• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhopalostylis baueri growing at Latitude 42 deg

Tassie_Troy1971

Rhopalostylis baueri -in my garden
This palm is native to Norfolk Island on Mt Pitt. I planted this palm as a small seedling in 2009 12cm approx it has grow very well and wont be far away from trunking.

It has taken full Summer sun and loves plenty of compost and liquid kelp.

18191304_10154809669488089_1668561172_n.18197919_10154809669293089_1001953474_n.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 14

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

1 hour ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

This palm is native to Norfolk Island on Mt Pitt. I planted this palm as a small seedling in 2009 12cm approx it has grow very well and wont be far away from trunking.

18191304_10154809669488089_1668561172_n.18197919_10154809669293089_1001953474_n.

it is a beauty for sure ...good job Troy, I think I have very small seedlings and I should find somewhere to plant them ,,,Do they have Heels as your palm looks a bit tilted ?

Thanks Randy

• Yes Mohsen they do have heels 

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Troy

Ran screaming down the street

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks Randy

On 30/04/2017, 12:45:41, DoomsDave said:

Troy

Ran screaming down the street

Dave i just love it when you run screaming down the street in your check pants

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Am I the only one that looks at these photos and wonders why those fronds were cut prematurely?.. I thought it was a consensus, about early trimming not being good for the palm--transferable nutrients... speeding up the plant for smaller growth... am I missing something? 

The fronds were sun burnt and dried out. The new ones are used to full sun now.

Troy

• Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

I guess I am just a natural guy-I can see where green was cut; that always makes me cringe...

Aside from my personal, I also run the botanical aspect of a botanical garden. I would never cut, nor would anyone be allowed to cut any green palm foliage. Of course, this doesn't stop the yard crew, at my in-laws...  :rant:

• 5 years later...
On 4/29/2017 at 2:11 PM, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

I wonder if you have some seeds for sale ?I am student , and we doing a project on arecae flora ( subtropical and temperate palms ).We need some seeds of nikau palm Pitt island or Chatham island varieties  , it is very difficult to find them . I know that these varieties is often planted in city plantings in Auckland , Northland and Auckland botanical gardens , I can also find tree locations of these ones in Auckland for you , so it will be easier to know exact place where they grow and you can collect seeds of them. I think they will be ripped    after Christmas ?You are my last hope , i hope you will be able to help me ,  we are also in big need for Rhopalostylis baueri seeds.. norfolk nikau , this one is also very common in City plantings or in botanical garden in Auckland . Both Pitt and Chatham Nikau , and Norfolk Nikau is fast growers , compared to Auckland variety of Nikau or mainland variety of Nikau .
Norfolk and Kermadec Nikau called for rhopalostylis baueri var. cheesemanii, and Rhopalostylis Baueri, Rhopalostylis sapida sp. Oceanica.( Chatham island variety ) I will ofcourse pay you extra for collecting them for me. You are my last hope , since I don’t know anybody Else from NZ who sale seeds, and it feels like I will never finish this project

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 9:30 PM, Alexstudent said:

I wonder if you have some seeds for sale ?I am student , and we doing a project on arecae flora ( subtropical and temperate palms ).We need some seeds of nikau palm Pitt island or Chatham island varieties  , it is very difficult to find them . I know that these varieties is often planted in city plantings in Auckland , Northland and Auckland botanical gardens , I can also find tree locations of these ones in Auckland for you , so it will be easier to know exact place where they grow and you can collect seeds of them. I think they will be ripped    after Christmas ?You are my last hope , i hope you will be able to help me ,  we are also in big need for Rhopalostylis baueri seeds.. norfolk nikau , this one is also very common in City plantings or in botanical garden in Auckland . Both Pitt and Chatham Nikau , and Norfolk Nikau is fast growers , compared to Auckland variety of Nikau or mainland variety of Nikau .
Norfolk and Kermadec Nikau called for rhopalostylis baueri var. cheesemanii, and Rhopalostylis Baueri, Rhopalostylis sapida sp. Oceanica.( Chatham island variety ) I will ofcourse pay you extra for collecting them for me. You are my last hope , since I don’t know anybody Else from NZ who sale seeds, and it feels like I will never finish this project

I'm not sure if the nikaus on the Scilly isles are the mainland ones or the sp oceanica, if they are those they will be more easy to source.

2 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

I'm not sure if the nikaus on the Scilly isles are the mainland ones or the sp oceanica, if they are those they will be more easy to source.

They look like mainland variety especially when you consider the seedling volunteers there. However they are an awesome seed source for that part of the world. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here is one I haven’t posted yet on Tresco. Would you say it is Baueri? It certainly looks different to the others, but I suspect there is a lot of variation between Sapida specimens and their original populations/sources?

BA365C1B-D01E-4B77-A924-99EB4866E21D.thumb.jpeg.f9e322d9930acc0de2e19fc6429d338f.jpeg

• Like 2

Dry-summer Oceanic / Warm summer Med (Csb) - 9a

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

9 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

I talked to the main gardener he said them Are from southern part of southern Island , around banks peninsula 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Here is one I haven’t posted yet on Tresco. Would you say it is Baueri? It certainly looks different to the others, but I suspect there is a lot of variation between Sapida specimens and their original populations/sources?

BA365C1B-D01E-4B77-A924-99EB4866E21D.thumb.jpeg.f9e322d9930acc0de2e19fc6429d338f.jpeg

Hello , no they have just planted sapida , but they have some 1 year old seedlings of baueri in greenhouse that yet not planted outside , I think baueri will not survive there. Sapida also grow a lot slower there than in France or Nz. And seeds smaller in the size 

30 minutes ago, Alexstudent said:

I talked to the main gardener he said them Are from southern part of southern Island , around banks peninsula 

I am sitting on a goldmine of Tresco Rhopie photos. Either the South Island ones around Banks Peninsula have a ton of variation, or there are different types present on Tresco. I am no Rhopie expert, but I think I saw enough on Saturday to suggest there is more than one type there, even if they are 90%> Banks Peninsula ones.

27 minutes ago, Alexstudent said:

Hello , no they have just planted sapida , but they have some 1 year old seedlings of baueri in greenhouse that yet not planted outside , I think baueri will not survive there. Sapida also grow a lot slower there than in France or Nz. And seeds smaller in the size 

The head gardener, Andrew, informed me that Kew has sent various smaller specimens over the years. I doubt they have only ever tried South Island specimens either, given that there is a 7 foot Archontophoenix growing there too, which was planted tiny. They would have tried a few different types, especially in recent years. I may need Troy or Tyrone to confirm, but that photo I uploaded above does look like Baueri, or some other variant. Maybe a Chatham Island perhaps?

• Like 2

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

2 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Yes, to me  that looks R. baueri (more arching tips on the leaves) .  and that palm to the left  looks like Hedyscepe .  Bloody awesome.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PalmCode said:

Yes, to me  that looks R. baueri (more arching tips on the leaves) .  and that palm to the left  looks like Hedyscepe .  Bloody awesome.

There was too much to cover in such little time, since I had to do the day trip via the ferry. Ideally you need to spend 2-3 days on Tresco and visit the gardens twice to appreciate everything. If you haven’t seen my recent Tresco thread, it is well worth a read. I wish I took more photos of the Rhopies in that particular area as many looked different. Perhaps some of it is just natural variation between the same types, or due to different amounts of shade/sunlight. However looking at these two pictures the differences are clearly visible and I am no expert on Rhopies. If that is a Hesyscepe next to it the ‘baueri’, then I stupidly failed to document it properly!

375938EF-5285-478A-BC9E-F33328CDE348.thumb.jpeg.bb47fbec25606356decb0ada3a0cb0bd.jpeg

973CF45E-11DC-42FB-9051-FE4D1BD92B25.thumb.jpeg.4623aeb04e892c58ddb450c5da96bf9c.jpeg

@Foxpalms Please try and dig out the Juania at Tresco as I think I may have missed it! I properly focused on documenting all the Rhopalostylis there. I hope your trip goes well and your crossing wasn’t too choppy!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Looks like baueri to me.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Albey said:

baueri

Found it will post photos  later since I'm looking around today haven't found the juania yet found kentias and archontophoenix so far.

