• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How hardy is Philodendron bipinnatifidum

Palm crazy

I have a big cold spell coming this week and its suppose to last for 6-7 days. Highs around 37-38F and lows around 25F.... My lowest this winter so far has been 27F and I put a blanket on the Philodendron that night and it did just fine but the daytime temps where in the mid 40s.  Now I am thinking I need to bring this potted plant inside this week. My elephant ears are mostly green to but their in the ground. 

NIght at 25F/-3.8C for 7 days/ So is this to much for this plant? Should I bring inside? This is a large plant just starting to trunk. Thanks! 

Sounds too nice to risk. I wouldn't risk it - in fact, I'm surprised it even took 27 degrees! I would have thought 45ish! 

30 minutes ago, santoury said:

Sounds too nice to risk. I wouldn't risk it - in fact, I'm surprised it even took 27 degrees! I would have thought 45ish! 

The leaves extent out to about 6' wide. I've never had it outside this late before but it been mild up to now. Planter is next to house on the westside with other plants surrounding it and I did put a blanket over it when it got down to 27F. I have it on the back porch this evening to dry it out and then tomorrow evening I will put inside the house till the end of February, March will go outside again. Thanks for inquiring about it. The colder weather will hit here starting Friday. 

I just remember theres a smaller one growing in front of a store so I will see how it does.... its planted in a pot under a large over hang so that should give it some extra protection and its south facing. 

I'm not sure of the variety, but many people down here in 9a have them planted in their yards. They sail through mid to low 20's. Some are monsters.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Laaz said:

I'm not sure of the variety, but many people down here in 9a have them planted in their yards. They sail through mid to low 20's. Some are monsters.

Laaz its probably the same one I have philodendron bipinnatifidum selloum, which I think is the hardiest. The cold spell is looking better and not as long, but I think I will still bring inside for a while anyways. :D I got mine 5 years ago at H.D. as a sun grown plant. 

Edited by Palm crazy

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update of the two small philodendron planted in front of second hand store. This area is south facing / with a nice overhang. Low in Decemember was 25F. Hopefully these two will look good all winter. 

Mine have some spotting on the leaves since I have no sun or overhead protect. 

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an indoor update of my Philodendron... notice that the old leaves did get some damage when it was outside and endured 27F in December, but none of the new growth has any damage. Also, the ones in front of the store are doing good also. 

I'm going to keep inside the house until April gets here, my low for January (outside) was 29F. Growing in my bedroom in an east facing window.

DSC_0005.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Good Question!  Mine are pretty inconsistent.  They took damage from the 2 freezes we just had (low of 28F), but hadn't taken damage in previous years from lower temperatures (26F).

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

Good Question!  Mine are pretty inconsistent.  They took damage from the 2 freezes we just had (low of 28F), but hadn't taken damage in previous years from lower temperatures (26F).

The great thing for Y'all is that you have winter heat! Here the highs in winter are mostly 40's and chilly, rainy and when it is not raining, it's cloudy. LOL!  By April I'll put it outside for the summer and it will start growing pretty good by June. The goal is to get a nice trunk on it. :D

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2017, 3:33:11, Laaz said:

I think for trunking ones, those temps are about their limits. I'm guessing in 8b S.E. they are perennials due to the long growing season. 

I know plants seem to deal with cold differently here in California than they do on east coast... but this species is grown all over southern California and even in extensive public (city) landscaping displays... we routinely get down into the high 20s in some of these areas and this plant would be gone if it did not have at least some frost hardiness... but as for my own plants, which are relatively small (only 3'-4' tall) they did fine until temps got down to about 26F for a full 7 hours and that made them wilt... did not die, though.  Never seen any cold damage on this species with temps above 28F... easily handles 32F for extended periods (days in a row)... but below 25F it pretty much melts to the ground.

Below is my plant after 27F, and some landscaping plants exposed to 26F in the valley area.

Philodendron bipinnatifidum cold damage mine.jpg

Philodendron bipinnatifidum cold damage So Cal.jpg

Philodendron bipinnatifidum more cold damage So Cal.jpg

• Upvote 3

Does anyone have experience with Philodendron "Chumley"? It is supposed to be a cold hardy "miniature" version discovered on a mountain in Uruguay (I believe) and now grown by a gentleman in Florida.  I have attempted to get a small offset without luck.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

• 2 months later...

On rare occasions my philodendrons will produce a deformed leaf.

Why exactly does this happen? What does it need?

IMG_9771.thumb.jpg.ee49ff8049c2493102c77

IMG_9773.thumb.jpg.a7c71448fe47c8a371f9a

The variety hope is supposed to be extra cold hardy and comes back in zone 7. The regular ones act as a perennial in zone 8a but will never form a trunk. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.