• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Variable Reactions: Palms and SO2 Exposure

Kim

The title sounds a bit like a scientific experiment, but be assured, there were NO controls in this "experiment."

In March of 2018 when I spent time in my garden in Leilani Estates, all was well. The garden was looking decent even though I couldn't do a lot after dealing with a medical issue with my back. It rained a lot. It was green, it was beautiful, I planted palms, I had plans for more tweaks in the garden after being inspired during a visit to Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden.

Blink. Blink. April; news of hundreds of earthquakes shaking the Lower East Rift Zone -- also known as Leilani Estates, Kapoho, and a few more small subdivisions, plus acres of working agricultural lands -- and it becomes clear that Kilauea Volcano is in the throes of dramatic changes. Cracks in the earth appear; they grow wider, emitting copious amounts of steam. The afternoon of May 3, the residents of Leilani witness the beginning of the eruption. Stones flung high into the air, a roar of gas escaping the earth, and the shocking red lava is fountaining high in the air and flowing down the lines of steepest descent. Evacuation sirens blare, the police are going door to door. A nearly straight line of fissures open along the rift, one after another, and soon homes are being devoured by the lava pouring forth. Leilani Avenue is cut off. Our eyes and brains strain to process the events as they unfold. One fissure dominates the spectacle, pouring out an incomprehensible quantity of lava that forms a river of destruction like nothing seen on this island. The air, unbreathable; the sky, never dark. The roar, intimidating. The aerial photographs, stupendous!

All the while this spectacle is unfolding, the flora of Leilani is coping as best it can. For those plants downwind of the fissure, a hail of tephra and Pele's hair joins the gases to snuff out plant life. The plant life lucky enough to be upwind of the fissure, protected by the sheltering trade winds, suffers intermittently when the trades slack off. The eruption continues for more than 100 days, until finally the volcano sighs and... the flora are granted a "pause."

The assemblage of photos of one such lucky garden demonstrate the power of the earth's plumbing system to invade from the air. Most damage appears to be cosmetic and surmountable. Most palms will recover nicely. Many never noticed anything was happening. Some will struggle to survive. Some became crispy shells of their former glory.

Photos show pre-eruption and post-eruption comparisons.

Lemurophoenix halleuxii

IMG_5815.thumb.jpg.8d10e7b153a736bc9cd69

IMG_6913.thumb.jpg.75ee81702fc4e505655ae

Licuala peltata var sumawongii

IMG_5368.thumb.jpg.ce02b66ba6904777b55f0

IMG_6946.thumb.jpg.98d61ed4964711539f5ea

Clinostigma samoense lawn with A. vestiaria

IMG_5453.thumb.jpg.8100ec957f53cbfc242f8

IMG_6957.thumb.jpg.fb6fe94a65e26f07d07da

• Upvote 4

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Dypsis pachyramea

IMG_5497.thumb.jpg.9f4e7b7e6e69e8e6ebe94

IMG_6990.thumb.jpg.0aed88d9672558294252b

Chitwan the elephant got an acid bath and turned white again

IMG_5531.thumb.jpg.f25f2d709838f6d7c2bd1

IMG_7006.thumb.jpg.9bdbc11991f58f296877d

Rheinhardtia latisecta, right of frame with ti plant; post apocalyptic shell

IMG_5527.thumb.jpg.28df601c9d690c81d7ae7

IMG_7007.thumb.jpg.bfd6b9188343b4a99d701

• Upvote 5

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim, Amid the chaos and destruction you writing is quite poetic, you might have a book inside you. 

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I am so sorry for all the losses.  All the earthquakes have been crazy. I am all the way up in mountain view  and I still feel them. I am hoping and praying for things to go back to normal soon.. 

• Upvote 1

Kim, thanks for that personal descriptive account, so well written and thoughtful. 

You skillfully captured the event in so few words, not easy to do.

The photos also emphasize how variable the reactions to deadly gasses different plants exhibit.

Mahalo Kim!

