• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Newly planted Hong Kong orchid not doing well

RedRabbit

I planted a 3 gallon Hong Kong orchid about 2 weeks ago in full sun and it seems to be slowly losing its leaves. I suspect they’re getting burned by the sun. It’s about 5’ overall in height; are they not able to take full sun at this age or might it be something else like transplant shock? I’ve been giving it a lot of water but it continues to deteriorate. :(

Edited by RedRabbit

I know it has been in the 90s in much of Florida lately. If I were you I would cease watering it for a couple days, and only water it again when the top 2" of soil dries out. Cover it with some shade cloth until new leaves appear. Hopefully when normal temperatures resume you can remove the cloth. My Bauhinia trees often defoliate after transplanting. Good luck.

Hi 70˚, Lo 51˚ - showers

• Like 2

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

6 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I planted a 3 gallon Hong Kong orchid about 2 weeks ago in full sun and it seems to be slowly losing its leaves. I suspect they’re getting burned by the sun. It’s about 5’ overall in height; are they not able to take full sun at this age or might it be something else like transplant shock? I’ve been giving it a lot of water but it continues to deteriorate. :(

I grew them in full sun in Carlsbad, CA so not as intense a sun as you would have in Orlando.  Mine were similar in size when I planted them but I don't remember what time of year I planted them as the first was about 30 years ago and the second was about 24 years ago.  It is worth pointing out that Bauhinia x blakeana will lose most of its leaves in spring.  This seems a little early as mine typically would wait until May here in this climate to start losing leaves and then would come back in late June or early July.  I never grew any of the other Bauhinia's so can only speak to this one.  Once established they can be tough.  I have one that I cut down a couple of years back because it was too close too close to a patio covering and required daily sweeping of the patio when in bloom.  Not very renter friendly since we moved out.  It has since sprouted a new stem out of the trunk which was ground.  So once you get it established it should grow well.  I learned to prune them heavily annually when young.  I had a neighbor who never pruned his and it got top heavy.  It had all it's leaves and was in bloom when a winter storm blew it over.  It had not established enough roots for the weight when wet with all the wind.  They grow back quickly and will fill out after about 8 weeks if you prune after it loses its leaves in late spring.  Wish you success in getting yours established.

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Where was it before you planted it in full sun?  Shade?  If so, it is getting rid of its weak shade grown leaves and hopefully sprouting new leaves better adapted to sun.

If it is hot and the soil drains well, keep watering it.  Scratch the tips and if is green right under the skin, no worries.  If the branches are dry and not green when scratched, it might be in a little distress.  They are tough though if you give them some encouragement.  They need some judicious pruning to create a decent structure and if they have a bad root system can blow over.  Make sure you don't have any circling or girdling roots that will cause problems later.

Share some photos with us.

• Like 3

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Thanks a lot for your help everyone! :greenthumb:

I'll see if I can post a pic soon. It was in full sun at the nursery so I figured it would be ok here, but maybe not. In any event, hopefully some new leaves start coming out soon because there's not too many left now. 

• 1 month later...

For the record, it lost all of its leaves but bounced back with considerable vigor and looks great now. I think this tree might be a really winner for this area. :)

1 minute ago, RedRabbit said:

For the record, it lost all of its leaves but bounced back with considerable vigor and looks great now. I think this tree might be a really winner for this area. :)

:ttiwwp::lol:   :)

• Like 2