• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis prestoniana variations?

JubaeaMan138

Ok so I bought a bunch of these dypsis prestonianas from a well respected local grower . I was looking at these and they look a lot different then my other prestonianas inknow dypsis go through crazy changes as they grow . He did tell me he was excited about these because they are a variety that is much hardier . Anyways my question is which variety would these be ? My other 2 are a lot bigger but they have very wide curly leaves . 

IMG_3128.PNG

I actually did read that previous post earlier maybe I'm confused because of the size of these . I can't seem to find any pictures of prestonianas in small one gallons that look anything like these 

Does it have a heel? Saxophone root on the side?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I have two prestononianas a tad bit bigger than yours with curly leaves. Those had no ill effects from our cold, wet winters, low 30s and frost (with overhead canopy.) My oldest one was from Searl bros in SW Ranches,  and my other is from Floribunda. They're both terribly slow, but I did notice today  they're both pushing new fronds. Not too bad for Fresno. I've never seen a non-curly prestononiana.

No heel but i've had stuff develops a heal later on these  were originally big liners that I put into 1 gallons I guess time will tell

The Prestonias I’ve had at that size  have much shorter leaves and wider leaflets, plus a heel. 

4 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

IMG_3129.JPG

The first pic had me suspicious, this one tells me. "Me thinks that is not a prestoniana".

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

That onion- like bulge at the base reminds me of pulilifera seedlings. 

These came from Kevin weaver. They were originally in liners when I got them a few weeks ago. Im going to give him a call today . It's possible I grabbed the wrong thing. I don't remember there even being tags when I got them home . But these were the hole reason I went to see him i've been watching these things grow and waiting for them to be big enough to sell . 

I think i have the same "prestoniana".

I bought it two years ago from the most respected spanish grower as small 3 leaves seedling. It was planted in the ground and it is growing slowly.

It didn't have heel and of course it looks fully diferent than other prestoniana.

I don't know what could be this.

This is how it looks today, two years after.

IMG_20180311_134555.thumb.jpg.4b59c50d7b

Edited by Monòver

I have a bunch of bejofos that looks pretty much the same except are a paler color than these that are more green

Mystery Dypsis are usually a good thing..

• Upvote 3

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ok so I just heard back from Kevin sounds like i grabbed the wrong plants . He said they don't look like his prestonianas and they look like kentiopsis which was my next guess thanks everyone 

No olivoformis . I bought a few different things everytime I go seems like I mess something up or leave and forgot to look for something  I must have just been confused I do remember now the reason I grabbed kentiopsis is because  the wife wanted a couple but I do remember seeing the prestonianas now i've got a few to

many kentiopsis gonna go back for the prestos this week