• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Editing a Livistona decora/decipiens

DoomsDave

If you’re into this thing, sometimes you have to remove a palm or palms, alas.

This Livistona decora was planted back in the early 2000s and stood about 35 feet tall. Trouble was, it would eventually get a lot taller, by which time it would be necessary to hire professional editors.

It no longer provided shade for the potted palms under it. 

Alas, time to remove and possibly replace.

CB054751-6333-47F5-BC0B-A9151A85DFA0.thumb.jpeg.29abd73508e48848d695ef6cd5468b26.jpeg

D5070690-1E01-4B6B-8F3C-7196DE1A1E3C.thumb.jpeg.eb5bfdb3e1a5ff0a6d387c983734e9e1.jpeg

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You have to do this with care with a palm this size. It weighs somewhere between half a ton and a whole ton, and if it falls on you, it’s a bad start to a new year.

But the hinge cut method works easily and well if you’re careful.

Timber!

Any questions? Ask away, or chime in with your own answers.

E6EDD318-1746-4E6E-BF56-C388B8F0F3B7.thumb.jpeg.cf4b1bc3ec632b8c5374a69629976371.jpeg

463EE649-591E-490D-85F3-0A5E3CFC2988.thumb.jpeg.f6e32e6f3647acc3ac7a5eae9d630e83.jpeg

A2E0CE6D-68E4-4A06-84A2-0FD5888B705E.thumb.jpeg.d83078724003d0c3e65525ee13ba9061.jpeg

• Like 6

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Had to be done, but it was a great palm none the less.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

46 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

tumblr_m2lvqc7EVb1ru3ss4o1_250.png

Well not really.

Plenty of replacements!

• Like 1

Do the tips usually brown like that in the winter season from cold or wind?

I'm curious as I just planted one with approx. 4 foot trunk in mid November and not sure if what I am seeing in mine with similar browning tips is from transplant shock or normal for the species. due to changing weather...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigWaveDav3 said:

Do the tips usually brown like that in the winter season from cold or wind?

I'm curious as I just planted one with approx. 4 foot trunk in mid November and not sure if what I am seeing in mine with similar browning tips is from transplant shock or normal for the species. due to changing weather...

I think that brown tipping is just something they do 

17 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I think that brown tipping is just something they do 

Good to know, thanks! 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, 96720 said:

Aren’t these palms self cleaning like a Bismarck 

Sorta kinda

Dave - How big are the crown?  I am looking to create a windbreak to plant on the other side of my back wall.  I've alway like the look of these.  Other option is Bizmarkias.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I have a grass of decora seedlings if you need me to dig a couple up for you ;)

I trust you probably have the same situation lol

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Mine are about 10' across, give or take a few feet. I'm not sure how well they would be for a wind break- those leaves aren't going to have the mass to stop any wind. the leaflets are pretty finely divided. They're a beautiful palm and grow fast, but if you want that stout, palmate wind blockage I'd say go with the Bismark- if you have the time....

Edit: Just to add, I bet those leaflets would be beautiful in HB with the coastal breeze. They wouldn't dry out as much as inland; not that they are all that sensitive to wind.

Edited by Patrick

Oakley, California

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

25 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Mine are about 10' across, give or take a few feet. I'm not sure how well they would be for a wind break- those leaves aren't going to have the mass to stop any wind. the leaflets are pretty finely divided. They're a beautiful palm and grow fast, but if you want that stout, palmate wind blockage I'd say go with the Bismark- if you have the time....

Edit: Just to add, I bet those leaflets would be beautiful in HB with the coastal breeze. They wouldn't dry out as much as inland; not that they are all that sensitive to wind.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks, for the offer!  I should be able to pick up some with size to them.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

5 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

Hi Patrick,

Thanks, for the offer!  I should be able to pick up some with size to them.

Lucky! I think the nearest I can get some with size is about 2 hours away. Though I'm not needing any more these days...

Oakley, California