• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tip of palm leave brown with rust like stains

JANAIY

My outdoor palm (not potted) getting brown rust like stains on the tips, what is happening here? Anybody knows? Picture attached

D6E4CB14-0D28-4043-B33C-15B171AB18E5.thumb.jpeg.478df5a667d54e2c83ad73c650dd5696.jpeg

some kind of mold (graphiloa leaf spot) is my guess.  If its mold spot you should cut it off now.  I had a hybrid, jubuitiagrus, that wer susceptible to graphiola leaf spot.  I gave up on the palm and yanked it, as half the(generally lower ones) leaves were getting hit every year no matter what I did..

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

some kind of mold (graphiloa leaf spot) is my guess.  If its mold spot you should cut it off now.  I had a hybrid, jubuitiagrus, that wer susceptible to graphiola leaf spot.  I gave up on the palm and yanked it, as half the(generally lower ones) leaves were getting hit every year no matter what I did..

I have 2 separate growing with identical issue. Weird since I never had this happen. Is this coming from under the soil or is external and is it possible it goes to my potted palms? 
I have also issues with my C. Fallaensis with a middle leave what is suddenly showing yellowing of the stem and 2 outer leaflets. I am concerned too much water maybe? But since they love water I doubt it. Watering every week or so at the moment. Attaching pic. What do you think? Thank you 

AE39811D-F077-46EB-A622-4C7C99D8EB82.jpeg

32 minutes ago, JANAIY said:

I have 2 separate growing with identical issue. Weird since I never had this happen. Is this coming from under the soil or is external and is it possible it goes to my potted palms? 
I have also issues with my C. Fallaensis with a middle leave what is suddenly showing yellowing of the stem and 2 outer leaflets. I am concerned too much water maybe? But since they love water I doubt it. Watering every week or so at the moment. Attaching pic. What do you think? Thank you 

AE39811D-F077-46EB-A622-4C7C99D8EB82.jpeg

You shouldnt be watering much at all now, its cold out. I see potassium defficiency on the fallaensis, possibly magnesium deficiency as well.  This should green up with palm fertilizer and the warmer weather.  Potassium deficiency appears as blotchiness, magnesium is smooth yelowing with still green veins.  Here  is a link ong graphiola leaf spot, your case would be advanced and it occurs on the lowest leaves as stated.  http://idtools.org/id/palms/symptoms/factsheet.php?name=Graphiola+Leaf+Spot  I doubt the fallaensis would get graphiola unless it was sick.

Tom Blank

16 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

You shouldnt be watering much at all now, its cold out. I see potassium defficiency on the fallaensis, possibly magnesium deficiency as well.  This should green up with palm fertilizer and the warmer weather.  Potassium deficiency appears as blotchiness, magnesium is smooth yelowing with still green veins.  Here  is a link ong graphiola leaf spot, your case would be advanced and it occurs on the lowest leaves as stated.  http://idtools.org/id/palms/symptoms/factsheet.php?name=Graphiola+Leaf+Spot  I doubt the fallaensis would get graphiola unless it was sick.

ok, during  cold I never water but I might have overwatered in the past. Applying  mag and pot is ok when the temperatures go back to 75F next week? Appreciate your expertise.  

Feliz Navidad-Happy Holidays

I would put a little down.  Once overnight lows are 60+ consistently I'd put more down.  I might also ig a hole nearby and see how deep the moisture is in your soil periodically.  IF you have terrible drainage its a different approach.  If you have fast drainage you have to worry about fertilization regimen as it gets rinse out fast unless you use a controlled release fertilizer like florikan palm special 8-2-12 plus micros,  In florikan different groups of minerals have different membrane permeability  in separate prills so release is truly controlled over time regardelss of rain or irrigation rates.

Tom Blank

I just started using Florikan nutricote total  18 6 8 , 180 days, (I was unable to find florikan 8 2 12 plus micros. Where can I find in Miami) and applied it when I got her 2 month ago and repotted her. If I understood right it takes like 90 days to start working? The soil isn't really fast draining. Looking at the draining holes the soil is pretty wet. And I already saw 1 root peeking out there, in 2 month the root made it from a 7gal down to 25gal, incredible.  I did  not expected that. So I hope its going to start releasing soon or how long it takes when you apply the first time?

Edited by JANAIY
resolve error

18-6-8 is not palm food, I wouldnt use it.  You need more potassium than nitrogen, you have double the nitrogen than the potassium, so you are nitrogen heavy.  I would order sulpomag as with that you do not add nitrogen.  Here in florida 8-2-12 is the rule and 4-1-6 is technically the same thing, ratio wise.  Keep that 18-6-8 for other plants that need it, I'd keep it away from palms.  The 8-2-12 has some fertilizer dust outside the prills immediately available but the prills will deliver full rate in 30 days.  I would add NO MORE 18-6-8 and put just one tsp sulpomag in the pot for the copernicia.  In march you can do that again.

Tom Blank

So who sells Florikan 8 2 12 in Miami? Called all of them what show on Florikan website S.Florida distribution , but single 50lbs bags they don’t sell. 
Only the West coast do but shipping is same  price as 1 bag. 
I don’t understand why they can’t sell them per bag. 
And Palm gain I will have to use meanwhile.