• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Birmingham growth thread

Sabal King

16 hours ago, Jtee said:

I hesitated too long and now the seller is sold out of the Sabal Louisiana.

Damn thats a bummer =/ 

T J 

• 1 month later...

OK so just a little update... All six of mine are settling in nicely, but I got a nice surprise today as one of them is pushing out a new spear!  I can see nice light green growth on every single one, but this is the first one with a new spear...   I know these are painfully slow growers but they're starting!

IMG_20210509_104135.thumb.JPG.01ab12d9e7940936f6188da971a53106.JPG

IMG_20210509_104128.thumb.JPG.09969b315196e9920b55a5a2e6a58f5b.JPG

I need to get an updated picture of the first one on this thread as it has doubled in size (main growing spear).  Pretty decent growth so far in just not even 1.5 months.  Hasn't even gotten hot yet!

• Like 3

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

• 4 months later...

I think these are Louisana not sure. They did really well through Uri and look really nice lined up in a row @ Dallas area

20210920_170605.jpg

I received some Birmingham 1 years in the mail today

20211002_154719.jpg

Edited by DallasPalms
  • Like 2

In the fall of 2019,  Tony at Plant Delights sent me a 4" cup of Sabal Palmetto sp. birmingham before listing it in the magazine.  In 15 years it had grown a foot of trunk and was never given a heat source in zone 6b.  A nasty vortex took it out and no protection was given as I had moved and left it behind a few years earlier.  This species of Sabal Palmetto is hardy but was surprised of faster growth than I had heard from others, especially in a cooler southern z6b.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:56 PM, DallasPalms said:

I think these are Louisana not sure. They did really well through Uri and look really nice lined up in a row @ Dallas area

20210920_170605.jpg

I received some Birmingham 1 years in the mail today

20211002_154719.jpg

May I ask where you got them from?  I just picked up some like sized S. Minors to line a huge retaining wall we are doing.. planning to create a wall of indestructible palms once the wall is done!

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

They are on ebay currently the seller shares a little background about them through the past winter/Uri.

I do recommend buying they are very healthy... I like that they are slow growing... a preference for some locations other spots maybe need to be filled in more quickly...

I read they are an unknown hybrid? Anyone know about the seed size? Do they vary? I'll ask the Ebay seller too

Edited by DallasPalms

3 minutes ago, DallasPalms said:

They are on ebay currently the seller shares a little background about them through the past winter/Uri.

I do recommend buying they are very healthy... I like that they are slow growing... a preference for some locations other spots maybe need to be filled in more quickly...

I read they are an unknown hybrid? Anyone know about the seed size? Do they vary? I'll ask the Ebay seller too

ah ok, this is the same guy I got mine from in this thread.. the ones I got were a bit larger than what you have, but they look great, and are all now sending up split leaves, some even looking close to palmate.  I can't WAIT to get these larger, and likely will be ordering more from this guy.  He's awesome.