_170455.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Monòver said:

My experience is with Alocasia calidora and Alocasia wenttii, both are evergreen here. It never see frost, but 3 weeks ago we had here snow, hail, cold rain and 34° F.

I was growing Colocasia giant thai, but here are deciduous.

My Alocasias today.

IMG_20170205_170455.jpg

Thanks, Antonio for the feedback and pic!  It must have been even colder there if you saw snow??

Sounds like wentii is another one for me to try!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Yes, it was a crazy day and we had snow, but the temp was 36-38° in those moments.

First time here snowing in 90 years.

Wentii is a winner. It is smaller than calidora, but it has dark green leaves on the top and purple color on the underside.

• Upvote 2

Just found a wentii online, so ordered one!

Other thoughts and suggestions welcome!

Ben Rogers

Ben, my low temps are usually in the 30's, although the last couple of years our lows have only been 37.  In the winter of 2010 it got down to 27.  The Alocasias, Xanthosomas and Colocasias we have have have persisted, some going down some winters but coming back.  However, by spring our highs are in the 80's and then we have summers in high 80's and low 90's.  I think many need that to happen to keep their energy going, so I don't know how they'd do for you.  My impression here is that many philodendrons have a similar look and might be a little more hardy.  I'll look through my photos and show you a few things we have.  Some die back somewhat in winters, but usually not totally.  They do react to cold temps though.  Here's a couple right off.

Alocasia Portei- feels cold temps, but doesn't die back totally for us.  We've had this one at least 12 years.  The next one is Alocasia Regal Shields.  This one is a little hardier, but still needs warm temps for best look

DSC_1259.JPG

• Upvote 5

Oops, here is Regal Shields with Anthurium watermaliense behind it.  Next is Philodendron stenolobum- very cold hardy here and now is up to almost seven feet tall and has clustered.  For some reason it's only letting me post one photo per post, so see next one.

DSC_0483.JPG

• Upvote 4

Thanks, Anna - a few other things for me to look into!  Heat is no issue here; lots of 80s and 90s for much of the year, and more 100s than I would like!!

Ben Rogers

6 hours ago, Josh76 said:

Great photos @annafl. Question: would you rate Philodendron stenolobum as hardier than P. selloum/bipinnatifidum?

Thanks

Thanks, Josh!  In our garden they react the same.  Neither of them has ever shown a difficult time in winter.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Thanks, Anna - a few other things for me to look into!  Heat is no issue here; lots of 80s and 90s for much of the year, and more 100s than I would like!!

Oh, I guess I thought you were in the north by your forum name!  So you think other than less humidity, your weather is similar to ours?  Every time I"ve been to CA, I've had to wear a sweater or at least long sleeves!  In that case, most or our things should do well there?  I will look for a few more photos later when I'm home.  Realize the photos were taken at a time of year when I thought the plant or something near it looked good.  All things don't necessarily look good year-round, but the stenolobum looks the same always.  The one in front is Phil. Warscewiczii.  Many think this is a difficult plant, but for some reason it's easy for us.  It may defoliate or near-defoliate for a short time in winter, but always returns quickly and unfazed.

4 minutes ago, annafl said:

Oh, I guess I thought you were in the north by your forum name!  So you think other than less humidity, your weather is similar to ours?  Every time I"ve been to CA, I've had to wear a sweater or at least long sleeves!  In that case, most or our things should do well there?  I will look for a few more photos later when I'm home.  Realize the photos were taken at a time of year when I thought the plant or something near it looked good.  All things don't necessarily look good year-round, but the stenolobum looks the same always.  The one in front is Phil. Warscewiczii.  Many think this is a difficult plant, but for some reason it's easy for us.  It may defoliate or near-defoliate for a short time in winter, but always returns quickly and unfazed.

I am in the north...bout 30 degrees inland from SF.  Average summer day would be 30-40 degrees warmer than SF...we have massive differences by microclimate here.  For about 8 months of the year it feels like I live on the surface of the sun!

Ben Rogers

3 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I am in the north...bout 30 degrees inland from SF.  Average summer day would be 30-40 degrees warmer than SF...we have massive differences by microclimate here.  For about 8 months of the year it feels like I live on the surface of the sun!

Oh, I guess I'm just not that familiar with the area.  Thanks for clarifying things!  I think of SF and how cold I feel when I go there.  Well, I don't know how humidity plays into it all and I don't know if you're interested in seeing a couple more, but I'll just show a couple more of ones that do fine in 30's here in case you're interested, although most are under canopy.  Alocasia macrorrhizos variegata in front with philodendron imbe variegata (has lost most of its variegation), climbing the oak in back.  Both are cold hardy here.  Below that is Philodendron Red Emerald, and below that is a more than six foot tall clump of Philodendron Giganteum.  The Alocasia Borneo Giant is much more of a wimp in the cold, but does return nicely in later spring.  It let me do two photos this time (maybe they're too big?), third will be in next post.

DSC_1911.JPG

DSC_1331 2.JPG

• Upvote 3

Phil. Giganteum (almost lost it winter of 2010 here- down to 27, but came back strong), and Alocasia Borneo Giant in back (cold wimp).

DSC_0679.JPG

• Upvote 4

Beautiful plants, Anna!  It looks like you have quite the lush paradise there!

Ben Rogers

10 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Beautiful plants, Anna!  It looks like you have quite the lush paradise there!

7 hours ago, Josh-O said:

cool thread !!

Thanks very much, guys.

I enjoyed this thread as well.  philodendrons, alocasias, and colocasias offer so many different shapes, sizes and colors... such beautiful shades of green.  The boreo giant and red emerald above are stunning.  

I recently bought a alocasia portora and alocasia "mayan mask".  I do not have a clue how they'll fair in my climate, but we'll see.  anybody on this forum growing these?

• Upvote 1

Grant
Long Beach, CA

14 hours ago, grant b. said:

I enjoyed this thread as well.  philodendrons, alocasias, and colocasias offer so many different shapes, sizes and colors... such beautiful shades of green.  The boreo giant and red emerald above are stunning.  

I recently bought a alocasia portora and alocasia "mayan mask".  I do not have a clue how they'll fair in my climate, but we'll see.  anybody on this forum growing these?

Aroids have always had a place in my heart for the reasons you state.  Grant, I've had A. Portora in the past and it's very tough- sort of like Calidora.  I've never had A. Mayan Mask, but it looks beautiful and reads tough as well.  It's hybridizer, Brian Williams usually hybridizes for more cold-tolerant alocasias.  I think he lives in Kentucky or somewhere up there.  Sounds like you have a couple of winners!  Here are a couple more I have.  The climber is Philodendron Billetia.  It's really tough too, and always looks good.  Took years before it started climbing, but now it's going strong.  If it had a bit more sun, the petioles would show more gold color.  The second one is Xanthosoma Lime Zinger.  Very durable, but can look just a little shabby, but not too bad after it's been in the 30's.  This photo is in late spring/early summer so it looks perfect there.

DSC_1907.jpg

DSC_1912 2.jpg

Edited by annafl
  • Upvote 3

great feedback on the portora.  thanks for sharing pictures of your plants as well.  you have some real beautiful specimen and a lush tropical look going on.  now I'm on the hunt for more aroids

Grant
Long Beach, CA

8 minutes ago, grant b. said:

great feedback on the portora.  thanks for sharing pictures of your plants as well.  you have some real beautiful specimen and a lush tropical look going on.  now I'm on the hunt for more aroids

Thanks, Grant.  I find them rewarding here.  I find many philodendrons more tolerant of cold than alocasias, and colocasias seem to be the least tolerant for me- in general.  Another suggestion is the bird's nest anthuriums like the hookeri hybrids.  For me, they are as tolerant as many of the philodendrons.  I can't really say that about other anthuriums, though.  The only exception here might be Anthurium watermaliense which has done great over the last two or three mild winters, so hasn't really been tested.  The photo is of an unknown anthurium hookeri hybrid just left of center.  If the second one comes through, it's the watermaliense.  Have fun on your hunt!

DSC_0665.JPG

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, annafl said:

Thanks, Grant.  I find them rewarding here.  I find many philodendrons more tolerant of cold than alocasias, and colocasias seem to be the least tolerant for me- in general.  Another suggestion is the bird's nest anthuriums like the hookeri hybrids.  For me, they are as tolerant as many of the philodendrons.  I can't really say that about other anthuriums, though.  The only exception here might be Anthurium watermaliense which has done great over the last two or three mild winters, so hasn't really been tested.  The photo is of an unknown anthurium hookeri hybrid just left of center.  If the second one comes through, it's the watermaliense.  Have fun on your hunt!

DSC_0665.JPG

Anna ,I love the way you combine and layer your plants. A very rich and textural tropical garden.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

5 hours ago, annafl said:

DSC_0665.JPG

Well, now I am on the hunt as well, as you can see!  I am surprised about the Anthurium; I thought they couldn't take any cold.

Ben Rogers

15 hours ago, scottgt said:

Anna ,I love the way you combine and layer your plants. A very rich and textural tropical garden.

Thanks so much, Scott.  Our garden is my passion.

