• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Racinaea crispa and Racinaea pendulispica

metalfan

I am hoping that someone can guide me here. I just purchased these 2 cloud forest plants. I plan to make an indoor vivarium for them because I know they won;t hang in my greenhouse (too hot...I had a Racine crispa several years ago and the heat killed it).

This is what I have gleaned from net research but am looking for firsthand experience.

--not a water holding bromeliad (crispa, but how about pendulispica?)

--must have good air circulation

--must have PURE water no salts no metals

--temp 60-80

--high light

--mount on a stick with air flow on all sides no glue no silicone very little moss

--high humidity a must

HELP. I don't want to kill these.

• Upvote 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Thanks for making this post! These two are on my wishlist so I look forward to hearing what people have to say. Maybe make your viv large enough to grow a Geonoma epetiolata in as well!! :yay:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

They had them on the Tropiflora VIPP last time and I couldn't resist. When I got my first crispa years ago, there wasn't a lot of info on the net about its culture. I didn;t realize it wasn;t heat tolerant and couldn;t tolerate a lot of impurities in the water. Now there is more data, people who grow it in vivd with dart frogs and stuff. I hope I can make it go this time. I also tried, about the same time, to grow some Dracula and Masdevallia orchids. I researched and picked the ones that were the MOST heat tolerant (said they could endure up to a max of about 88F) but it was still too hot for them here in my greenhouse in summer. If I have luck with these broms, I want to try some of the either stuff that won't make it in the greenhouse

• Upvote 1

This is my poor lost little first crispa from many moons ago. I was doing everything right except the water and heat thing

ei.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, metalfan said:

This is my poor lost little first crispa from many moons ago. I was doing everything right except the water and heat thing

ei.jpeg

OH!!! It's SOOO CUTE!!! :wub: You can do it again! You CAN do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: