• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Raphia australis, How much cool weather can it handle?

Tyrone

I've seen pictures of Raphia australis growing in South Africa. I'm just wondering if it grows anywhere near Capetown. If so it might have a chance for me. I've got plenty of water with swampy ground which it should love if I'm not too cold. Anyone know how cool to cold this species can handle it?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

These handle frost pretty well as long as most all the days are pretty warm and still lots of heat during the winter.  Some have managed to grow these to nearly trunking in So cal.... but never seem to actually get to trunking

Raphia australis Palomar college DG.jpg

• Upvote 1

After posting I did a bit of web browsing and found some trunking ones in a botanic garden in Capetown South Africa. When I looked at the location of the botanic garden it was on a peninsula on the western edge of town, so I'm expecting mild winters due to the ocean surrounding it. Capetown weather averages look pretty close to mine but if they really do need winter warmth then they might struggle at my location. I've got the water here though.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I kept one alive with no problems in the shade house but it declined when planted out in heavy clay.  I suspect with better soil and a special microclimate it could be grown here.  For a similar look, Attalea dubia grows well. Never had the chance to try others.

• Upvote 2

Gonna give it a try. I've ordered 10 seed from RPS. Got some swampy ground where two tributaries intersect near where I've got some Archontophoenix growing well. It's north facing but protected from cold westerlies and southerlies.

• Upvote 1

This is the general area that I'd like to try some Raphia. I think there is enough soil moisture.

IMG_2367.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looking very green down there Tyrone,  it's certainly been a wet winter here in the west. Waroona Dam started overflowing earlier in the week, the first time in about 20 years (I think).

• Upvote 1

You might try R. sudanica. Young specimens here fared well last winter. We had 1 night down to 28F and windy. The R. sudanica specimens had no damage. But a larger R. ruwenzorica was defoliated and has been slow to regrow.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

Looking very green down there Tyrone,  it's certainly been a wet winter here in the west. Waroona Dam started overflowing earlier in the week, the first time in about 20 years (I think).

It's always green down here. I never water the lawn. Not been wet in the Great Southern of WA. We are way behind but it doesn't matter where I am. The lake and dams are all overflowing and the tanks are all full.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

I’ve had one germinate. 😀

AF16C1E4-BDE2-49D8-846A-B0305CFEBC42.jpeg

• Like 4

Did that take almost 5 years to germinate or is these a more recent seed batch?

Regards Neil

5 years.

• Like 2

For the first 3 years I had these seed in my germination tin shed in a plastic storage box on a high shelf to get the highest heat through summer and got no germination. After 3 years I pulled the seed out to see how they were and they still sunk in water and looked good except for2 that had rotted the eye out. I took the box out of the shed and put it on the ground on the north side of my concrete water tank in full sun, wondering whether a day night fluctuation would help. During the warm weather I kept the medium moist but let it dry out in winter. Still nothing. Last September (22) I checked in the box and no germination, so I wet the medium down and forgot about them. In November I looked in the box and it had dried out and found one shrivelled up dead seedling. I was gutted. So I decided to check it more often and kept it moist. I went away for most of Mar 23 and came back to find this one, around 4.5 years after I got the seed.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Got two to come up. One got too big for its humidicrib so into pots they have gone. 

IMG_2287.jpeg

IMG_2291.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 8/17/2018 at 8:32 PM, Tyrone said:

This is the general area that I'd like to try some Raphia. I think there is enough soil moisture.

IMG_2367.JPG

Plant Johannesteijsmannia there 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, happypalms said:

Plant Johannesteijsmannia there 

I wish they would grow here, BUT, if I make that 90m2 6 metre high hothouse complete with retractable roof and spa that I’ve dreamed about then yes yes yes.