• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pygmy Date Palm Cold Damage

PlantDad

My pygmy date was in an unheated greenhouse in Salem Oregon zone 8b. The owner of the greenhouse said that they had never had there greenhouse freeze in the past so I decided to overwinter my pygmy date in there this year. Well one night dropped to 19 degrees. It was the coldest I have ever seen it in this area in the 8ish years I've been here. Outside got to 19 but I'm not sure how cold the greenhouse got. All of the leaves on my pygmy date turned brown but the spear didn't pull so I think I can save it. Is there any suggestions on what I can do to help it recover? Also it has been struggling from an iron deficiency forever now and I don't know how to fix it. I'm now using a fertilizer with iron but I don't know how long it takes. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Thank you. I attached some pics of my palm along with the nutrients of my fertilizer.

tmp-cam-6713427247348350960.jpg

tmp-cam-6676351985261272595.jpg

tmp-cam-2068957945015274492.jpg

Don't fertilize.  keep dry as possible and if rot forms pour generous hydrogen perozide down the spear every week for 2-3 weeks.

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Agree. Then invest in a backup palm.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thank you so much for the help. I will keep it dry and I will not fertilize. I will also look for a backup. I have been applying hydrogen peroxide