• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen palm trunk damage

Fresnotropics

When I moved in and started cleaning the fronds off the trunks of my palms I discovered a massive amount of damage to my queen palm’s trunk as pictured. The palm is otherwise very healthy, it fruits and sends up healthy green fronds consistently. I still, obviously, have concern that one day it will come crashing down. There is probably only 1/3rd of the trunk left and the damage is roughly a foot and a half tall. 

How concerned should I be? Any stabilizing remedies I could implement? Thanks for reading! 

AE443BF4-EA80-40AD-AD09-513DE70FF522.jpeg

That looks like rot probably from a sprinkler hitting the trunk. Honestly I would just replace it. Queens are very common so it would be cheap to replace. 

• Like 1

it’s facing a pool and no sprinklers were ever in front of it to my knowledge. It’s quite large so replacing it would require some serious chopping and hauling. As far as the structural integrity goes, is this something especially worrisome?

I live in Fresno, ca and we typically don’t have extreme wind. 

57 minutes ago, Fresnotropics said:

It’s quite large so replacing it would require some serious chopping and hauling.

The longer you wait....................................

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Palm trunks are often stronger than you would think.If it can't fall on your house,I wouldn't be too concerned.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

20161103_085407.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year