• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cordyline leaves

Jcalvin

I bought this cordyline about 3 years ago from Home Depot in Jacksonville, Fl.

I planted this one in a pot. It stays outside, and It’s seen no damage from weather up to this point. 

I noticed about two weeks ago that the pot wasn’t draining, so I drilled some holes in the bottom.  The pot was holding about a half gallon of water in it. 

Shortly after I noticed the bottom half of the leaves started dying. I trimmed them off, and sprayed some anti fungal spray on the trunk.   I still notice more leaves dying off. 

Any advice to help it out? I live in southeast Georgia, so it rains about every day or every other day.  And, we are expecting Hurricane Dorian to bear down on us in the next few days. I’ll most likely bring it in or put it in the storage shed to keep the soil from getting wet. Should I let the soil completely dry out? Are the roots rotted? 

One more thing: is this a red star or red sensation? It wasn’t labeled when I bought it. It looks like the red sensations I have planted in the yard. 

The first picture is another Cordyline planted roughly about the same time in the yard. It’s a red sensation. 

CC51D53B-C30F-4D2C-AF7D-3D69200EEA2A.jpeg

7E7174DD-D008-4520-9C98-720725AF86C9.jpeg

It should be fine now that you found the problem and have fixed the poor drainage.  Yes, some lower leaves will die but overall the plant will survive. BTW Cordyline Australis actually like to dry out a little between watering. 

• Upvote 1

Should be alright now that the excess water is able to drain away but, if concerned, you can mix some Peroxide with water and apply. The Peroxide will help stop any possible root rot, and add Oxygen to the soil to encourage faster replacement of any damaged roots / new root growth.  Agree with Roger, these like a dry rest between watering. 

• Upvote 1