• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Variegated Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) - SOLD

LJG

I have a large variegated clump of Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) that I am selling. It needs to be in someone’s garden that has more time than I do regularly cutting out the green pup growth that takes over. I have had this plant for 10 years from a single stem. It now has about 8 variegated ones but really needs to be cleaned up to bring back its full glory. 

$250 (Now sold)

95132623-351A-46BE-815E-DFE6B7DF173A.jpeg

52857F24-00CF-4997-A09C-B3283CB669C4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

That's beautiful has it ever bloomed for you? If I could find a pup like that I would surely buy it.

Mark

Edited by Mostapha

7 hours ago, neoflora said:

Nice plant!

From you way back when Ron. I paid $250 for one section. Can’t believe no one has taken this already.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

39 minutes ago, Mostapha said:

That's beautiful has it ever bloomed for you? If I could find a pup like that I would surely buy it.

Mark

Yes blooms every year. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

It’s huge. Won’t ship. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Great plant Len.....surprised this has not been snatched up yet.

3 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Great plant Len.....surprised this has not been snatched up yet.

I am too. Should have cleaned it up.   It then might have decided to keep :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thats a gorgeous plant.  I have a solid green one potted here, and it gets a little rough around the edges, but grooming would be constant.

I got curious if you have ever tried growing one of the green splits out, because I'm wondering if the varigation is a recessive gene, where the green may put out a varigated split. Would be interesting to see.

Thanks Mark

Hi!

Thanks for sharing this! I've been looking for a variegated strelitzia reginae from NYC, and am contemplating options. Would you have any suggestions? E.g. might the cluster survive a drive back cross country?

-Amanda

Gorgeous plant. I have one that started out green, but has spontaneously started growing variegated leaves. 

Amanda - Go for it! These are bulletproof - At this price, the expense of getting it home could very well be included and you'd still get a good deal. Just saying. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jackaldrone said:

Hi!

Thanks for sharing this! I've been looking for a variegated strelitzia reginae from NYC, and am contemplating options. Would you have any suggestions? E.g. might the cluster survive a drive back cross country?

-Amanda

It would have no issue. They are very hardy plants. The issue is it would fit into a 25 gallon pot. Once home you could cut out all the green growing plants and I bet you could get it into a 15. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

2 hours ago, santoury said:

Gorgeous plant. I have one that started out green, but has spontaneously started growing variegated leaves. 

Amanda - Go for it! These are bulletproof - At this price, the expense of getting it home could very well be included and you'd still get a good deal. 

@santoury, thanks that pretty much answers my questioning the idea of a recessive gene, with the green actually producing variegated foliage. If Amanda does in fact buy it and decided to piece it, I would gladly purchase and pay shipping on a split from her. I'm in upstate N.Y., just west of Albany.

But either way it is a beautiful plant and I wish her the best with it.

Thank You Mark

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LJG said:

It would have no issue. They are very hardy plants. The issue is it would fit into a 25 gallon pot. Once home you could cut out all the green growing plants and I bet you could get it into a 15. 

Great info, thank you. It's likely I would divide it, and it looks like the green divisions and the variegated divisions would all be good plants.

Thank you @santoury and @Mostapha also! @mostapha The split may come in handy if we find something that works.

All, I'll look further into possibilities, especially since now seems like a good window as it's still in the midst of summer here and the var. strelitzia reginae would have a decent chance to acclimate. Time is a bit tight with ~42 hour drive back, even if there's a flight in. There is a uship option that has come up in transporting plants searches, and I may try to connect with a local grower in CA with large plant transport experience to weigh options, as well as a local plant house here.

@LJG might you be able to share an estimate of the size details in addition to the 25 gallon info? E.g. height, width, guess at the weight? Even to drive back, it'll help to plan accordingly. Also, don't let me hold you up if there's another offer. I'm going to really vet the possibilities though I'm aware a cross country 25 gallon transport is not trivial.

4 hours ago, Mostapha said:

@santoury, thanks that pretty much answers my questioning the idea of a recessive gene, with the green actually producing variegated foliage. If Amanda does in fact buy it and decided to piece it, I would gladly purchase and pay shipping on a split from her. I'm in upstate N.Y., just west of Albany.

But either way it is a beautiful plant and I wish her the best with it.

Thank You Mark

Mark, so the way it works with this particularualr plant is that the only way the variegation is passed on is when a variegated division divides and creates a new division. This is a slow process. Some years it doesn’t happen. When it divides this way, they are always variegated. The issue is the variegated divisions grow much slower than the green. Green ones sprout from new new growth.  Those green parts of the plant then divide - and rapidly. If you are not constantly cutting out the green, they quickly take over. For many years I did this and the plant was gorgeous. But now I have too many plants and responsibilities in the garden to want to continue the keeping up with maintenance. Someone with more dedication will love how pretty this plant is when the only leaves showing are variegated.  

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

11 hours ago, jackaldrone said:

Great info, thank you. It's likely I would divide it, and it looks like the green divisions and the variegated divisions would all be good plants.

Thank you @santoury and @Mostapha also! @mostapha The split may come in handy if we find something that works.

All, I'll look further into possibilities, especially since now seems like a good window as it's still in the midst of summer here and the var. strelitzia reginae would have a decent chance to acclimate. Time is a bit tight with ~42 hour drive back, even if there's a flight in. There is a uship option that has come up in transporting plants searches, and I may try to connect with a local grower in CA with large plant transport experience to weigh options, as well as a local plant house here.

@LJG might you be able to share an estimate of the size details in addition to the 25 gallon info? E.g. height, width, guess at the weight? Even to drive back, it'll help to plan accordingly. Also, don't let me hold you up if there's another offer. I'm going to really vet the possibilities though I'm aware a cross country 25 gallon transport is not trivial.

I can get measurements for you. No clue on weight. :(

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

On 8/2/2018, 12:01:14, LJG said:

I can get measurements for you. No clue on weight. :(

Thanks Len! Unfortunately, just checked schedules with the driving option, and we don't see an opening to make the trip until spring. :( 

• 1 year later...