• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cordyline manners-suttoniae

Eric in Orlando

Anyone else growing Cordyline manners-suttoniae ? It is native to Queensland, Australia where it grows in swamps and rain forests. These specimens were planted here at Leu Gardens back in March 2008. They have thrived and have grown to about 10 feet tall. The flowers are white and in panicles. The bright red fruit is very showy against the glossy green foliage and stands out in the darker shade. 

cordman2.jpg

cordman3.jpg

cordman4.jpg

cordman1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Nice!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I collected some seed a number of years back but I've found the seedlings very slow growing. Probably need a lot more water than they're getting through our dry season. Would have been a lot better with cuttings though.

They do like lots of water. When I grew these from seed they were slow at first but eventually became fast, robust growers. 

I've tried seeds from our plants but no germination so I guess they aren't getting pollinated. And I haven't ever found any stray seedlings underneath them.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I wonder if any breeders have tried to cross this with cultivars of Cordyline fruticosa to develop very large colored hybrids.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎28‎:‎05‎, Eric in Orlando said:

I wonder if any breeders have tried to cross this with cultivars of Cordyline fruticosa to develop very large colored hybrids.

It is a locally native species to where I live. Occurs from Central coastal Queensland up to North Queensland....... Loves growing along my creek and will grow in full sun with no problems......... I also have a narrow leaved form of it as well as a variegated form. 

• Upvote 1

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Wow, a variegated form! Do you have a photo of it?

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

We are also growing Cordyline petiolaris from eastern Australia. It looks similar but has more narrow leaves.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

16 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Wow, a variegated form! Do you have a photo of it?

16 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

We are also growing Cordyline petiolaris from eastern Australia. It looks similar but has more narrow leaves.

Eric I Will try to get a photo of it during daylight and post it......... It is in pretty bad shape after Cyclone Debbie flattened the place........ Cordyline petiolaris is probably my favourite native Cordyline. It is a subtropical species that doesn't occur this far north although I do have one growing. The form I have has red strips on the leaves during the cooler months and was found by a collector in a gully west of Brisbane. I can't really photograph it as it is still recovering from being shredded during the cyclone. I will see if I have a photo from last year of it.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland