• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix Robellini disease or malnourishment?

JotaDe

Hi folks,

I have some potted Pygmy date palms, and 3 of them are showing these spots on the some of their leaves. I recently fed them with Palmgain and I think I’ve seen some progress. I’d like to rule out whether it’s a disease though. Any ideas?

Thanks for looking!

D61771AF-56BB-4A96-9E22-57B9CC4A0D80.jpeg

AE354869-7D13-41B5-B82C-219E4749A340.jpeg

366604A4-5144-427D-881D-6E356F78D4C6.jpeg

CD1682BB-1C1A-4274-87D0-57AE3AC2F536.jpeg

F8D6C478-C895-4309-AF72-840E5DCC4EA9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Does it look like this could be it?

That was my post.. never really got an answer on it. The pictures in the last link don't look like mine. Those spots just came out of no where and haven't grown or changed in  weeks.

Edited by PalmX

10 hours ago, PalmX said:

That was my post.. never really got an answer on it. The pictures in the last link don't look like mine. Those spots just came out of no where and haven't grown or changed in  weeks.

Could it be damage from abrasion? I had a palm look like that and I chalked it up to mechanical damage. I did not have it scientifically diagnosed however.

Hi Johnny Palmseed and all. 

to me it doesn’t look like pestalotiopsis or what you have, at least not yet. The lesions mine have seem to contain a good amount of yellowing around a smaller black spot. As opposed to the issue being mostly black. 

I’ll continue to monitor and see if there are changes. It seems the palm gain has at least stabilized the spread of whatever I have or actually improved it. 

0B27AFE9-746D-49DE-B3E4-D880558E1213.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

They continue to look better after the palm gain, makes me think it was a nutrient deficiency. 

one of them has these spore looking growths, these can’t be new trunks. Maybe it’s a male palm, any ideas?

B4D7FCD8-6220-4263-9A84-5210207F41F6.thumb.jpeg.d1e48d2dfa4f63051c5748118fdd089b.jpeg

Edited by JotaDe

11 minutes ago, JotaDe said:

They continue to look better after the palm gain, makes me think it was a nutrient deficiency. 

one of them has these spore looking growths, these can’t be new trunks. Maybe it’s a male palm, any ideas?

B4D7FCD8-6220-4263-9A84-5210207F41F6.thumb.jpeg.d1e48d2dfa4f63051c5748118fdd089b.jpeg

Im not an expert so i had to look this up. If it were me i would go ahead and repot with new soil. These will be hard to get rid of, but they are not a threat to your palm. Oh and yes, this is spore growth.

Palms - Adonidia merillii1 Bismarckia nobilis, 2 Butia odorataBxJ1 BxJxBxS1 BxSChamaerops humilis1 Chambeyronia macrocarpa1 Hyophorbe lagenicaulis1 Hyophorbe verschaffeltiiLivistona chinensis1 Livistona nitida, 1 Phoenix canariensis3 Phoenix roebeleniiRavenea rivularis1 Rhapis excelsa1 Sabal bermudanaSabal palmetto4 Syagrus romanzoffianaTrachycarpus fortunei4 Washingtonia robusta1 Wodyetia bifurcata
Total: 41