29 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

Found it will post photos  later since I'm looking around today haven't found the juania yet found kentias and archontophoenix so far.

Good work! I bet there are other Baueri’s and Chatham/Pitt Island ones lurking there. I know they would have been experimenting quite a bit with stuff. There was so many Rhopies I couldn’t cover everything in one trip. It took me a while to locate the Archontophoenix and I only spotted one small Kentia that was entirely shade grown. Hopefully you get some shots of the Hedyscepe too?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Good work! I bet there are other Baueri’s and Chatham/Pitt Island ones lurking there. I know they would have been experimenting quite a bit with stuff. There was so many Rhopies I couldn’t cover everything in one trip. It took me a while to locate the Archontophoenix and I only spotted one small Kentia that was entirely shade grown. Hopefully you get some shots of the Hedyscepe too?

What palm is that next to?

20 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

What palm is that next to?

It’s right near the Baueri apparently. @PalmCode pointed it out in my photo in one of the posts above. We could do with some more photos to verify it. That Juania must be hidden well too. They definitely have one but I think I missed it. Makes me wonder what else is lurking out there?

Edited by UK_Palms

1 minute ago, UK_Palms said:

It’s right near the Baueri apparently. @PalmCode pointed it out in my photo in one of the posts above. We could do with some more photos to verify it. That Juania must be hidden well too. They definitely have one but I think I missed it. Makes me wonder what else is lurking out there?

Didn't notice it but I have plenty of photos and videos of around the baueri. They said they don't think they have one but I'll upload photos later anyway.

7 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

Didn't notice it but I have plenty of photos and videos of around the baueri. They said they don't think they have one but I'll upload photos later anyway.

No worries. Like Tyrone mentioned in the Tresco thread, they should plant a load of Archontophoenix, Kentia & Baueri’s. I don’t think it will ever get cold enough again now to wipe established ones out. I was going to say that Tresco has the furthest Baueri from the equator, but it is obviously the furthest Nikau habitat in general from the equator. Makes you wonder what it will all look like in another decade with seedlings sprouting in every nook and cranny. It will be a forest of Nikau’s! :laugh2:

Again, I wouldn't say that is a Hedyscepe. Too many leaves and not so droopy as hedyscepe. However, if they can grow Archontophoenix and Rhopalostylis and Howeas, they can also grow hedyscepes,  kentia belmoreana and Lepidorrhachis. 

13 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

That to me looks like it has Chatham Island traits in it. I would be surprised if they haven’t tried them if the mainland forms do well. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

10 hours ago, gurugu said:

Again, I wouldn't say that is a Hedyscepe. Too many leaves and not so droopy as hedyscepe. However, if they can grow Archontophoenix and Rhopalostylis and Howeas, they can also grow hedyscepes,  kentia belmoreana and Lepidorrhachis. 

I wonder what it is then? the long petioles and leaves remind me of my one. Looks like theres some white powder on the base of the trunk as well.  But im probably wrong.

Edited by PalmCode

7 hours ago, PalmCode said:

I wonder what it is then? the long petioles and leaves remind me of my one. Looks like theres some white powder on the base of the trunk as well.  But im probably wrong.

I'm not sure at all. I was talking about the palm at the front. The one at the back on the left could more easily be. And if you say it has white tomentum at the base, then, it probably is hedyscepe. If so, that would be a good finding. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 12:51 AM, Tyrone said:

That to me looks like it has Chatham Island traits in it. I would be surprised if they haven’t tried them if the mainland forms do well. 

Yeah, I’m not sold on the Baeuri either. Here’s a pic I took of mine the other day. It has really recurved leaves and a definite hint of purple in the petioles. 

-dale

2A8B4C09-9E0E-4805-B7BB-A15D9CFE528D.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Billeb said:

Yeah, I’m not sold on the Baeuri either. Here’s a pic I took of mine the other day. It has really recurved leaves and a definite hint of purple in the petioles. 

