• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help with Palm Tree Identification and Sale

Ruperts

Hello everyone.  I bought a house a couple of years ago with plans to eventually build a new house on the existing lot.  That means tearing down the current house along with any palm trees that are within the building plans.  The original owner of the house  was a cuban gentleman that brought all his palm seeds from Cuba when he came to the US.  On the property I have a number of palms, most I have seen around the neighborhood and are plentiful. Others I haven't seen to many of.  There are two in particular that I haven't seen much of.  The first is what I think is an Old Man Palm.  Ive seen a few of these but not one of this height.  The other I really don't know what it is but is pretty cool.  

My problem is, that both these palms will need to be either transplanted or just torn down because of the house plans.  I've grown to like them but I'm afraid if I put them in a large pot for the year or so that it takes to build the house, they would both die.  A friend of mine told me that the Old Man Palm could be worth a lot of money since it's huge and still growing (there's new beard on top).  I'd rather sell them to someone who knows about palms and that would transplant it to a nice area if possible.  

Any ideas on what I should do? Is it worth it to sell them? Any help would be much appreciated.  Pictures attached.  I can also take more if needed to identify. 

IMG_4956.JPG

Edited by Ruperts
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ruperts said:

Hello everyone.  I bought a house a couple of years ago with plans to eventually build a new house on the existing lot.  That means tearing down the current house along with any palm trees that are within the building plans.  The original owner of the house  was a cuban gentleman that brought all his palm seeds from Cuba when he came to the US.  On the property I have a number of palms, most I have seen around the neighborhood and are plentiful. Others I haven't seen to many of.  There are two in particular that I haven't seen much of.  The first is what I think is an Old Man Palm.  Ive seen a few of these but not one of this height.  The other I really don't know what it is but is pretty cool.  

My problem is, that both these palms will need to be either transplanted or just torn down because of the house plans.  I've grown to like them but I'm afraid if I put them in a large pot for the year or so that it takes to build the house, they would both die.  A friend of mine told me that the Old Man Palm could be worth a lot of money since it's huge and still growing (there's new beard on top).  I'd rather sell them to someone who knows about palms and that would transplant it to a nice area if possible.  

Any ideas on what I should do? Is it worth it to sell them? Any help would be much appreciated.  Pictures attached.  I can also take more if needed to identify. 

IMG_4956.JPG

Try to get ahold of Ken Johnson he might want that Cocothrinax crinita

Second palm looks like a Pindo, no real big value if that's what it is but I'm not positive.  The crinta is spectacular.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

The second one is a Butia/Pindo, though the size and fronds look a little different than the standard ones I have at my house.  It's a little more "open" on the crown and with some twist to them.  If it's a standard Butia Odorata/Capitata then local retailers sell those for about $500 at that size.  It could be a Butia Yatay or Eriospatha too, I don't know how to tell the difference from a photo.

No creation of man surpasses that crinita. I would design my house around it, not vice versa.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That crinita is epic. I’m going to cry if that gets torn down. Might as well tear down the statue of liberty while you’re at it. 

• Like 1

That C. crinita has a nice story and by the look of it, it's been very happy there for a long time. Hard to find a C. crinita these days that that is both that old and originated as wild collected seed. It would be a shame to lose it. I would second what Meg had suggested and design the house and yard around it, even as just a open square in a patio or walkway, or as a space between house and garage, etc. Making the new house a similar size to the old one means more room for palms and plants. ^_^

Ryan

• Like 4

South Florida

I agree with the ID's on these two palms. I have a friend that could be interested in buying the Old Man if interested. Send me a PM if interested.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The second palm (Butia odorata) is pretty tolerant of transplanting.  I'm sure it would fetch more further north in colder areas where there are fewer palm options.  It's a nice specimen also - how 'bout some love for it as well and not just the Coccothrinax!  :) 

Jon Sunder

Move that house! Move that house! No really, though, that Coccothrinax is ancient. It would be a shame to lose it. The Butia is nice, but it's no Coccothrinax

That crinita is so incredible...I would be doing everything I could to work around it and save it if I were you.

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright