• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Critters on my Parajubaea sunkha inflorescences

Alberto

Tonight I went outside to look at some palms and found something very strange. Two of the opened Parajubaea sunkha inflorescences ''were covered'' with Rhynchophorus palmaram bugs.[I found 12 ] I also imediatelly took a look at Butia inflorescences nearby where they were totally absent. My sunkhas are flowering for some years but I noticed that the female flowers are always perfurated and practically doesn´t form fruits. Now I found the cullprit. I don´t know why this inflorescences are such a magnet for this critters, 

DSCN8904.JPG

Edited by Alberto
  • Upvote 3

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

They bore the female flowers. I collected all the insects I found and today will spray the crowns with an insecticide. They are a common sight here, but never found so many on an inflorescence.....:bemused:

• Upvote 3

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Maybe flowers produce kairomones (most certainly), which attract in masses certain beetles. This is verified with respect to male flowers of Phoenix specimens and the rpw. It was namely observed that in a population of healthy specimens, rpw attacks first or preferably the male individuals. Let us see in the future, whether there is going to be a developed inflorescence in every case or merely peduncles with the rest part eaten away. At least this happens on my palms during the last couple of years, but some people do not think rpw to be the culprit but rather mice and squirrels.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

Maybe flowers produce kairomones (most certainly), which attract in masses certain beetles. This is verified with respect to male flowers of Phoenix specimens and the rpw. It was namely observed that in a population of healthy specimens, rpw attacks first or preferably the male individuals. Let us see in the future, whether there is going to be a developed inflorescence in every case or merely peduncles with the rest part eaten away. At least this happens on my palms during the last couple of years, but some people do not think rpw to be the culprit but rather mice and squirrels.

What frightens me is,If these RPW goes after male inflorescence and raw seeds,In course of time there want be any offsprings from these particular palms.Leave alone their direct damage to the palms.

What brings shivers in my spine is our date palm here is a male.And for about 4 years it has not flowered but is pushing new spears and is moving upwards.

I have been feeding our palms generously with Di-Amonium  phosphate(N-P-K 18-46-0) none of our palms put out seeds or inflorescence.So if some of you want to eradicate the RPW you can use this fertz so that,these weevil's are less attracted to your male palms.While hitting hard on the RPW with chemical based insecticides on infected palms.

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Today I bought feromones used in dendê  plantations to atract de Rhynchophorus palmarum to traps. I want to reduce this critters here

• Upvote 2

During the day you can find one or another R. palmarum if lucky on trunks or palm leaves.. But at night they meet at the inflorescences of my Parajubaea sunkha and my Butia x Parajubaea cocoides. Zero, totally absent  on the big Butia eriospatha and big Butia yatay inflorescences. Parajubaeas inflorescence are a magnet for this bugs. Tonight I collected 49 more taking a close look at my BxJ also

Edited by Alberto
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Alberto said:

totally absent  on the big Butia eriospatha and big Butia yatay inflorescences. Parajubaeas inflorescence are a magnet for this bugs. Tonight I collected "49 more" taking a close look at my BxJ also

:o Your garden has turned into a RPW meeting ground ? I assume you too have moved away from using chemical pesticides/ insecticides all these years and had resorted to organic farm.I.e treating pests through bio methods.

You must act fast,before its too late for your palms.Since the RPW are there to attack your palms.First they feed and then they attack.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, this aren´t the asian Red palm weevil R. ferrugineus but the R. palmarum,  the native black weevil, and that is part of our ecosystem and not as destructive as the Rhynchophorus ferrugineus. But some years ago I had severe damage on my Phoenix canariensis and so I want not to risk any palm ,so  i will capture this critters with traps to reduce there numbers. It is good to know they are attracted to the Parajubaea flowers so I can collect them every night also

• Upvote 3

Tonight I found 16 bugs.

I know now they meet on the Parajubaea to feed on the female flowers and to copulate. Maybe half of the insects were ''attached together'', not necessarily copulating,but close.

When our Cactus flowers,i see many peculiar colourful small beetles somewhat like lady bird beetle.These are seen only during the flowering season in cactus.i.e in Mid spring. I don't take chances so take out mosquito "Hit" an aerosol spray and just spray on them.Whether they are good fellas or bad does not matter since we have a CIDP and bizzy palm growing in our garden.

After spraying just in 2 minutes all these guys are down. and there is no effect on the plants around.i.e no burning or drying of leaves seen.

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif