• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

All about Agaves

teddytn

1 hour ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi Teddy,

Wonderful plants, especially the first.  Here you need a lot of luck to find such plants. It's better to grow them from seed. Currently two little ovatifolia (I hope they are) are sending out their third leave.

When big enough they will be planted outside.

Eckhard

There’s one nursery I frequent that I would expect to see agaves. At a Walmart is a different story 😂

A feral colony of what appears to be Agave lechuguilla x lopantha (splendida?) Both are common in cultivation in Austin, especially lopantha. Even the freshly exposed offsets had a yellow center stripe.

FAD5B77E-9573-4D89-B8E6-61B9533BFEE6.thumb.jpeg.3d7f51f68a079517d9ac5f6bfaa0260c.jpegA66F46F3-EC8F-4728-8CD9-E6205499671D.thumb.jpeg.44764aac9ce45f06b4970827d0d1b8d9.jpegA370E9E0-6672-4261-9531-55E7C139F646.thumb.jpeg.a75702aeb7f64833ffec29e586d5ff07.jpegB7B6261D-1204-4E54-A6E8-F80DE405D0B1.thumb.jpeg.1a08cc79b5dedf3bd54cfdddd89afb61.jpeg75387743-6495-4FB2-9143-561B6FFF3EFA.thumb.jpeg.d76365ec83fd3aeaad1267744080b266.jpeg

• Like 3

Some of the gazillions of Agave desmettiana  planted around town.. Vomit-worthy -and invasive- Fountain Grass behind it.

IMG_1500.thumb.JPG.2648b885a0243e10fd7f153b54ed89a4.JPG

A couple A. vilmorinia nearby ..2nd one decided to produce bulbils rather than flowering. Flowering specimen will likely do the same thing.  Fountain Grass = KILL IT!:evil:

IMG_1501.thumb.JPG.5df21ad72dbc1897fa20e558ded0d425.JPG

IMG_1502.thumb.JPG.a79d715a0c972785147c799989f3ae01.JPG

• Like 3

Next batch of Agave chrysantha  seed.

Sown last Friday..  90% grit / 10% Coco Peat, Topped by fine sand ( for the seed to rest on ) Topped w/ a little larger grit to hold em' in place. ..A little more fine sprinkled on top and placed in the Ziplock.  That's it.

IMG_1450.thumb.JPG.f6b6d7e38a257b9e8cf1972a5b2e95bf.JPG

IMG_1452.thumb.JPG.fd3005dc7eafd2d39afafa49faa05267.JPG

IMG_1453.thumb.JPG.a271c7f66accf182ad45c5b6f5cf5ea1.JPG

Poppin today ..Actually started seeing movement on Monday.

IMG_1660.thumb.JPG.0080fceed6b53b02b05579c07fdabd71.JPG

Bigger seedlings started last year / Smaller plants that germinated during last summer Monsoon.  Bigger ones will be repotted shortly. Smaller will go in a pot together in finer sand.

IMG_1661.thumb.JPG.bf614ff571b11cccf1d5ad0c0db330a9.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 5/10/2023 at 7:04 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Next batch of Agave chrysantha  seed.

Sown last Friday..  90% grit / 10% Coco Peat, Topped by fine sand ( for the seed to rest on ) Topped w/ a little larger grit to hold em' in place. ..A little more fine sprinkled on top and placed in the Ziplock.  That's it.

Poppin today ..Actually started seeing movement on Monday.

IMG_1660.thumb.JPG.0080fceed6b53b02b05579c07fdabd71.JPG

Bigger seedlings started last year / Smaller plants that germinated during last summer Monsoon.  Bigger ones will be repotted shortly. Smaller will go in a pot together in finer sand.

IMG_1661.thumb.JPG.bf614ff571b11cccf1d5ad0c0db330a9.JPG

Nice  to see last years here, Silas. They get bigger in one year than I would have thought. Which I'm glad of, less babying at that size.

• Upvote 1

Several varieties I sowed this spring. First time with agave seedlings. A. Victoriae-Reginae var campacta, Agave Ferdinandi-regis AKA nicolosi, Agave parryi truncata, A. parryi var. huachucensis, A. Utahensis var. eborispina. Plus A. Chrysantha & Dasylirion wheeleri & Nolina microcarpia thanks to Silas!

They are so tiny and seem to keep wanting to raise themselves out of the soil. Will have to go back a few times with a spoon and tweezers to set them right.

DSC_9671.JPG

DSC_9672.JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lyn96 said:

Several varieties I sowed this spring. First time with agave seedlings. A. Victoriae-Reginae var campacta, Agave Ferdinandi-regis AKA nicolosi, Agave parryi truncata, A. parryi var. huachucensis, A. Utahensis var. eborispina. Plus A. Chrysantha & Dasylirion wheeleri & Nolina microcarpia thanks to Silas!

They are so tiny and seem to keep wanting to raise themselves out of the soil. Will have to go back a few times with a spoon and tweezers to set them right.

DSC_9671.JPG

DSC_9672.JPG

:greenthumb: Nice set up Lynn, and your welcome.  Was just looking at similar trays last week for starting grass seed /other stuff that has to stay moist until past the just- germinated seedling stage.

If you look closely, you can see some of the chrysantha seedlings trying to do the same thing here. Sprinkled a little fine sand over them earlier to settle them. Tried picking a couple out / using a sewing needle to bore a bigger hole to put them back into ( for the roots ) but the darn things wouldn't cooperate, w/ out a little fuss, lol. I may have put too many seeds in this pot, but they'll  be alright.

IMG_1781.thumb.JPG.883bf80f8a3f1ff6c9e12cf434f101a3.JPG

The bigger seedlings / smaller ones ( Picture #2 ) that came up last August.  Those all went in the same pot in finer sand.

IMG_1817.thumb.JPG.33e96df4b4306846fb2134e8122051e0.JPG

IMG_1816.thumb.JPG.475bb2cfdf7ad8701f76f7883ba50629.JPG

• Like 3

I germinated them all in paper towels in a baggie then put them in trays and pots with domes that fit the trays. I left them too long in the paper towels and lost some by damaging roots- which I think I mentioned, but I'll mention it again for others. Some of the roots dried out as the baggies were on top of pots which were on top of a heat source. There was so much condensation that some of the paper towel dried out. But I planted those anyway, I figure they may survive as they're succulents.

The domes and domed containers are a bit of a PITA to start things in from the get-go, as even if you boil the soil micro-organisms get in there sooner or later anyway and they risk more mold. I soak the seeds in 20% of 3% H2O2 and water solution overnight then lightly wet paper towels with a 15% solution and put them in a zip lock. Seemed to work great with very little fungus and that was only coming out from within a few dead seeds. It didn't spread. The A. huachucensis seeds got crushed in the mail and some molded. I'm actually surprised I'm getting as much germination from them as I am.

• Like 1

I need to go by the river and see if I can find good sand. The only sand available here is very fine, not good for this. The dirt road along the river was to wet to drive on when I planted these.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:21 PM, Josue Diaz said:

Here are a few more of mine: 

A. parryi truncata

Gorgeous, the P. truncata especially.

8 minutes ago, Lyn96 said:

I germinated them all in paper towels in a baggie then put them in trays and pots with domes that fit the trays. I left them too long in the paper towels and lost some by damaging roots- which I think I mentioned, but I'll mention it again for others. Some of the roots dried out as the baggies were on top of pots which were on top of a heat source. There was so much condensation that some of the paper towel dried out. But I planted those anyway, I figure they may survive as they're succulents.

The domes and domed containers are a bit of a PITA to start things in from the get-go, as even if you boil the soil micro-organisms get in there sooner or later anyway and they risk more mold. I soak the seeds in 20% of 3% H2O2 and water solution overnight then lightly wet paper towels with a 15% solution and put them in a zip lock. Seemed to work great with very little fungus and that was only coming out from within a few dead seeds. It didn't spread. The A. huachucensis seeds got crushed in the mail and some molded. I'm actually surprised I'm getting as much germination from them as I am.

