• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Arenga engleri

WaianaeCrider

Beautiful palm that has been in the ground since 2005.  Bought as 1 gal from FloraBunda.2110429341_Arengaengalari0.thumb.jpg.380580fb095508a73a8590e13e0af51d.jpg

163458447_Arengaengalari2006-11.JPG.f17f7b788626f778a0cd8b40216e2ff9.JPG

2141531193_Arengaengalari2008-10.jpg.8a5c005c17970566b5ed69b58f8cdf9b.jpg

1929422081_Arengaengalari2009-02.thumb.JPG.24f267416af34245583670aaf15a20a4.JPG

Jump ahead 10 years to 2019

775208080_Arengaengleri-20191110_132156.thumb.jpg.1054be81cfd7ce1cd43a835fda14f636.jpg

• Like 4

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

This palm does excellent in Galveston. Gigantic one at Moody Gaardens. I had a Arenga Micranthra survive 4*F in February 2021, and my somewhat less protected Engleri hasn’t so far. I am about 150 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. They Love heat humidity and rain. 

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Slow there in Waianae, I used these pretty extensively in my 9a Florida garden and they have done very well surviving temps <20F. I think they like a good amount of water.

• Like 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Yes, beautiful when young and in adolescence, but often an impenetrable messy clump when established (like a lot of clumping palms).

I don't mean to be negative but I once helped a friend tidy up his clump, we could not get to the middle to take out all of the dead fronds. It was over six feet across.

But to be fair, I don't know how many decades it took to get to that size. 

I have sprouted the seeds and given them all away with the appropriate warnings as I saw it. The seedlings have really cute/different ragged looking leaves.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

This was mine back in 2010. Strong grower here in Southern California but I did remove it as it continued to spread out. 

Give them some space and enjoy.

IMG_1068.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Yes, beautiful when young and in adolescence, but often an impenetrable messy clump when established (like a lot of clumping palms).

I don't mean to be negative but I once helped a friend tidy up his clump, we could not get to the middle to take out all of the dead fronds. It was over six feet across.

I have sprouted the seeds and given them all away with the appropriate warnings as I saw it. The seedlings have really cute/different ragged looking leaves.

This will never get "a lot" of water.  Not here on the west side.  LOL  Well some winters I might get 10 inches a month, but probably only one month a year will get that much.  My only regret is I planted it at the edge of a bed and it's getting a bit difficult to get past and there is a 3' drop just off the 1 1/2 foot wide path.  LOL

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Here' s mine which has been in ground since 1998.  They're a tough palm which can tolerate sub zero  & very hot temperatures equally as well.

xsVq0dG.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here’s one of mine

08985A20-1DCF-4DC3-8928-0953E4A7534E.thumb.jpeg.794400efce2dd0dfd553e86540fa53f2.jpeg

45C1C903-694F-4E6C-B8A9-25456B13A830.thumb.jpeg.6cfe84d791e02a2b8ebdf3a33290a6da.jpeg

• Like 6

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

@WaianaeCrider Arenga engleri are tough, and great for barriers, kinda like big, scowling mokes standing at the front gate, arms crossed. . . .

I have a line of them at the western edge of my place and they block the view the World's Ugliest Roof quite effectively.

They really appreciate a lot of water, but they'll also survive drought, almost like Chamadorea radicalis, the Mexican Moke Palm . . . .

• Like 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 4/27/2021 at 5:00 AM, gtsteve said:

They do need their maintenance, or a home where looks are less important. Those dead leaves can make a nice barrier and mask an ugl[ier] view.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2021 at 1:28 AM, Collectorpalms said:

This palm does excellent in Galveston. Gigantic one at Moody Gaardens. I had a Arenga Micranthra survive 4*F in February 2021, and my somewhat less protected Engleri hasn’t so far. I am about 150 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. They Love heat humidity and rain. 

Your engleri hasn't died? If so, wow.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

This will never get "a lot" of water.  Not here on the west side.  LOL  Well some winters I might get 10 inches a month, but probably only one month a year will get that much.  My only regret is I planted it at the edge of a bed and it's getting a bit difficult to get past and there is a 3' drop just off the 1 1/2 foot wide path.  LOL

Your palm can be dug and moved. I dug and moved one about 10 years ago, and it was about half again the size of yours. It's heavy, but with care, a doable move. Extra water and a bit of fert help, plus shielding from too much wind till it reestablishes.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2021 at 6:04 AM, Palm Tree Jim said:

This was mine back in 2010. Strong grower here in Southern California but I did remove it as it continued to spread out. 

Give them some space and enjoy.

IMG_1068.JPG

Very nice specimen! How long did yours take to get to this size? What was the top width on this one prior to removal?