• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kauri Pine is sweet tree

bubba

23 hours ago, bubba said:

7828D9C4-A94A-467C-A109-BFDE1FC64716.jpeg

So Bubba, as pointed out by KDubU, it is a very attractive tree.  What is the background on this one?  Any info on age and where it is growing?  Looks like it will require a decent amount of space like many conifers in the Araucariaceae family.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

9 minutes ago, Tracy said:

So Bubba, as pointed out by KDubU, it is a very attractive tree.  What is the background on this one?  Any info on age and where it is growing?  Looks like it will require a decent amount of space like many conifers in the Araucariaceae family.

Should have been added in ( since common names don't tell much about a plant ) but Kauri pine is Agathis robusta.  Spectacular tree but yes, they get HUGE.. Look up info on the specimen at The Huntington..

Shared this before. Specimen at Selby Botanical. Sarasota, FL..
DSCN0349.thumb.JPG.328523f24aa2c4d37cf5d64e214eca61.JPG

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Kauri pine is Agathis robusta.  Spectacular tree but yes, they get HUGE.. Look up info on the specimen at The Huntington..

I don't know my Araucariaceae very well, but I think they may have Agathis robusta growing here near me at the San Diego Botanical Garden (aka formerly known as Quail Botanical).  I know there is something in the Araucariaceae family on the main walkway heading down from the visitor center at the lower edge of  the lawn area that has similar structure to this one.  Massive, needs a yard with acreage or be in a large public space like a botanical garden or park.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 minute ago, Tracy said:

I don't know my Araucariaceae very well, but I think they may have Agathis robusta growing here near me at the San Diego Botanical Garden (aka formerly known as Quail Botanical).  I know there is something in the Araucariaceae family on the main walkway heading down from the visitor center at the lower edge of  the lawn area that has similar structure to this one.  Massive, needs a yard with acreage or be in a large public space like a botanical garden or park.

Thinking they do as well.. Possibly one ( or a couple ) in either Balboa Park's collection, or one/both of the Zoos. There might be one in Palomar College's Botanical Garden ( now re-named ) also. Definitely too big ( or intimidating, at the least ) for a small lot ( Imagine seeing that swaying in a Santa Ana breeze, outside your window, lol ).  Would look great planted as a grove somewhere though.

• Like 1

I remember these trees from my time in NZ.  I heard many stories about them as I was living on the edge of, and worked in the Waitakere ranges, which has one of the largest remaining populations left.  Man is so destructive...  

• Like 2

In scale, what Borassus is to Sabal, Kauri Pine is to Dade County Pine! Hails from Queensland area in Australia!

What you look for is what is looking

I just wish they were commercially available in Florida.

• Like 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

• 1 month later...

I have one of these in my front yard in Wickenburg, AZ.  No clue whatsoever how it will do in the summer, but we're at a higher altitude and we cool way off at night.  The cool thing about these is that they get massive and the trunks can be 8ft in diameter, but often the canopy is only 20ft in diameter.  They can, of course, be much wider.  But often they have a narrow profile for such a massive tree.  Mine is only about 6ft tall right now - hopefully it's 106ft tall one day.