13 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Well, now I am on the hunt as well, as you can see!  I am surprised about the Anthurium; I thought they couldn't take any cold.

Ben, you can see all the foliage around them and they are very near a canopy.  The others I have are in similar locations.  However, even in the winter of 2010, there were only a few burnt tips.  I am talking only of these bird's nest anthuriums.  I only have a few other kinds, because many would fry in a mild winter.  I am testing the watermaliense and so far so good.  Realize these are only in my conditions with a lot of humidity and summer rains.  I don't know how they'd do for you, but they do great right here in my garden.  Here is the Anthurium watermaliense that's been here two or three winters.  It's attaching itself to this boulder now.  By the way, you can see there's another bird's nest anthurium right behind this one.  I've had that one maybe five or six years and it's my favorite.  Very broad and wavy leaves and shorter:

DSC_0751.JPG

Edited by annafl
  • Upvote 4

13 hours ago, annafl said:

Thanks so much, Scott.  Our garden is my passion.

Ben, you can see all the foliage around them and they are very near a canopy.  The others I have are in similar locations.  However, even in the winter of 2010, there were only a few burnt tips.  I am talking only of these bird's nest anthuriums.  I only have a few other kinds, because many would fry in a mild winter.  I am testing the watermaliense and so far so good.  Realize these are only in my conditions with a lot of humidity and summer rains.  I don't know how they'd do for you, but they do great right here in my garden.  Here is the Anthurium watermaliense that's been here two or three winters.  It's attaching itself to this boulder now.  By the way, you can see there's another bird's nest anthurium right behind this one.  I've had that one maybe five or six years and it's my favorite.  Very broad and wavy leaves and shorter:

DSC_0751.JPG

The one in back almost has foliage like Ficus dammaropsis.  I'll have to see if I can find any of these?

Ben Rogers

10 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

The one in back almost has foliage like Ficus dammaropsis.  I'll have to see if I can find any of these?

I think we found this one at PHOE in Miami.  They really specialize more in begonias, but this one caught my eye and I'm glad it did.  I think my others have A. schlechtendalii as a parent, as the berries are bright red, but this one has pinkish berries.  It grows a baby every now and then- you can see one behind it- but the leaves tend not to be quite as broad or dark.  I'm letting that one grow to see what it turns into.

• Upvote 1

I am not a fan of colocasias because I prefer the upright look of many alocasias instead. 

In the alocasia world, my understanding is that the best cold-hardiness comes from Alocasia Odora.  This hardiness was passed on to Alocasia Portora, aka. Alocasia Portadora because it gets the leaf-hardiness from the Alocasia Odora parent and the attractive wrinkly leaf look from the other parent.  This hybrid was developed here (link below), but apparently went rogue and is being sold in garden centres now:  

http://aroidiaresearch.org/hybrids.htm

From the same people in the link above, I purchased two other hybrids but I can't remember exactly what they are.  I believe one is the Alocasia x robudora (Alocasia odora x Alocasia robusta) and the other is a hybrid of Alocasia Odora and Alocasia Macrorrhizos 'Borneo Giant' (but don't quote me).  At the time, I remember buying them because I wanted huge, upright leaves with as much cold-hardiness as possible. As mentioned above, the Borneo Giant will wilt in the 40s Fahrenheit, so the Alocasia Odora hybridization is essential to give those big leaves an extra long season of green.  Any hybrid containing Alocasia Odora seems to stay green and healthy down to roughly 30 degrees Fahrenheit, although at that temperature I have had a couple of leaves wilt whereas other leaves on the very same plant stayed upright and perfect ---- so I really can't say a precise temperature at which the leaves die back.  In any case, if they do die back, they will spring back to live in March anyway.    

If you buy any of their rare hybrids, they will ask you to sign an agreement not to proliferate, gift or sell any pups because Aroid Research owns the proprietary rights to its hybrids.  

On 2/14/2017, 10:07:47, Sandy Loam said:

I am not a fan of colocasias because I prefer the upright look of many alocasias instead. 