Know what you mean regarding the domed seed trays.. Good for starting indoors  or real early in spring but forget it outdoors here once it is over 85F each day, even in shade.  I'm just after the bottom half since it makes watering multiple pots of seedlings much easier + not disturbing small seed when trying to water.  As dry as it can be in CA, one day over 102 w/ less than 10% humidity and ..even a slight breeze  can fry even well established seedlings, even if you keep them in bright shade all day.  That gets better once we get into Monsoon season and the humidity is back in the 40-50+% range each day, and isn't quite as hot. ( upper 90s to lower 100s, instead of 105-115+ each- day- )

11 minutes ago, Lyn96 said:

I need to go by the river and see if I can find good sand. The only sand available here is very fine, not good for this. The dirt road along the river was to wet to drive on when I planted these.

I've shown my soil mix "method " in various areas of the forum  at different times but this is how i separate the buckets of grit/sand/gravel i'll collect. Yea it's tedious but works out pretty well. Combined w/ stuff like Coconut Peat ( Ground Coconut Husk ), Pumice ( ..won't ever use Perlite ) and Turface ( MVP ) my soil mixes work really well for a wide variety of plants.

Stuff like cacti / succulent-type things, the soil mix is no less than 60% grit/ pumice and/or Turface.. Certain Cacti, other things that are really particular about the soil they'll grow in, the %' age of inorganic stuff is more like 85-90%.  All that said, working out the "perfect" soil mix is a process i'm still trying to perfect, lol..

4 stage separation:

IMG_1725.thumb.JPG.bb4400aaa9bb468c9e00149b6d73e79a.JPG

Closer look at the results of each  sifting " step "

Largest " gravel " ..I'll often use this for top dressing around special plants, Cacti / certain other succulent-type stuff  esp.  instead of in a soil mix.

IMG_1726.thumb.JPG.37a6a46c7be4ac7773ea29763de695e8.JPG

Next size sifted:  Can use in a soil mix, or as a finer top dressing. Someone was tossing the Pasta Strainer so i saved it.. Turned out to work perfectly for this, though i wish it were larger.

IMG_1727.thumb.JPG.499a52b4405f876bf36546d7bdf43c6a.JPG

Best " grit " / " larger sand size " for using in soil mixes..  Material is the fabric mesh back of an old patio chair that had broke long ago. If you know people who raise them, size-wise, this would be similar to " Chicken Grit " ..Sometimes referred to as "Horticultural" Grit also. Rarely have issues w/ stuff staying too wet / drying out too fast / soil compacting when using this in the soil mix.

IMG_1728.thumb.JPG.8008a8b8496ba890480032f0fc9083bb.JPG

Finest sized material:  I'll use a little of this in some soil mixes though too much and, ..as i'm sure you know, soil will stay too wet.  Good for seedling mixes ..in moderation of course, lol.

IMG_1729.thumb.JPG.5c3c4dc42efcf266e419ad0e8ccac119.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I've shown my soil mix "method " in various areas of the forum  at different times but this is how i separate the buckets of grit/sand/gravel i'll collect. Yea it's tedious but works out pretty well. Combined w/ stuff like Coconut Peat ( Ground Coconut Husk ), Pumice ( ..won't ever use Perlite ) and Turface ( MVP ) my soil mixes work really well for a wide variety of plants.

Stuff like cacti / succulent-type things, the soil mix is no less than 60% grit/ pumice and/or Turface.. Certain Cacti, other things that are really particular about the soil they'll grow in, the %' age of inorganic stuff is more like 85-90%.  All that said, working out the "perfect" soil mix is a process i'm still trying to perfect, lol..

4 stage separation:

IMG_1725.thumb.JPG.bb4400aaa9bb468c9e00149b6d73e79a.JPG

Closer look at the results of each  sifting " step "

Largest " gravel " ..I'll often use this for top dressing around special plants, Cacti / certain other succulent-type stuff  esp.  instead of in a soil mix.

IMG_1726.thumb.JPG.37a6a46c7be4ac7773ea29763de695e8.JPG

Next size sifted:  Can use in a soil mix, or as a finer top dressing. Someone was tossing the Pasta Strainer so i saved it.. Turned out to work perfectly for this, though i wish it were larger.

IMG_1727.thumb.JPG.499a52b4405f876bf36546d7bdf43c6a.JPG

Best " grit " / " larger sand size " for using in soil mixes..  Material is the fabric mesh back of an old patio chair that had broke long ago. If you know people who raise them, size-wise, this would be similar to " Chicken Grit " ..Sometimes referred to as "Horticultural" Grit also. Rarely have issues w/ stuff staying too wet / drying out too fast / soil compacting when using this in the soil mix.

IMG_1728.thumb.JPG.8008a8b8496ba890480032f0fc9083bb.JPG

Finest sized material:  I'll use a little of this in some soil mixes though too much and, ..as i'm sure you know, soil will stay too wet.  Good for seedling mixes ..in moderation of course, lol.

IMG_1729.thumb.JPG.5c3c4dc42efcf266e419ad0e8ccac119.JPG

...Here's what my "standard" soil mix, esp for 1-3gal sized plants, looks like when everything is combined, w/ a Quarter for scale.. Forgot to mention that i'll also recycle materials ..Something dies,  i'll sift out the Pumice / grit / Turface MVP, and toss the fine sand / silty stiff, then rinse through / let the "saved" material sit out in the sun for a day or two before using again. Saved me a lot of $$ so far.

IMG_1818.thumb.JPG.0efbfb682c5f4dadce7aa52d62c1c02a.JPG

Yeah, I'm recycling quite a bit.. The traditional marijuana industry in far northern Ca is going bankrupt. It's being taken over by large companies that are financed by stocks and hedge funds. Lots of smaller farmers are going broke and leaving the area and I suspect leaving hundreds of thousands of pots and irrigation line in the woods. Very sad. I bought 3 yards of used peat soil this spring and used pots for very cheap. Keeping my eye out for ferts in yard sales etc. I have a very small yard, so kind of limited in what I can store and grow. Which is why I have a lot of slow growing plants.. A quick and easy way to sterilize pots is to put them in a construction bag, pour 1/2 cup of 99% rubbing alcohol into the bottom of the bag, tie and leave overnight. The bag and alcohol can be reused to sterilize another bunch the next day.

I like what you are doing with the sand, although, I don't know if I'll do very much of that. My back will go on strike. I had some sort of large blue agave here in a large container in a plain clay (!) soil/peat mix that survived many wet winters.. It actually thrived until the neighborhood kids got drunk and ran it over :( Then their uncle, not knowing what had happened to it stole it because he thought it was abused and neglected and felt sorry for it, lol (it's OK, I know him, he isn't really a thief, just overly sensitive). Except for the Utahensis I'll be using more peat and pearlite in the mix. Probably some pumice too, If I can get a few buckets from a bulk soil place close by. Otherwise it's very expensive in little 8 lb bags.  I'll be experimenting with what species can take what soil mix.

A friend is giving me a pup or 2 from her variegated A. Americana this summer and it'll be where the other one was, but this time it'll have twisted rebar going through the large pot and into the ground. The tops of the rebar will be at a large truck's grill level. I might even cement them in there : D

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lyn96 said:

Yeah, I'm recycling quite a bit.. The traditional marijuana industry in far northern Ca is going bankrupt. It's being taken over by large companies that are financed by stocks and hedge funds. Lots of smaller farmers are going broke and leaving the area and I suspect leaving hundreds of thousands of pots and irrigation line in the woods. Very sad. I bought 3 yards of used peat soil this spring and used pots for very cheap. Keeping my eye out for ferts in yard sales etc. I have a very small yard, so kind of limited in what I can store and grow. Which is why I have a lot of slow growing plants.. A quick and easy way to sterilize pots is to put them in a construction bag, pour 1/2 cup of 99% rubbing alcohol into the bottom of the bag, tie and leave overnight. The bag and alcohol can be reused to sterilize another bunch the next day.

I like what you are doing with the sand, although, I don't know if I'll do very much of that. My back will go on strike. I had some sort of large blue agave here in a large container in a plain clay (!) soil/peat mix that survived many wet winters.. It actually thrived until the neighborhood kids got drunk and ran it over :( Then their uncle, not knowing what had happened to it stole it because he thought it was abused and neglected and felt sorry for it, lol (it's OK, I know him, he isn't really a thief, just overly sensitive). Except for the Utahensis I'll be using more peat and pearlite in the mix. Probably some pumice too, If I can get a few buckets from a bulk soil place close by. Otherwise it's very expensive in little 8 lb bags.  I'll be experimenting with what species can take what soil mix.

