• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Happy Aloha Friday - Post Your Aloha Friday Pic

Kim

Purchased as D. “Jurassic Park” this big Dypsis has now been identified as just another D. prestoniana. It looks different from my older prestoniana, but I’m told they are variable. Looking bright in the afternoon sun and heavy with seed. 
A0F8A25B-5264-4EA6-A6F7-A7834972C545.thumb.jpeg.d937b2e1f609d2e0f90d5d29578e540e.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Here are my overly tall Kentiopsis oliviformis, there is a sickly teddy bear in the threesome that just will not respond to anything

IMG_6332 (2).jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Mini aloha

20200424_102502.jpg

• Like 6

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

How about a California style Aloha?  Washies in my neighbors yards with the tops of some of my palms in the foreground/bottom (left to right) Dypsis onilahensis hybrid, Dypsis letptocheilos, Dypsis prestoniana.  I don't normally like those Washingtonias as I'm now starting to have to pluck the seedlings which will carpet my back yard from the winter's seed drop.  This morning I could here some hooded orioles and 2 pairs were fight over staking their territory to nest in them.  Unfortunately my banana plants got beat up in the late winter and just aren't dense enough with foliage for them to decide to nest in them this spring.  Perhaps a late pair will still nest in my banana plants if they can fill out enough as temps really push them into a growth spurt now.

CA Aloha Kim!

20200424-104A6369.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, redant said:

Here are my overly tall Kentiopsis oliviformis, there is a sickly teddy bear in the threesome that just will not respond to anything

IMG_6332 (2).jpg

SO SICK! Those are old... you've been at this a while, clearly! Do you get viable seeds off of those? If so, I will buy them all!

Edited by SWFLchris
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, SWFLchris said:

SO SICK! Those are old... you've been at this a while, clearly! Do you get viable seeds off of those? If so, I will buy them all!

Actually they are not that old, maybe 7 or 8 years. They have flowered several times and dropped a couple of seeds but hardly any. I did pot the seeds up but I never keep track of what's in what community pot some I'm not sure if I have seedlings yet or not. If they do a big seed drop I'll let you know.  

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

My WTH, overplanted palm berm today. At least 10 species are visible in this image!

PalmBerm2020.png

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2020 at 9:50 AM, Kim said:

Purchased as D. “Jurassic Park” this big Dypsis has now been identified as just another D. prestoniana. It looks different from my older prestoniana, but I’m told they are variable. Looking bright in the afternoon sun and heavy with seed. 
A0F8A25B-5264-4EA6-A6F7-A7834972C545.thumb.jpeg.d937b2e1f609d2e0f90d5d29578e540e.jpeg

I have a young plant I put in the garden which was acquired as Dypsis "Jurassic Park".  It has been in the ground about 4 years from a 1 gallon and just creeping along at this stage of it's life.  I did notice there was a little pinkish mixed with yellow color on the new opening leaflets, which is something I haven't seen on either of my larger trunking Dypsis prestoniana.  Anyone else seen this with D prestoniana or things acquired as the "Jurassic Park" type?

20200609-104A6817.jpg

20200609-104A6816.jpg

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Aloha. I know it's not Friday but im in town and it's easy for me to upload pics so here ya go

20200609_062756.jpg

20200531_064347.jpg

20200527_171440.jpg

20200519_174550.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1