• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Havn't the foggiest, ID please

GDLWyverex

Just became the costodian of this beaty and would very much like to know what it is to better care for it.

Cactus.jpg.994e6e42563027e1edd1e8202be9bCactusClose.jpg.69b75d3d83e26625f2f9cb44

Thanks

Richard

Looks kinda like an ocotillo. Ive never been able to germinate them and never seen a baby before....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Looks kinda like an ocotillo. Ive never been able to germinate them and never seen a baby before....

Right on I think

Looks just like Fouqieria Splendens, which looks like it will grow quite large

Thanks

Richard

My guess: a leafless Alluaudia procera. Give it plenty of room to grow. Most members of this family from Madagascar grow at 5-10 times as fast as most of the ocotillos.

Hi 79°, Lo 52°

Edited by Tom in Tucson
  • Upvote 2

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

3 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

My guess: a leafless Alluaudia procera. Give it plenty of room to grow. Most members of this family from Madagascar grow at 5-10 times as fast as most of the ocotillos.

Hi 79°, Lo 52°

Your right, Madagascar ocotillo is a better fit than my initial interpretation of TexasColdHardy's ID

Thanks

Richard

Agree with Alluaudia.. Fouquieria sp. have a distinctly different look, even at an early age. 

As far as germination of Fouquieria, they're actually pretty easy, imo.. Its keeping them going, post-germination that can be tricky.. 

Last spring, id harvested a batch of seed off a couple boxed F. macdougalii  specimens at work. Germination commenced after roughly 10 days in bagged 4" pots, in a pure mineral soil : decomp. Granite, Turface, Sand.. NO organics). Unfortunately, this coincided with me ending up extremely sick and on the couch for almost 3 weeks at the same time we went into our first stretch of 112F+ days of the summer.( trying to avoid a trip to the hospital isn't a great way to spend your birthday..)  While the seedlings held up ( placed under benches, in my shade house) As soon as I could get back outside for any length of time without ill effect, I started noticing the first signs of Damping off.  

Taking them out of their bags only made things worse and I ended up loosing all 3 batches.. same with a list of other stuff id started / seedlings transplanted into 1gal pots at the same time. A real eye opener to how difficult it can be to transition seedlings from an ideal environment into what summer is here ( 115f /3-12% humidity, give or take average, until /if Monsoon season starts) 

When I start more, it will be after I have constructed all my transition panels for the shade house after the move this summer.. I'm sure this, and less intense summer heat will make a difference. Here, a fully enclosed greenhouse + 110F heat, daily = roasted collection.