-dale

2A8B4C09-9E0E-4805-B7BB-A15D9CFE528D.jpeg

Here's the rhopalostylis baueri var. cheesemanii

Screenshot_20220916-081730430 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20220916-081927720 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20220916-081941147 (1).jpg

2 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

Some photos more photos of it @UK_Palms @Tyroneshould be more easy to identify 

Screenshot_20220916-064141702 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20220916-064236502 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20220916-064328320 (1).jpg

Now i see it closer up, looking at the trunk id have to say that would be another Baeuri or other form rhopalistylis not a hedy . Apologies for jumping the gun there. it's just that  drooping leave on the first photo got me hoping.

39 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

@PalmCodeThey should definitely try one there though as well as Howea Belmoreana if it's warm enough for archontophoenix Alexandrae to grow those should be fine.

I wonder if they have ever tried a Beccariophoenix Alfredii on Tresco? Probably not, although I think one would survive up against a wall with overhead cover. They could do with planting some Parajubaea’s too (all types) since they are doing well on the mainland in protected areas. As for the Norfolk Island pines, which are dropping cones, I think they are almost as big as the biggest ones on Norfolk Island now. It says a lot about the potential on Tresco and Scilly Isles in general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

I wonder if they have ever tried a Beccariophoenix Alfredii on Tresco? Probably not, although I think one would survive up against a wall with overhead cover. They could do with planting some Parajubaea’s too (all types) since they are doing well on the mainland in protected areas. As for the Norfolk Island pines, which are dropping cones, I think they are almost as big as the biggest ones on Norfolk Island now. It says a lot about the potential on Tresco and Scilly Isles in general.

I always thought Beccariopheonix Alfredeii needed lots of heat so to grow but I'm not sure on that, if it doesn't then I will try one here. I'm guessing majesty palms though hardy enough wouldn't have enough heat in the winter and slowly decline and die. Chamedorea species would do well but they said they don't plant alot of those since they are too small to be impressive enough for the gardens. Some bougainvillea, jacarandas and monstera deliciosa would be nice too on tresco. Archontophoenix maxima, archontophoenix purperea,  Howea Belmoreana, Chrysalidocarpus baronii,  Chrysalidocarpus onilahensis, Beccariophoenix alfredii, phoenix roebelenii, Phoenix reclinata, jubeaopsis caffra and all chamedorea other than microspadix and radicalis, chamaedorea klotzschiana, chamaedorea plumosa, chamaedorea elegans, chamaedorea cataractarum to name a few. These need to be tried in London and the south west coastal areas as well as  jersey and the Scilly isles. Phoenix dactylifera and phoenix Sylvesteris need to be tried/experimented with more in London I find both easy to grow. As for syagrus romanzoffianana it's a palm that could grow in Cornwall but I'd recommend more for London because they need alot of heat to grow well as well as warm summer nights and London is the only place that has that in the summer (of course they should still be tried elsewhere but say in terms of future public plantings that won't get protected ect) and in the cool long winters here I find they prefer to be drier (lower rainfall and humidity) is more important than the cold itself since queen's are pretty cold hardy but not wet soil plus cold hardy.

Edited by Foxpalms

Does this leaf detail look similar to the palm in question? This is one of my Chathams in what is a very shady spot. Hard to photograph the palm well and I had to pull the tree fern out of its frond to photograph it. 

BF091328-2828-4D0F-A0E4-E9999CE16F18.jpeg

2BC0B0EB-F4A3-4D06-B881-00F06FBBB38A.jpeg

It’s in this garden bed and it’s the view from my kitchen window. 

B8D9929F-1B52-4AE2-A639-420950D2D1D4.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Does this leaf detail look similar to the palm in question? This is one of my Chathams in what is a very shady spot. Hard to photograph the palm well and I had to pull the tree fern out of its frond to photograph it. 

It looks like it could be a chatam, yours shows similar traits to  the palm in question ... This is the closest  baueri var. cheesemanii i have that resembles it, this one is a few years younger and grown in a pot though.

a101_0243.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...