• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Skinny tall palms in multiples?

mistyinca

I’m looking for the name and a source for the skinny (~3” diameter) palms that I’ve often seen grown in multiples, often against buildings. I wish I had a pic. I snapped a pic of some in Maui last year but I can’t find it.  Does anyone know? Thank you. 

If your seeing them around California as well most likely its Phoenix Robellini. Another possibility candidate is Chamaerhops Humilis. 

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

2 hours ago, mistyinca said:

I’m looking for the name and a source for the skinny (~3” diameter) palms that I’ve often seen grown in multiples, often against buildings. I wish I had a pic. I snapped a pic of some in Maui last year but I can’t find it.  Does anyone know? Thank you. 

Is it Dypsis lutescens? Or Ptychosperma macarthuri? Both of these are commonly grown in Hawaii against buildings

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I think it might be the first one. Though it’s hard to tell when juvenile. I’ll look up the second one you mentioned and see if that looks like it...

It is not Phoenix robellini. 100%. We have had that many times and those are way thick compared to these. Completely different from what I’m looking for. 

• Upvote 1

The ones I’m thinking of are very cane like. And by tall I mean like 12’ (mature of course). I found a pic of them!!! Look to the right of the pic. This is outside a restaurant in Maui. I remember seeing them while waiting in line. 

6EC2DE5A-8A20-41C1-9831-4996939DD520.png

Edited by mistyinca

what color is the trunk on the ones you're trying to describe are they yellow and white if so that's probably dypsis lutescens

Chamaedorea plumosa.  Perfect size you're looking for.  Google it.  I have a double outside in a pot and a lone one in the ground from seed.  Fast growing too!  Trunks are one to two inches thick and cane like.  I'd take a picture of mine but it's right next to a planted Macarthur palm so hard to see it well.  I think it xan be exactly what you're looking for.

Can handle quite a bit of sun too.  I'm in southwest Florida. 

The picture you have there may be MacArthur palm if it clustered. 

• Upvote 1

I think they are probably a (common) Ptchosperma sp esp as it is used in a commercial setting. I couldn't enlarge the photo any further but I notice one large leaf that has praemorse leaflets.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=praemorse&qpvt=praemorse&FORM=IGRE

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It is Psychosperma and most likely elegans.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Ptychosperma MacArthur I is planted a lot in landscape here in Hawaii if I had to guess from the pic it would be it 

Agree, probably Ptychosperma macarthurii. Would be a difficult grow in Riverside.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

@mistyinca welcome!

Where in Riverside are you? That might matter as to what you want in palms.

Also, what’s the situation? Is it a really narrow strip or wider like three or more feet?

If you like that cluster bamboo palm look there’s different options.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So I found a clustered dypsis lutescans at Lowe’s. This I my project today... gonna try and separate out some singles and small clusters. 

2845AB8E-AC6A-42C5-B10C-82457FE901C0.jpeg

• Upvote 1

This was a more successful mission than I’d anticipated! Any suggestion on how to minimize shock for replanting? Or just go for it and sink them in the soil?

D6AF2866-9075-42C4-AD9E-C4EDCC97ADD5.jpeg

292EAB1E-7A26-4967-B5C1-F5D005C42301.jpeg

• Upvote 1

yes basicly and use some small stakes to keep them from falling over in the begging. you will probably have some die so plant more than anticipated and let nature find the fittest one. 

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Upvote 1

:blink:

Well.....

Since it’s too late to advise you to not do this, I would say plant them up and water well.

The problem with splitting up palms that have been grown clustered in pots is that it is difficult at best to replant them without introducing air pockets in the soil. Not to mention the root damage. Some palms do not tolerate procedures like this.

Thanks for the replies. Yes; I anticipate losing a few in the process. Fingers crossed!

are you paying allmost 80 dollars for that bundle?? here i pay 7.5 usd for one approximently the same size and 15 for a 2.5 meter tall more spread out bundle. 

Edited by Palmfarmer

13 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

are you paying allmost 80 dollars for that bundle?? here i pay 7.5 usd for one approximently the same size and 15 for a 2.5 meter tall more spread out bundle. 

Different country,different economy,different climate,different costs to deliver to that point on the globe. Same palm could be found much cheaper,in Florida,in the USA.Only problem is it's 3000 miles away.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Yes $79. And also the reason I’m taking the chance of it dying to separate it...I don’t have the luxury of choosing to buy singles since they aren’t available near me. So I’m improvising best I can. 

Planted in place! What kind of irrigation do these need? Southern California, zone 9. 

thanks!

4A655C71-DF9A-4A2E-BF66-95C7D8174B80.jpeg

• Upvote 2

I like it! check the soil they like being slightly moist most of the time i say they require moderate amount of water. i went with 3x per week then scaled down to watering them twice per week after 2 weeks, but mine are a lot bigger and i dont know what soil you have. experiment some. 

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

I like it! check the soil they like being slightly moist most of the time i say they require moderate amount of water. i went with 3x per week then scaled down to watering them twice per week after 2 weeks, but mine are a lot bigger and i dont know what soil you have. experiment some. 

Ok I have two sprinkler lines in this bed...one will be drip for some hibiscus going in. The other is a dedicated tree line and can be a spray or bubbler. Do you think being on drip with the hibiscus will be enough water? 

On 5/16/2020 at 10:22 AM, mistyinca said:

Ok I have two sprinkler lines in this bed...one will be drip for some hibiscus going in. The other is a dedicated tree line and can be a spray or bubbler. Do you think being on drip with the hibiscus will be enough water? 

they are not very thirsty and they are pretty small at this time so you can try.