• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in zone 8b surviving despite neglect

Jubaea_James760

These palms were planted about 4 years ago. Some a little longer. There located at my sisters house still in Hesperia about 7 miles or so south of my home. It's 350 ft higher. Not much but I have to say I noticed a significant difference in weather from our properties. She gets colder & its always windy it seems at her house. Were both zone 8b but it seems to always be 3-5 degrees F cooler throughout the day & 5-7+ degrees F cooler durning nights. Any who, I just wanted to give a quick ran down. These palms don't get much water & zero fertilizer since I moved 3 years ago. Lowest tempts they seen unprotected since I've been gone is 17f I believe. I have to say am very proud of the ones still hanging around.  I lost several the first year I was gone :( 

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Trithrinax campestris. Has 4 or 5 trunks now.

20180905_103742.jpg

• Upvote 4

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Sabal pumos. 

20180905_103725.jpg

• Upvote 3

20180905_103656.jpg

• Upvote 3

Sabal Uresana 

20180905_110703-1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Nannorrhops arabica silver. Looking pretty sad...

20180905_103915-1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Jubaea Chileansis. looking pretty good I have to say :D

20180905_103854-1.jpg

• Upvote 4

If they are not thriving, it is not because of weed competition.

That does look like a harsh environment.

All doing pretty well I think, considering..

• Upvote 4

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Filiferas. I know all of these are bullet proof but am just really surprised at the neglect & drought tolerance of them.

20180905_103538-1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Med. 

20180905_103625-1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Last but not least my baby pindo! Plus check out the nice yucca brevifolia (probably misspelled ) in the back

20180905_113249-1.jpg

• Upvote 3

So come next spring I want to dig out a few & transplant them to my house. I know it can be risky on some but I figured they'll eventually die a slow painful death... or get ripped out of the ground sonner or later since my sister doesn't really fancy them. Here's the ones am gonna try, any experience or advice with digging & transplanting these particular palms?  Id  love to hear it thanks!

Jubaea

Both Sabals 

Trithrinax

& the nannorrhops 

The chilean and campestris will dig the easiest. The mazari that small will almost certainly die as will those sabals.

• Upvote 1

I would accually  be happy if I can get those 2 :D

I have replacements of sabal pumos & Uresana with we but only 5 gallon palms. No replacement of mazari :/ but I'm sure I can find one.

Here's a pic of the mazari 3-4 years ago. 

It was a fast grower for me.

2014-05-27 19.49.41.jpg

• Upvote 2

Here a pic with my boxed blue med. Pots in the back are 5gal size for scale of the mazari. Also you can see the color a bit better in this pic.

2014-04-01 13.19.23.jpg

• Upvote 2

When I saw those photos I couldn't help thinking, "Get some mulch around those palms stat." I gather your sister won't bother but I hope you mulch the ones you plant.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

@PalmatierMeg they'll definitely get cared for at my house :greenthumb: there was mulch on all at one point but wind must of blown it away lol!

2015-01-25 16.13.06.jpg

• Upvote 1

@Neil C thank you! It was a pretty fast grower so I can't wait to get it into my yard. Hopefully once it settles it'll pick up where it left off when I was there.

So I  was thinking some might think , wow, your only 7 miles away & you couldn't just go once or twice a week, once a month even to care for them...? Because that would of been my first thought. :P I started truck driving about 4 years ago so when I moved out I kinda just loss track of time & when I would go visit  ( once every 2-3 months maybe ) I'd do a bit of water then. Now am on a good schedule. Am only gone 5 days off 2 & in that time am gone my wife & daughter help me water! :D watering doesn't take very long but as I'm adding more especially next spring I'll definitely need a drip system. There so busy as it is. 

16 hours ago, James760 said:

20180905_103656.jpg

James - you really should put some clothes on when you go outside to take pictures of your palms :floor:

Edited by Josh76
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Lmao!! :D:D:floor:

Look, we all get excited around palms:drool:... some just more than others :floor:

• Upvote 1