• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Price Range for this Copernicia Alba

xoRudy

Whats up!

One of the Nurseries in my area are selling these Copernicia Albas, which are pretty rare to find in Arizona.  The palms look healthy, looks like about 5-6 feet in trunk but the price is not given online.  Whats do you think is a good price range for a palm this size? Like I said before its a rare palm in Arizona and one that I do not have yet, but they might charge me some over price number like nurseries do.  List the max prices you'd do under my circumstances. Thank you!

Rudy Estrada

Maricopa, AZ

4436.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Easily a $500 palm! Probably more.I would go up to $1000 if I was in the market for 1 because you'll never find them at that size anywhere else in Arizona.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

44 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Easily a $500 palm! Probably more.I would go up to $1000 if I was in the market for 1 because you'll never find them at that size anywhere else in Arizona.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Thanks for the wisdom Scott @aztropic, I know copernicias do great in the desert. This palm would probably not skip a beat in the backyard. So what your saying is anything under 500 dollars is a steal?

For a Copernicia that size, here... Absolutely!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Lots of motivation to grow one.  I have a blue alba, its a nice palm and shows well.  But buying a big one you lose some of the best years(most beautiful) as you can see into the crown well till it gets 10' trunk.  Looking up at old leaves is not nearly as satisfying a view.  You can stand 30' away and still see great color, but closer I wish the palm was 5' shorter(its 15-18' overall).   Same is true for my 25'+ bizzy, the bottom leaves are in the process of shedding so not so attractive when up close but at 40-50' away its still gorgeous.  The blue form should also be better adapted to the scorching arizona sun, as the wax limits heating/dessication that occurs there in intense sunlight, high temps, low humidity. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

15 hours ago, xoRudy said:

Whats up!

One of the Nurseries in my area are selling these Copernicia Albas, which are pretty rare to find in Arizona.  The palms look healthy, looks like about 5-6 feet in trunk but the price is not given online.  Whats do you think is a good price range for a palm this size? Like I said before its a rare palm in Arizona and one that I do not have yet, but they might charge me some over price number like nurseries do.  List the max prices you'd do under my circumstances. Thank you!

Rudy Estrada

Maricopa, AZ

4436.jpeg

I am surprised any nursery is even selling them in AZ, I saw a total of 3, and two were at the same place.  Im seeing saw palmetto back there too which is just as rare in AZ.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Lots of motivation to grow one.  I have a blue alba, its a nice palm and shows well.  But buying a big one you lose some of the best years(most beautiful) as you can see into the crown well till it gets 10' trunk.  Looking up at old leaves is not nearly as satisfying a view.  You can stand 30' away and still see great color, but closer I wish the palm was 5' shorter(its 15-18' overall).   Same is true for my 25'+ bizzy, the bottom leaves are in the process of shedding so not so attractive when up close but at 40-50' away its still gorgeous.  The blue form should also be better adapted to the scorching arizona sun, as the wax limits heating/dessication that occurs there in intense sunlight, high temps, low humidity. 

Thanks for the insight, growing tropical palms in the desert is a challenge. Any advice is helpful. You mention you had a blue copernicia Alba? Does it look something like this?  @sonoranfans

0EDB6BB5-9F8C-4A62-BD2A-A9FFA48A17E2.jpeg

• Like 1

yes and mine is now setting seed fr a few years now.  I do have some volunteers under it.  Here is it 2 1/2 years ago, today add 2' trunk.  I wish it wouldnt get taller as its less accessible to view, but at least it is starting to self shed.

Calba2018.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

3 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

yes and mine is now setting seed fr a few years now.  I do have some volunteers under it.  Here is it 2 1/2 years ago, today add 2' trunk.  I wish it wouldnt get taller as its less accessible to view, but at least it is starting to self shed.

Tom, are the volunteer seedlings showing the blue color yet?  I assume the seedlings will eventually have the same color as mama.  She's gorgeous!

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

yes they do show some waxy color, not nearly as blue as the parent.  They have also been weed wacked by the yard crew, I will try to get a pic.

Tom Blank