• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Gonna do the imidacloprid drench - what are my palm's heights??

PricklyPearSATC

I'm doing the imidacloprid drench for my sabal minors and sabal brazoria because I've had problems with the ox beetle in the past and I just know I'm gonna get a bumper crop this year.  But how on earth do I measure their heights?  Do I measure the trunks or from the ground to the highest frond?  The minors have no trunk, the brazoria has a 6 inch trunk.  But if I measure from the ground to the top of the highest frond, then the brazoria is at least 6 feet and the sabal minors are about 2.5 feet.   I'm confused. 

Thank you! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

I'm doing the imidacloprid drench for my sabal minors and sabal brazoria because I've had problems with the ox beetle in the past and I just know I'm gonna get a bumper crop this year.  But how on earth do I measure their heights?  Do I measure the trunks or from the ground to the highest frond?  The minors have no trunk, the brazoria has a 6 inch trunk.  But if I measure from the ground to the top of the highest frond, then the brazoria is at least 6 feet and the sabal minors are about 2.5 feet.   I'm confused. 

Thank you! 

I'm tagging along as I recently discovered this issue being a possibility in my area and most of mine are 3-5 yr seedlings\plants.  I have even less of an idea on how much to provide them..

• Like 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

44 minutes ago, tlow said:

I'm tagging along as I recently discovered this issue being a possibility in my area and most of mine are 3-5 yr seedlings\plants.  I have even less of an idea on how much to provide them..

The measurement thing always gets me.  Instructions are clear for trees, but shrubs are weird. 

Just stumbled on this video.  It's in Spanish and it appears to be promoting a biological control, but it shows habitat and damage.

• Like 1

Generally I just mix this stuff in a watering can and water in a area one foot around smaller stuff.  Use the shrub rating amounts on the label and the heights you mentioned, it won't hurt anything.  I can't tell you more without seeing the concentration on the label.  My concentration is 1.47% and if I were you with this concentration I'd mix about 6-8 ounces in a 2 gallon watering can and water around base of each.  

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I am thinking a couple of teaspoons for good measure in a watering can and walk that around to all of my palms (mostly seedlings 3-5yr olds or so) with a couple of larger ones for good measure.

• Like 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas