• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Newly Planted Sylvester Palm

AlexM

Hi,

I have a question since i am a new owner of 2 Sylvester Palms that were planted about 6 weeks ago in Miami Fl. I was told to water them 2 times a day for the first week and then 1 time per day after the 1st week. Im not sure if its normal for the bottom branches to look dry the way they do since its only been 6 weeks since planted. Is there anything i should be doing different?

Palm1.jpg

Palm2.jpg

• Like 1

That’s a lot of water for a Sylvestris, but the soil looks dry so maybe with your fast draining soil it’s okay. There is something wrong though. Sylvestris usually transplants pretty well. Did you plant it or did you have it done?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

That’s a lot of water for a Sylvestris, but the soil looks dry so maybe with your fast draining soil it’s okay. There is something wrong though. Sylvestris usually transplants pretty well. Did you plant it or did you have it done?

I had it planted.

I just realized I’m looking at two different palms. Not a before and after. If they seem stable and don’t continue browning then o wouldn’t worry about it. A little transplant shock is normal. They’ll grow new leaves and this time next year they’ll look flawless. If it continues to turn brown then there maybe a problem. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

I just realized I’m looking at two different palms. Not a before and after. If they seem stable and don’t continue browning then o wouldn’t worry about it. A little transplant shock is normal. They’ll grow new leaves and this time next year they’ll look flawless. If it continues to turn brown then there maybe a problem. 

Thank you! That makes me feel better. I was just getting worried and thought maybe i was doing something wrong.

@AlexM and a warm welcome to the forums as well!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

59 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Thank you! That makes me feel better. I was just getting worried and thought maybe i was doing something wrong.

No problem. Good luck and keep us updated. 

I don’t know anything about sylvestris but in Phoenix when they transplant Dactylifera’s they always tie up all the fronds and leave them tied until the string breaks 

8 hours ago, 96720 said:

I don’t know anything about sylvestris but in Phoenix when they transplant Dactylifera’s they always tie up all the fronds and leave them tied until the string breaks 

They were tied up when planted and we were advised to leave them tied up for 1 week.

Don't get carried away with the water, a couple weeks of extra is fine but then they should do fine with normal watering's.  Past that they look fine other then a bit of shock

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A