In the alocasia world, my understanding is that the best cold-hardiness comes from Alocasia Odora.  This hardiness was passed on to Alocasia Portora, aka. Alocasia Portadora because it gets the leaf-hardiness from the Alocasia Odora parent and the attractive wrinkly leaf look from the other parent.  This hybrid was developed here (link below), but apparently went rogue and is being sold in garden centres now:  

http://aroidiaresearch.org/hybrids.htm

From the same people in the link above, I purchased two other hybrids but I can't remember exactly what they are.  I believe one is the Alocasia x robudora (Alocasia odora x Alocasia robusta) and the other is a hybrid of Alocasia Odora and Alocasia Macrorrhizos 'Borneo Giant' (but don't quote me).  At the time, I remember buying them because I wanted huge, upright leaves with as much cold-hardiness as possible. As mentioned above, the Borneo Giant will wilt in the 40s Fahrenheit, so the Alocasia Odora hybridization is essential to give those big leaves an extra long season of green.  Any hybrid containing Alocasia Odora seems to stay green and healthy down to roughly 30 degrees Fahrenheit, although at that temperature I have had a couple of leaves wilt whereas other leaves on the very same plant stayed upright and perfect ---- so I really can't say a precise temperature at which the leaves die back.  In any case, if they do die back, they will spring back to live in March anyway.    

If you buy any of their rare hybrids, they will ask you to sign an agreement not to proliferate, gift or sell any pups because Aroid Research owns the proprietary rights to its hybrids.  

Great info!  Any idea how variegated A. odora hold variegation?

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

The variegated Alocasia macrorhizos in my Feb. 6th post is also very hardy and has kept its variegation nicely over several years.  Very occasionally it puts out a leaf with little variegation and I do cut it off just in case.  It stays much smaller than the non-variegated one, reaching only about two feet or a little more here.  Maybe I don't fertilize it enough!

22 minutes ago, annafl said:

The variegated Alocasia macrorhizos in my Feb. 6th post is also very hardy and has kept its variegation nicely over several years.  Very occasionally it puts out a leaf with little variegation and I do cut it off just in case.  It stays much smaller than the non-variegated one, reaching only about two feet or a little more here.  Maybe I don't fertilize it enough!

Thanks Anna!  I just found a variegated A odora on eBay so looking forward to that addition!  I hope it holds it.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On 2/8/2017, 5:12:35, annafl said:

Aroids have always had a place in my heart for the reasons you state.  Grant, I've had A. Portora in the past and it's very tough- sort of like Calidora.  I've never had A. Mayan Mask, but it looks beautiful and reads tough as well.  It's hybridizer, Brian Williams usually hybridizes for more cold-tolerant alocasias.  I think he lives in Kentucky or somewhere up there.  Sounds like you have a couple of winners!  Here are a couple more I have.  The climber is Philodendron Billetia.  It's really tough too, and always looks good.  Took years before it started climbing, but now it's going strong.  If it had a bit more sun, the petioles would show more gold color.  The second one is Xanthosoma Lime Zinger.  Very durable, but can look just a little shabby, but not too bad after it's been in the 30's.  This photo is in late spring/early summer so it looks perfect there.

DSC_1907.jpg

DSC_1912 2.jpg

I have to ask, what is the plant with the red flower spikes?

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

Alpinia purpurata?

Ben Rogers

3 hours ago, Hammer said:

Adam, it's Costus barbatus or Costus comosus.  I don't know the difference.  This ginger has been in my garden for nine or ten years in two places.  This photo is from last May or June when it was at its best.  The squirrels decided they like the taste of the fresh stalks, so it hasn't been as full the last few years.  They eat most of the new growth.  Alpinia purpurata is just a little too tropical for my climate but I think it fares pretty well in South Florida.  I'm in central Florida on the Gulf Coast.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, annafl said:

Adam, it's Costus barbatus or Costus comosus.  I don't know the difference.  This ginger has been in my garden for nine or ten years in two places.  This photo is from last May or June when it was at its best.  The squirrels decided they like the taste of the fresh stalks, so it hasn't been as full the last few years.  They eat most of the new growth.  Alpinia purpurata is just a little too tropical for my climate but I think it fares pretty well in South Florida.  I'm in central Florida on the Gulf Coast.

Ok great to know.  Probably a better fit for SoCal and our long cool winters. Thanks so much!

• Upvote 1

Yes, thanks Anna - another one to try, just found C. barbatus on eBay!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

13 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Yes, thanks Anna - another one to try, just found C. barbatus on eBay!

You don't know until you try!  I do a lot of that.  This plant is not crazy about winters- especially when it is cold and wet.  It can get bacterial or fungal spot.  If you look closely in my photo, some leaf edges are brown.  That's the one thing I don't like about it.  Probably doesn't happen in a warmer climate.

3 hours ago, annafl said:

You don't know until you try!  I do a lot of that.  This plant is not crazy about winters- especially when it is cold and wet.  It can get bacterial or fungal spot.  If you look closely in my photo, some leaf edges are brown.  That's the one thing I don't like about it.  Probably doesn't happen in a warmer climate.

Well, I am definitely not warmer in winter - cool and damp here.  But, always about experimentation.  Half of the palms I have growing here, very few others around here grow.

Ben Rogers