• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Root hardy calliandra for zone 9a

Thurksh

I know I can't grow calliandras as trees or perennial shrub in my zone 9a. But what about to grow it as a root hardy perennial? Calliandra tweedii will work in this way? 

P.D.: long, hot and dry summers in my area, but i can water as necesary.

8 hours ago, Thurksh said:

I know I can't grow calliandras as trees or perennial shrub in my zone 9a. But what about to grow it as a root hardy perennial? Calliandra tweedii will work in this way? 

Welcome to the Forum and Palmtalk..

If you can obtain seed, Calliandra californica, Baja Fairyduster will tolerate 9A easily ..Hardy enough to survive 8B ..possibly 8A winters -most years- with minimal damage as well. There's a nice cross grown all over the place here called "Sierra Star" that is a cross between this sp. and another, even hardier Calliandra, C. eriophylla. Flowers like mad in the Spring, and when it is hot/ hot and humid. Flowers themselves are bigger and there are more of them.. and they can range from dark red- hot pinkish -red..

2 additional species to look for are Calliandra heaematocarpa and C. emarginata. While both are are generally listed to tolerate 9b by some authorities,  others have successfully grown both in 9a.  There may be other rarer species from South America that might survive 9a worth trying to find seed of as well.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here in interior NorCal  (9a-b) I grow both C. californica  and C. "Sierra Star" without any trouble in a south-western exposure. Very long flowering period. Both of them go semi-dormant in the winter, but otherwise haven't been frost damaged to any major degree. The local beekeeper should gift me some honey for all the honeybees that converge on these plants daily for nectar! ;)

FairyDuster.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I grow ‘Sierra star’ in z8b San Marcos, Tx.  It has been outstanding.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/13/2020 at 5:52 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Welcome to the Forum and Palmtalk..

If you can obtain seed, Calliandra californica, Baja Fairyduster will tolerate 9A easily ..Hardy enough to survive 8B ..possibly 8A winters -most years- with minimal damage as well. There's a nice cross grown all over the place here called "Sierra Star" that is a cross between this sp. and another, even hardier Calliandra, C. eriophylla. Flowers like mad in the Spring, and when it is hot/ hot and humid. Flowers themselves are bigger and there are more of them.. and they can range from dark red- hot pinkish -red..

2 additional species to look for are Calliandra heaematocarpa and C. emarginata. While both are are generally listed to tolerate 9b by some authorities,  others have successfully grown both in 9a.  There may be other rarer species from South America that might survive 9a worth trying to find seed of as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll try to find these seeds. I'm in love with Calliandra tweedii, but it's an impossible love.

Calliandra tweedii Benth.

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2020 at 5:06 AM, Matt N- Dallas said:

I grow ‘Sierra star’ in z8b San Marcos, Tx.  It has been outstanding.  

Does it produce viable seeds?

Just now, Thurksh said:

Does it produce viable seeds?

Yes, fast growers as seedlings as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thurksh said:

Thanks! I'll try to find these seeds. I'm in love with Calliandra tweedii, but it's an impossible love.

Calliandra tweedii Benth.

C. tweedii is one of my favorites also. Have had my eye on obtaining this species for several years. Not sure why, but is a bit of a challenge finding any for sale. Want to try crosses involving it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/13/2020 at 2:27 PM, Hillizard said:

Here in interior NorCal  (9a-b) I grow both C. californica  and C. "Sierra Star" without any trouble in a south-western exposure. Very long flowering period. Both of them go semi-dormant in the winter, but otherwise haven't been frost damaged to any major degree. The local beekeeper should gift me some honey for all the honeybees that converge on these plants daily for nectar! ;)

FairyDuster.png

I continue to be impressed with C. "Sierra Star" for its heat, sun and drought tolerance and long blooming season (spring-summer-fall). I took this picture a couple of days ago. It's a magnet for both insect pollinators and hummingbirds.

Calliandra_SierraStar.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/13/2020 at 9:02 AM, Thurksh said:

You should be OK with C. tweedii, they grow easily here in Cental Italy in zones I would call solid 9a. They can take -5°C without much damage. At the other side, I would say no chance with haematocephala, it doesn't like cold and also flowers in winter

Tomas

• Like 1