• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia Yarey Tips

chad2468emr

Hey all, 

I snagged a copernicia yarey in a 1 gallon pot from the Searle Brothers sale last weekend. I know absolutely nothing about them, short of googling what they look like as adults and making sure they'd survive in zone 10b right before I decided to buy. There is very little information about this palm. 

How do they grow in containers? I plan on keeping it in a pot since I'm only leasing my current home, and although the land lord gave me free reign over the garden, I don't want to have to leave this one behind when I move. Are their roots sensitive? How fast do they tend to grow? Any other tips I should be aware of? 

I'm also confused about info I keep finding. This is labeled as Copernicia Yarey, but I'm assuming its not a Blue Yarey palm because they just look different to me. Is that correct? When I search for images, I also find some with a massive base and huge fronds that are blue, some that aren't blue, and then some that have thin, tall trunks, and average sized fronds. Whats going on? haha

Thanks, 

Chad

palm1.jpg

Edited by chad2468emr
  • Upvote 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

Hi Chad,

It looks like you actually got one of the hybrids because I see a couple of suckers coming off the base. So this will make a clumping palm, but treat it as if it was true C. yarey. I would certainly pot it up into a 7gallon. That should be good for another 2-3 years. grow it in full sun.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Awesome! Thanks so much for this advice and thanks for the palm! Your sale was amazing and it was awesome seeing all those rare palms even though I was no where near affording them since I just moved and that was... expensive to say the least. haha

What was it hybridized with? 

Edited by chad2468emr

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

Welcome to the forum chad, I doubt you will find a better price on those as they take a few years to grow to even that size.  A 3-4 footer might take 10+ years to grow.  Its not necessarily about rarity, its also about the expense of care for a few years.  You were fortunate to be able to attend that sale, I sure would have liked to attend and pick up some great palms.  If you follow Jeffs Searle's advice you are in good hands.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank