• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Satakentias "on the road"

palmfriend

Hello everyone,

I have mentioned once that Satakentias are NEVER sold at our home depot or nurseries for the 

reason that they are difficult to get sprouted - that is what I was told - while keeping in mind that 

our island is probably the closest to their habitat islands (Iriomote ils. and Ishigaki ils.) further south,

I found this one a couple of days ago while waiting outside to pick up my son from a kid`s birthday party...

001.thumb.jpg.737b22ee0788496f70242a6331

I am often taking this road when going out with our kids, always enjoying these beautiful Satakentias - I even collected seeds here from time

to time but with none of them ever germinating - ...

002.thumb.jpg.21f07b77946c58641e0b46fdef

...and while usually looking UP at the beautiful crowns, I looked DOWN this time and then I had to rub my eyes...

005.thumb.jpg.ec06165cbc7b74d98ecee8a395

Wow! 

006.thumb.jpg.6ecbbe966a88d91adc6086439f

Young Satakentias growing here "on the road"...

007.thumb.jpg.9f166ab5762b4d801d88756520

...and looking pretty good.

Glancing at the next palm...

009.thumb.jpg.e39b3035636b8cbdc1f1d03116

Unbelievable!

010.thumb.jpg.5c5b5b16d391d262fc6bcb41e7

I thought this dry and hot place would be the last to look for when searching for young Satakentia sprouts...

011.thumb.jpg.af25b0730a4a983c361fe0a04a

Even here, a cut off one - with seedlings close by...

012.thumb.jpg.80429053fae565a8b39f1fd766

Amazing, I think! I just thought I have to show it here on pt, I was really really surprised!

I really hope they let them grow, I will keep an eye on them -

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

• Upvote 11

Don't you carry a shovel in your trunk for emergencies? LOL.

• Upvote 3

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

23 hours ago, NatureGirl said:

Don't you carry a shovel in your trunk for emergencies? LOL.

Haha,

pulling plants out on that road (as a foreigner) would provide maximum attention B), no thanks ;) .

By the way, 

I got lucky with this beauty in our Botanical garden...

013.thumb.jpg.20a8d8b993806be78cb11b5ffa

pulled some seeds out of the ground and got...

014.thumb.jpg.7f11df35a65573b38ccf9e591a

016.thumb.jpg.8759e3fffafcff0528305c3a00

...these two babies out of it. :D (And some more still potted.)

But thanks for the advice anyway ;) 

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 4

Nice palmlets! Congratulations on the successful germinations.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 8/25/2018, 2:05:54, Kim said:

Nice palmlets! Congratulations on the successful germinations.

Kim,

Thank you very much! Locals told me it is all about the right timing when collecting ripe seeds - I had no clue that 

it is so difficult to get them sprouted, since we have hundred (or thousands) of them in this island. However, I am going

to keep a close eye on them because they are real beauties.

Best regards

Lars

Lars,

Yes, Satakentias are great looking palms and one of my (many) favorites! I have found the dark crownshaft coloration to be somewhat individual - some of them have much more color than others. And always fun to see self-germination below mature palms - no matter what the species, but certainly for more unusual ones, or in this case, supposedly hard-to-germinate ones! :)

Bo-Göran

• Upvote 2

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Satakentias on Iriomote this April.  Planted ones not far from a wild population.  

Satake palms, Iriomote (1 of 1).jpg

• Upvote 3

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Taketomi Island, adjacent to Iriomote, where they aren't native and the soil conditions might be somewhat challenging.  Growing nicely.

Satakentias on Taketomi island-1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

12 hours ago, bgl said:

Lars,

Yes, Satakentias are great looking palms and one of my (many) favorites! I have found the dark crownshaft coloration to be somewhat individual - some of them have much more color than others. And always fun to see self-germination below mature palms - no matter what the species, but certainly for more unusual ones, or in this case, supposedly hard-to-germinate ones! :)

Bo-Göran

They are not hard to germinate. The only problem is the seeds have to be extremely fresh:

5b85527e8c7f7_4687N08-0513.thumb.jpg.58c

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

@palmfriend, very nice!

I wish those grew well here in California. Oh well . . . .

This calls for a video (Hold your nose and sing like Willie Nelson!):

On the road again

I just can't wait to get on the road again

The life I love is going palming with my friends

I can't wait to get on the road again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mckg0

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.