A friend is giving me a pup or 2 from her variegated A. Americana this summer and it'll be where the other one was, but this time it'll have twisted rebar going through the large pot and into the ground. The tops of the rebar will be at a large truck's grill level. I might even cement them in there : D

Figured that would happen once it was legalized / industry started growing.. I'd probably be scouting the woods looking for pots / any other stuff left behind too, lol.. Interesting tip regarding sterilizing pots. I always just empty, rince once or twice, then leave out in the sun for a couple days ( or longer, haha.. Bad about putting pots back in a shed where i keep most of them )

Agree, Pumice, and some other single ingredient in-organics can be a bit $$, which was a big reason i started reusing it. Can still find 50lb bags of Pumice for around $20 though. Use Lava cinder, which is a little cheaper, but harder to find in bulk. There is a place in Tucson which supposedly sells both in bulk though i keep forgetting to check out when down there.. They also supposedly sell what they call " Zen "  Sand ( utilized for Zen Gardens / Bocce ball courts ). It is supposedly a Limestone-based sand, which i want for stuff i grow which wants a primarily limestone-based soil mix to grow properly..

As far as collecting material yourself, agree, lol ..not so easy on the back which is why i'd say start small ..collect just enough for your " special " plants, esp. if you're close enough to a river to access material as often as you would like later. Here, i travel as much as 30-70 miles to the specific spots i collect at.  Notice too that weight -of the grit / sand- can be influenced by the parent rock the material is made of.. We have a lot of Quartz-derived Granite that breaks down into reasonably ..but not terribly heavy  material. Even less weight when there is Limestone-derived material in the mix. 

In other areas where the grit is made up of denser rock types ( ..or lots of rock compared to sandier material ) ..that is heavy lifting for sure, lol.  Probably makes me sound crazy ( No worries there haha ), but i can tell the difference down to how " clean " the sand is when i run water through it, let alone how it looks as i sift through it. 

That's funny about the Agave.. though sad it got ran over..  Would definitely keep even a variegated americana in a large pot..

After having to clean / clean up after those, i will never ever own anything americana, lol.. Get too massive, too quickly ..and fights back worse than a Cat when it is intent on escaping where you are trying to keep it. Definitely one of the toughest / hardest to kill sp. for sure though.

Oh.. no.. one can't just go scouting around the woods here in marijuana country.. It's possible to get shot doing that, or at the very least yelled at for an extended period of time.. I'm just looking on craig's list, trading plants for pots etc. May put up an add at the dump.. I do pay a little bit..

Yeah, Americanas are monsters. They don't invade everything here in our mostly clay soils, but they and their many pups do surprisingly well in all the clay and winter rain. Not much if any granite here, just clay/seabed, serpentine, young chert & shale. And more clay.

Bulk is great, but the delivery fees are sometimes more than the product. Isn't practical unless you get a good amount or have a truck. Most trucks can't fit or handle the weight of that much. Then again our gas prices are very high - $5.40 a gallon last week. I'm way out there- 70 miles from a decently priced grocery store. I make trips once a month or so lately.

• Like 1

A " Mid- May check-in " at the Flat after some rain last night. Made it back w/out tire ..or any /other car - related issues ...How about that, haha.

A. chrysantha..

IMG_2228.thumb.JPG.589326652eb4e60877e6e470d237bf11.JPG

IMG_2229.thumb.JPG.b084aa1eb1dfebdf7e07a39df6a223a9.JPG

IMG_2243.thumb.JPG.d106a7ab556200bc5fc5cdd0eae2b2db.JPG

IMG_2301.thumb.JPG.c1b8c705751efb097ec885dc1b16586d.JPG

IMG_2344.thumb.JPG.5a9f8049af682f209b3833f9d5daa570.JPG

...Getting ready....

IMG_2348.thumb.JPG.48be3c9d714ada1b83eedf5ca94cd460.JPG

IMG_2349.thumb.JPG.124960c1629e4e4e1cffeeb20c753d43.JPG

IMG_2350.thumb.JPG.e48398d75464892395fba747e01e51b5.JPG

IMG_2351.thumb.JPG.855a45f0d6cecdf92d1bbb1b3f35ebc0.JPG

IMG_2475.thumb.JPG.7bb6e29823bfb3fb720ad7e3fb6e53e4.JPG

Nolina microcarpa  getting ready to bloom..

IMG_2257.thumb.JPG.c7df49955baeca72fd5ba6725b40aae7.JPG

IMG_2440.thumb.JPG.13db4a559d34c9606cf297b226d00032.JPG

IMG_2258.thumb.JPG.14726150d6b678c0d77fc545f21c2a36.JPG

Non- molested Dasylirion wheeleri  on the way to flowering.

IMG_2208.thumb.JPG.79713388e77f3d7f369cce6c8bf60665.JPG

IMG_2244.thumb.JPG.b35af636da1135d2f4be71ca43ad5740.JPG

IMG_2416.thumb.JPG.c9ecb5a0dada0efbaa3c41bfef5b973b.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have 2 ovatifolia that have done amazing here in TN. Always read that they don’t pup…. so maybe should be stated as rarely.  Looks like we’ve got one here boys!!!! There’s no other agaves close enough that this could have come from. 91638EC6-32AF-43FB-BEA9-FAF2382C7FB8.thumb.jpeg.3940726a3d1cec9c009acd8a95d437d3.jpegLittle buddy is right next to it. A61F5FDA-3183-4A39-A044-2CD9812AE0AD.thumb.jpeg.2a2c391bdff7ef0945a3852b38568a46.jpeg35EE9716-9E59-4E19-9685-A079ECB0E7C4.thumb.jpeg.6adb3772e0fa042b520a0565657fc1c5.jpeg

Edited by teddytn
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, teddytn said:

Have 2 ovatifolia that have done amazing here in TN. Always read that they don’t pup…. so maybe should be stated as rarely.  Looks like we’ve got one here boys!!!! There’s no other agaves close enough that this could have come from. 91638EC6-32AF-43FB-BEA9-FAF2382C7FB8.thumb.jpeg.3940726a3d1cec9c009acd8a95d437d3.jpegLittle buddy is right next to it. A61F5FDA-3183-4A39-A044-2CD9812AE0AD.thumb.jpeg.2a2c391bdff7ef0945a3852b38568a46.jpeg35EE9716-9E59-4E19-9685-A079ECB0E7C4.thumb.jpeg.6adb3772e0fa042b520a0565657fc1c5.jpeg

The Agave may have been tissue cultured. I’ve heard that is sometimes a side effect.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I read the same thing @Meangreen94z.  I also have the opposite, a bunch of Seemanniana v. Pygmae "Dragon Toes" that are supposed to be puppers...several years and not a single offset!  I kinda want a few offsets.  :D  @teddytnI'd leave those until they are at least 6" diameter before removing them for transplant or potting.  If you take them off at that size they'll take a loooooong time to grow to a decent plantable size.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lots of stalks rising above the Chaparral signaling the start of  this year's  A. Chrysantha flowering cycle...

IMG_3596.thumb.JPG.d72716b3d443d29fa96bd22728e74004.JPG

IMG_3598.thumb.JPG.c3a711ffcf994cb75c679f4c6eb95e2a.JPG

IMG_3599.thumb.JPG.2e0de319f3bb0b69ca7c4188828241dc.JPG

IMG_3635.thumb.JPG.dca352610b3b8b1615663949bd3563af.JPG

IMG_3639.thumb.JPG.8e83315433a4a5b6d369d49abc5d9927.JPG

Nice specimen who got a head start..

IMG_3601.thumb.JPG.b84cb90c10793ed650ac301d0a6f845e.JPG

IMG_3626.thumb.JPG.77daba8fad77ecfd6d2ae8979082ccae.JPG

IMG_3633.thumb.JPG.0d11bd7bdf966661cfaefe31114c0559.JPG

IMG_3634.thumb.JPG.053ecaa0f5d9d675d493ed72774af367.JPG

IMG_3623.thumb.JPG.fed00ca24980af07b17586e4e586cd97.JPG

IMG_3622.thumb.JPG.2e6942e4361d16f9244ccaa5a83b47eb.JPG

Younger specimen w nice coloration..

