• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Evolution of King Palm trunk?

BayAndroid

I'm wondering how my king palms will evolve, I am hoping they will develop nice smooth trunks eventually, but I don't see how this will develop from what I have now. How do king palm trunks develop from a skinny new tree, to a smooth stepped trunk? Maybe mine doesn't have the potential. Any example pictures would be great. 

Mine is below, it's rather rough and skinny, not sure what it's future holds. 

20200714_105310.jpg

20200714_110626.jpg

Edited by BayAndroid

Sun burned, plus a damaged trunk already at that small size? I'd yank it and start over.You will never be happy with this current palms potential.As cheap and common as these are - replace it.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona.

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I agree, these were in the pot too long,  better to start over with smaller plants.  This one is planted too high also, with newest roots above the mulch.  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Keep the faith. This one in the photo below was a sickly, potbound, underwatered specimen when I planted it and looked aweful. It was a bit smaller than yours at planting time and had just one trunk ring. Lots of water, occasional feeding, and patience. If it’s hot, water daily. The more the better. Roots should not be exposed. Pull back the mulch and add soil and then put mulch back. 

D475F080-FD96-4C11-AFDD-FCB53C406E2C.thumb.jpeg.d2d21264f768225314777a0eebc941c9.jpeg

665E24D9-8250-4953-B329-46B50529DD45.thumb.jpeg.1d010eb89dcf6026c6fc11b26acf0880.jpeg

582BF97D-63DB-4096-821C-F09A6A2DEB58.thumb.jpeg.68a7e187b0028743cb8a1609fc025b91.jpeg

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

That makes me hopeful, I didn't water it enough last year, it's first year. This year I've been watering more and I will give it some more time. The roots aren't exposed, but the plant sits low and so I have it sitting in a bit of a ditch. I could fill in some more dirt around the base of the plant and level it out a bit.

Thanks for the advice so far.