• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Alcantarea Imperialis

doubravsky

Lots of great pics and info... I of course got down on my knees and thoroughly inspected the plant for pups.... none yet as you mentioned John...

Thanks for the info... I though about how close it is to the wall after I saw some of the other pictures.. I'll move it a bit. And you're right... I'm gonna need some more!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Some fantastic photos of a very handsome plant.

My experience is somewhat limited with them but I will say that, based on a fairly large number of imports of seedlings and younger plants made by me and my partners over the past several years, coupled with playing with them in my gardens, dark color is dictated by 1. genetics and 2. environment. The offsets of the "best" red alcantareas develop pretty intense color very early on. Tropiflora has recently released an excellent commercial form ('Red Brazil') that is quite intensely-colored even at 30 cm span. A really red one should, IMO, show red on both leaf surfaces even when young. While Bo-Goran's plants are said to be hybrids by the breeder, to me they look like they're just very well-grown offspring or offsets from highly-colored A. imperialis. Most of the other "red" alcantareas would seem to generate narrower leaves or much more acuminate leaf tips.

As many have noted here, full sun at upper elevations in the wet tropics appears to make for the most vividly-colored plants, but a stable green one will, even under these conditions, stay green with some purplish tones here & there on the underleaf surfaces. The glaucous/powdery cast to the green upper leaf surfaces of some plants in the pics is typical of shade-grown alcantareas.

Ciao,

J

This is my A. imperialis in San Clemente in full bloom. A spectacular plant. Bo's plants were propagated in Hilo by David Fell he calls them "Merlot" This cultivar from what I was told is a cross between Alacantera imperialis and Alacantera vinicolor

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

Alacantera.jpg

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

I think I have A. vinicolor in my yard.  I have 2 Alcanteras and they are slightly different.  I know Tropiflora has them for sale.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I grow rubra, vinicolor & purple & swoon over for David Fell's hybrid! I must find that plant! If anyone has one and wants to trade grass pups, ping me  :D

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

• 9 months later...

Time to bump this thread! When we moved into our house in Feb 1997 I planted a bunch of Cycas revoluta in front of the house. Should have picked something more unusual, but didn't have too many choices at the time. Anyway, the dreaded Cycas scale, that seems to affect C. revolutas all over the place, arrived at our place last year. Last week it was finally time to rip out the cycads. Fortunately, I had found what I think will be a good replacement: Alcantarea sp. Volcano mist. Visited Hawaiian Sunshine Nursery last Friday, and filled up the truck:

post-22-1206487231_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

After I got home I lined them up!

post-22-1206487293_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And this morning it was time to plant them. Here's a full view. 7 on this side of the front lanai and 3 on the far side.

post-22-1206487350_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

And a close up of the seven. Now, all I have to do is keep after the coqui frogs that no doubt will relocate to these new perfect homes!

post-22-1206487450_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bo,

Are you trying to kill me by jealousy? Give me Dave's swoon couch *passes out*

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Move over, Bren, I'm swooning too!  That's what I like about your garden, Bo, you never do anything half-way.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

These are very impressive bromeliads.I wish they were available here.They would be great to try at my new place at 2,800 ft. elevation.

Scott

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

The photos of the red ones in Bo's yard don't do them justice. When you see them in person, your eyes pop out of your head and your jaw drops.  My eyes and jaw were quite tired after a few hours scouting around in his garden.  :P  :P

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Bo's gone bonkers.  My two (in pots) spent last summer providing a gentler microclimate for the two young Satakentia palms I'd planted at the edge of a concrete patio.  I just moved one into a monster pot, while the other's probably going into the ground.  From my limited experience, it looks like they grow nicely for us with little care.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Are the seven on left arranged in the shape of the Big Dipper? I am impressed with the stone sculpture behind. Were the pieces held together by rebar or concrete bonding agent? They remind me of the inukshuks in Vancouver, Canada and the Buddist temple towers, which BTW always have even number of levels.

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

Daxin,

I was simply attempting to place the bromeliads in as much of a random fashion as possible, while still maintaining some level of symmetry. Definitely did not have the Big Dipper in mind!

And the rocks are all simply placed on top of each other. There is nothing holding them together except gravity and proper placement. I have actually created quite a few of these rock sculptures in our garden. I'll start a new thread in Ohana Nui, since it's not really appropriate in this section.

Bo-Göran

• 4 months later...

Based on advice from Michael AussieAroids, I have recently cut my 3 A. imperialis out of the tiny [ 4" across pots] they were growing in in the ground.

The plants are about 4 years old. The one in the foreground is var. rubra, but it has not colored up nearly as well as Bo gorans. ...... yet .... heres hoping.

Alongside them are the 4 pups I have cut off these plants.

Anyway, I am more than satisfied with these growing at 37 degrees south latitude.

alcan.jpg

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Looking good, Chris. Four-inch pots sound really small for these monsters, definitely time for an upgrade.

This time of year my one plant looks its best. I wouldn't mind having another dozen like Bo's garden.

DSC_0286.jpg

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Here are two young potted plants showing the pups at the base.

post-90-1219781668_thumb.jpg

post-90-1219781681_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Wow Kim, beautiful specimen. The cordyline and alpinia in the background are looking nice as well. It's too bad Bo locks his front gates up at night.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Two big plants of Alcantrea imperialis. The first one (left) flowered and has since died. The second one (right)

measures 6ft. (1.8m) tall and about 5ft. (1.5m) wide. Third pic is more of a top view of the second pic.

post-90-1219784203_thumb.jpg

post-90-1219784233_thumb.jpg

post-90-1219784250_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Nice photos Al, spectacular plants. Are they relatively fast growing? How old is the one in the photo?

