• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis prestoniana leaves - a weighty subject

Tracy

As one of my Dypsis prestonianas gets taller it has difficulty supporting the weight of the oldest leaves.  The first place this became apparent was toward the bottom of the retained leaf sheath of the oldest frond.  As the leaf aged, I would notice a buckling of sorts on the "back side" of the crownshaft from where it opens.  This would never be present when the crownshaft first becomes visible when the prior sheath came off, only developing over time.

20200712-BH3I0516.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

The oldest leaf was getting a little support though, as it is perpendicular to my side wall, so when they grow in this direction they can actually reach over the wall.  In this case, it didn't happen until the leaf dropped low enough to actually rest on the wall.  So it's still green and up off the ground!  But I'm also seeing a little buckling where the petiole and leaf sheath meet on this frond. 

Unfortunately, the next frond is pointing in a direction lacking an elevated support and showing the same buckling at petiole and leaf sheath juncture.  Perhaps to weighty to support itself any longer.  Gravity taking over in this case until it hits the ground  Unfortunately after taking these photos the next day this frond continued to drop down on my Encephalartos princeps.  I was left with little choice other than removing the second oldest frond, while leaving up the oldest resting on the fence.

So, I have seen this happen frequently with my Dypsis lanceolata's with one being more prone than the other to this.  My smaller Dypisis prestoniana doesn't seem to experience the petiole base drop, only the buckle at the bottom of the crownshaft as the frond ages.  Is this typical of your larger Dypsis species?  Please share.

20200712-BH3I0510.jpg

20200712-BH3I0508.jpg

20200712-BH3I0507.jpg

20200712-BH3I0514.jpg

• Like 1

I have seen this happen after a drought and then a bunch of rain. Sometimes  it just happens. I wonder if there is any other reason 

That frond is definitely spent.  It's starting to yellow.  Also notice that the palm is flowering.  A lot of energy is spent by this palm right now.  Looks like it is just discarding the old frond as fast as possible since it is no longer producing energy for the palm.  I don't know what your temps have been like, but it's been on the warm side.  Maybe some extra irrigation would help?

J

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

2 hours ago, joe_OC said:

That frond is definitely spent.  It's starting to yellow.  Also notice that the palm is flowering.  A lot of energy is spent by this palm right now.  Looks like it is just discarding the old frond as fast as possible since it is no longer producing energy for the palm.  I don't know what your temps have been like, but it's been on the warm side.  Maybe some extra irrigation would help?

J

Good feedback Joe.  They have received an extra dose of water since I just hand fertilized with some PalmPlus time released granules over the weekend.  Interesting that my other Dypsis prestoniana variation doesn't seem to do this.  Marine layer has been coming in and out with only a couple of clear mornings, so while hot for here, only in the mid 80's for a high.  It is pulling a lot of energy now with two inflorescence pushed out.

Wow, @Tracy you have a real treasure house!

I've noted that many palms do what you describe, as they get bigger and ready to, or start to, flower. The plant just sorta busts loose, kinda like puberty, which I think it really is. The Chambeyroneas in particular seem to do that, especially my great big fat one.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have the exact same buckling at the petiole on my roystonia. The bottom few fronds are starting to drop low and are buckled where the petiole meets the crownshaft even though there is a few older fronds that would be next to drop before it’s there turn. Maybe it’s something that happens to the more heavier fronded species? 

• Like 1