• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Seramis mix for pseudophoenix sargentii

Eric the red

G'day Eric, You might actually have overdone the fast drainage requirement for potted palms. I have done that. With that mix you may need to water twice a day and add nutrients.

If the famous recipe is adapted, it is the famous recipe no more. His balance is what made it famous.

Actually a lot of recipes work fine, variations have different advantages and disadvantages, yours is very extreme and will require a lot of close attention.

I suggest that you read through more of those potting mix threads again, and let us know what you decide.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

6 hours ago, Eric the red said:

image.png.76203158c48528b25c29d20d2df1c70a.png

Welcome to the forum!  I have Pseudophoenix sargentii growing in small pots using 50/50 potting soil/perlite mix.  That seems to be a good ratio here as all of the seedlings are deep green and healthy. 

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

image.png.185fcb0421b0f4be703c80960a416f57.pngThank you for your answers. I agree with you gtsteve, it drains very (too ?) quickly and I have to water everyday. I'll try something less extreme next time ! Sometimes I have to test, learn and to improve my way of doing things. My pseudo is till growing (very slowly), that's the most important.