• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Acanthophoenix rubra 1g plants

Matt in SD

I have about 10 x 1g Acanthopheonix rubra that I grew from seed off of Dennis Willoughby's tree.  These are good sized plants ready to bump up to larger pots (or plant).  $30

Matt

IMG_20180415_180115465_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 3

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Interested in:

a). a palm

b). a tour again

c). how your place in Hawaii is doing

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Great to see you yesterday Bill.  

I'm sort of shocked that there is not more interest in these.  This is one of the more beautiful, rare, and interesting species that can be grown well in our area, and they have not been widely available.  Floribunda has had them lately, and I'll never knock Floribunda...Jeff is the saint of palm therapy, but it's just a fact that there is some effort in obtaining and acclimating palms from Hawaii.  My plants have been in my coldframe with the door open for 90% of the year, so they will transition to outdoor shade with no setback at all and outdoor part sun with relative ease.  

For local pickup I'll lower the price to $25 each.  If I can't sell them locally, I'll consider shipping.

Matt

• Upvote 2

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

Hi Matt, I sent a PM 

" To plant a seed and watch it grow is that which brings most joy my soul "

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018‎ ‎1‎:‎46‎:‎31‎, BS Man about Palms said:

Interested in:

a). a palm

b). a tour again

c). how your place in Hawaii is doing

Git-R-Done :D

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Go to Matts.

Get a fantastic deal on a rubra.

Get an awesome tour and see his massive Dypsis sp. malcomberi

32381145_1737935052938793_89119494214202

See his Tahina ..likely one of the biggest grown in California.. even @Jeff Searle would be impressed.

32548856_1737935049605460_22645271761728

Go!

• Upvote 4

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dude, seriously, these things are as well grown as they get.  And they're known for being finicky when they're young and Matt's plants are just solid like my ex-girlfriends's wooden leg.  Do it.

• Upvote 3

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

58 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Dude, seriously, these things are as well grown as they get.  And they're known for being finicky when they're young and Matt's plants are just solid like my ex-girlfriends's wooden leg.  Do it.

:floor:

Got any left Matt? Would like one if you do. If it’s smaller than Bills I’ll just go to his house and switch it. 

• Upvote 1

San Marcos CA

13 hours ago, Shon said:

Got any left Matt? Would like one if you do. If it’s smaller than Bills I’ll just go to his house and switch it. 

Bill probably would not notice for weeks. As long as they had the same container, level of soil in the container and sharpie marks on the spears. Perhaps a few random weeds too.

Then he would figure it had shrunk. And then a new thread would be born. :bemused:

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Hi Shon,

Yes I have some left.  

Matt

San Diego

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I still have several. 

Matt

San Diego

• 3 weeks later...

I still have several of these.  Very healthy, and good sized for 1g plants.  Ready to pot up or plant in the ground.

Matt

San Diego

• 3 weeks later...

Still have a bunch of these...can't believe it.  Maybe people are spooked by the spines?  They are really ready to move up to a larger pot or be planted now.  

Matt

San Diego

Ill take 2. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 1 month later...

I still have several of these available.  

San Diego

I bought a couple of these from Matt. I can tell you that they are grown perfectly and the pots were totally rooted. Great deal! Not to mention that Matt has an insane garden! 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Those are super cool palms! Don't think they would do well in my area and also my lady would freak out if she saw spines like that. She worries about the kids getting poked. I even have trouble planting cycads because of that. 

The machine in the first pic is called a "Muck Truck".  It's a motorized wheelbarrow that can haul up to 800 pounds, up hills and off road.  I bought it when we first bought the house and it is one of the best purchases I ever made.  Could not have done what I did in our garden without it.  

Brian and Steve, I'll send a PM about martii.

Matt

• Upvote 1

San Diego