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

2 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

I am so sorry for all the losses.  All the earthquakes have been crazy. I am all the way up in mountain view  and I still feel them. I am hoping and praying for things to go back to normal soon.. 

Others have losses to be sorry for -- me, not so much. After wandering through my garden, the losses are really very few. It's more astonishing how well some palms managed, or even thrived in the acid bath. Many large Dypsis show no signs of distress, unless producing seed is a sign of distress (?).

Losses were primarily seedlings and very slender-trunked palms such as Dypsis mirabilis, Dypsis procera, and Hydriastele pinangoides. Even so, other slim-trunked species survived without too much stress, such as Dypsis rosea. One more solid Dypsis that doesn't look so hot right now, Dypsis coursii. The leaves are green, but the center of the crown looks finito. More photos to tell the sad part of the story...

Dypsis coursii

IMG_6953.thumb.jpg.f2cf23fe27a7ab94a4d34 

IMG_6954.thumb.jpg.299e8567572a24d00bac8

Dypsis mirabilis -- some will probably survive, others are toast

IMG_7047.thumb.jpg.118fe8707e2f1473dc5f8

In the first photo, you see seedlings of Burretiokentia grandiflora on the left and Cyphosperma naboutinense on the right (Cyphophoenix balansae behind them). For whatever reason, the Burretiokentia grandiflora didn't make it, but the Cyphosperma naboutinense will survive (I think).

IMG_5806.thumb.jpg.1ef363e29c1c167649dbd

IMG_7029.thumb.jpg.4b648d2fb1e88df5a90c4

IMG_7028.thumb.jpg.544f53a2a3c7c426ff1db

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

A few more damaged, but rallying:

Beccariophoenix fenestralis

IMG_7027.thumb.jpg.3fde99efd5fe9dc040a56

Dypsis 'dark mealybug'

IMG_6955.thumb.jpg.b942b4896adfbc686bdbe

Dypsis sp. (looks like sainteluciei, but isn't), one pushing a green spear, two suffering rigor mortis

IMG_6948.thumb.jpg.e534b34a90a144e53929e

Much of the mess is just neglect during the eruption period. Hauling away downed fronds and trimming the brown ones will make for instant improvement.

IMG_6887.thumb.jpg.d1cc981b1879fa390a923

IMG_6980.thumb.jpg.88a19cea5125daf0fa7a0

Same for cleaning up fallen trees, in this case a neighbor's avocado...

IMG_6886.thumb.jpg.1be46c619fcaa76f35e09

Perhaps the more difficult of the losses, Dictyocarium lamarckianum. 4 dead, 2 with a hint of emerging green.

IMG_7038.thumb.jpg.02361b905aa9692b55bf2

IMG_7039.thumb.jpg.2f86d5dff9bfb4e0e5a64

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Your photos and description of the changes are amazing. Sorry to see the plant damage but it is interesting to see the differences in the way the species reacted. Glad you and your property are ok.

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Kim, I am sorry for your lost palms,but thankful for so many that will bounce back soon. There is a price to pay for living in paradise.I have learned that lesson recently as well.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this Kim. It is fascinating to see the various reactions of different plants and palms, and what is already trying to recover. I'm glad you still have access to your property. I know it is heart breaking after you put your heart and soul into your garden. Nature pushes on and I look forward to seeing future updates on your garden's progress. I know I've learned a lot here in FL about cold tolerance and hurricane recovery. We will all learn from seeing the changes your garden goes through. Those palms can take a lot more than any of us thinks, for sure. I agree with the person who said you've got a book in the making here. Your writing really captured the essence of the situation with grace.

Aloha, JungleGina

Zone 9b, Sunny Sarasota, Florida

• 6 months later...

Sorry to see all the damage that was done to your garden  but it is nice to see that a lot of your palms survived.  I always look forward to you posting new photos of your garden there hoping someday mine would be just as nice.  Right now I’m planning my trip back to the island will be there soon I have not been back there since right before the eruption started.

Wow, how did I miss this thread last year? I bet most of the palms have made a full recovery by now, especially considering how fast things grow in Hawaii!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!