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Time to bump this thread! When we moved into our house in Feb 1997 I planted a bunch of Cycas revoluta in front of the house. Should have picked something more unusual, but didn't have too many choices at the time. Anyway, the dreaded Cycas scale, that seems to affect C. revolutas all over the place, arrived at our place last year. Last week it was finally time to rip out the cycads. Fortunately, I had found what I think will be a good replacement: Alcantarea sp. Volcano mist. Visited Hawaiian Sunshine Nursery last Friday, and filled up the truck:

Bo, to get a 10" pot of the 'Volcano Mist' from Hawaiian Sunshine Nursery from one of their dealers in Los Angeles would cost me $175 each...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Looking good, Chris. Four-inch pots sound really small for these monsters, definitely time for an upgrade.

This time of year my one plant looks its best. I wouldn't mind having another dozen like Bo's garden.

Kim,

I noticed you have some really good well colored broms. The A. blanchetiana also looks really good. Seems like you know the exact position to get the best color out of these plants. I also have A blanchetiana but it does not get enough sun to color like that. I think its time to move it !

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Full sun Chris ,, your rubra will colour up better ,, it will never look like Bo's hybrid ,,,

The Ae. blanchetiana should thrive on Vic full sun as well . I have just been planting out a few ,, put 2 little Alc. vinicolor next to the imperialis ,, and still deciding where to put the regina and glaziouna .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Thanks Tim and Chris. Yes, I agree with Michael, full sun -- but I'm 1/2 mile from the ocean and get a lot of night and early morning low clouds, and it rarely bakes here, nice weather for lots of bromeliads to bask in the sun outdoors. Michael, what's glaziouna? got a pic?

Al -- nice plants! How old was the plant when it bloomed? I wonder why the tips on mine are recurved and yours are straight? Different hybrid? Mine is tissue cultured from Rancho Soledad Nursery.

Kim Cyr

Thanks Tim and Chris. Yes, I agree with Michael, full sun -- but I'm 1/2 mile from the ocean and get a lot of night and early morning low clouds, and it rarely bakes here, nice weather for lots of bromeliads to bask in the sun outdoors. Michael, what's glaziouna? got a pic?

Al -- nice plants! How old was the plant when it bloomed? I wonder why the tips on mine are re-curved and yours are straight? Different hybrid? Mine is tissue cultured from Rancho Soledad Nursery.

Kim, the plant that flowered and died I had purchased from David Shigi as a reasonably good size plant so I don't know how old it was at that time. However, I had it growing in the garden for about 10 or 11 years after that.

I have one med. size plant in a container now that has leaf tips that are somewhat re-curved like yours. Just why that is I really don't know. Variability in the species possibly? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Al in Kona

Nice sunsets!

KIm . :unsure: I left an a out of the name ... It was called regina alba for ages here ... and with the popularity of Alcantareas ,, a bit more research has been done ... but its so hard to tell some apart .. So Alc. glaziouana has lovely fine tips , very thick coat of white under the leaves ..

post-354-1219810053_thumb.jpg

post-354-1219810157_thumb.jpg

Those are a lot of beautiful bromeliads. I have a few but only one is somewhat red. One of the great features of Rio de Janeiro is that these bromeliads grow all over the rocky mountains around Rio included Sugar Loaf Mountain. It is a great sight to see hundreds of them blooming hanging onto a graniite rock wall looking out over the southern Atlantic coast.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi folks, found this here ole thread featuring Alacantareas. I have become enamoured by these plants of late so here I am posting.

I have acquired a few Alcantarea imperialis "silver plum" and "ruby" and some others . Has anyone else got thrilled by collecting these magnificent broms of substantial size ? What are the biggest broms you have ? Any pics ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

@ big Alc. Whyanbeel , prob' close to 2m across , some little vinicolors in foreground .

post-354-097633800 1337257792_thumb.jpg

Raymond Golden Brown nearly finishing flowering , its taken approx 6 months for this process .. no sign of any pups yet , but have been told some will come as seeds mature . Few other cvs scattered around .

Purple Skotak to the left , it should colour up more as winter sets in .

post-354-011956200 1337257896_thumb.jpg

Purple Skotak has extra wide leaves .

post-354-065657800 1337258096_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Michael, why does it colour up more with onset of winter ? Is that a case of less sun more colour ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Cold burn maybe :rolleyes: they just do Wal

I think it has something to do with humidity... it happens here too...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Michael, why does it colour up more with onset of winter ? Is that a case of less sun more colour ?

Wal, this process happens in other genera, Neoregelias especially.....and the onset of more colour empirically has to do with lower nighttime temps, and is likely not an issue of humidity or "burn".....

My guess is that the plants slow their growth upon the onset of lower temps, and as a result reduce the amount of chlorophyll and thus their green pigment, allowing other pigments such as anthocyanins to become brighter by default.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

These are all really magnificent!

Thanks to all who shared!

(now I gotta get me some...)

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Wal, this process happens in other genera, Neoregelias especially.....and the onset of more colour empirically has to do with lower nighttime temps, and is likely not an issue of humidity or "burn".....

My guess is that the plants slow their growth upon the onset of lower temps, and as a result reduce the amount of chlorophyll and thus their green pigment, allowing other pigments such as anthocyanins to become brighter by default.

Rusty

Thanks Rusty.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 10 years later...