IMG_3636.thumb.JPG.8384a4eab572eb86df1fd2f8e62a37e6.JPG

Dasylirion wheeleri  doing their thing...

IMG_3483.thumb.JPG.5926a54cafd7e59969a1e3f146b9f631.JPG

IMG_3511.thumb.JPG.62e4beab16ee6cebcceb6f3544823834.JPG

IMG_3579.thumb.JPG.01f8c8b98bcc57a14cb8cc987d5c1f23.JPG

How about some closer ups of an individual flowering stalk..

IMG_3580.thumb.JPG.fd7a23bbcfe217f3de2a9035fe536b2c.JPG

IMG_3581.thumb.JPG.e7ff48068fa2bf6d76c8a2e1c9e1fccb.JPG

IMG_3582.thumb.JPG.557a7811671eeffb721852d58e13ad52.JPG

Nolina microcarpa ...doing their thing too.

IMG_3486.thumb.JPG.304bcec4adff8f8ad87ca5e48b4d5a4b.JPG

IMG_3686.thumb.JPG.8514b3c2a32fc7583ad23c7b18d41795.JPG

.....  Now to figure our who my surprise guest of the day was...

IMG_3616.thumb.JPG.4b42468fa19ed29aa45b10c12715045b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

Hot off the press:  An article regarding Domesticate / Pre - Columbian Agave discoveries here in AZ, other areas of the Southwestern U.S.,  and adjacent parts of Mexico..  

https://phys.org/news/2023-10-pre-columbian-agave-persisting-arizona-landscapes.html

Great story for Indigenous People's Day..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here I Germany  a lot of Y. gloriosa flower in autumn. Sometimes they do twice, in spring and autumn. Unfortunately the flowers in autumn die because of frost.

Eckhard 

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Here's a quick update on one of my agave beds.  Some plants just didn't recover after a cold winter, and it's clear that they were never going to survive the swamps of Floriduh.  I removed a Palmeri "Kutsugen No Mai Ogi," a "Little Shark," an Ocahui, a Miquihuana Silver, a Titanota "White Ice," a "Blue Flame," a Nickelsiae, a "Desert Love," and a random Salmiana.  Other random agave deaths are a Gigantensis that got repeatedly stomped by the roofers, a Mangave "Silver Fox" and an Attenuata "Ray of Light" that never resprouted after the extended ~28F last Christmas. 

New plantings in the rear agave bed are along the curved section of blocks.  At front bottom right is a Lophantha "Miniskirt" that was in too much shade to grow well.  Just to the left is a "Kissho Khan" that has been growing really well for a couple of years.  Behind it is a Bracteosa "Stingray" variegated, then a Bracteosa "Daddy Longlegs" and a tiny Xylonacantha "Frostbite."  In the background is a Montana "Baccarat" that I planted last fall.  The "Ripple Effect" sneaking in from the upper left is a real favorite of mine!

20231029_180536AgavesrearbedNW.thumb.jpg.3605bb0189e02ca4b8113feae70d8521.jpg

Just to the East of that are a few new plantings too.  The center front one is a Lophantha "La Bufa Baby" that has a neat bluish haze on new leaves.  In the background right is a "Confederate Rose," and to the left of it is a Filifera x Isthmensis.  These have been really great small clustering agaves.

20231029_180541AgavesrearbedNW.thumb.jpg.69c099b7ab740bc3e5f482d9ad8a704f.jpg

Further to the left is the "riverbed" in white marble.  In the bottom just right of center I added a Mangave "Praying Hands."  Just behind it is a Romanii (not the "Shadow Dancer" but just the regular one) and on the centerline of the white "riverbed" behind it is a Bracteosa "Mateo," with an Obscura "Red Skyline" a few feet behind it.  Just to the right of the streambed is a Salmiana "Logan Calhoun" in the spot missing a few red lava rocks.

20231029_180549Agavesrearbedstreamline.thumb.jpg.b787695e5b36031134b0789180a64eaf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

A few pictures of Agave neomexicana , Agave lechuguilla, and the hybrid of the two Agave xgracilipes from Guadalupe Mountains National Park.

90E93100-5F9E-4AEC-B4D2-6C9779AD1885.jpeg

4D48C5D9-CA63-4F81-912C-3649AAB03F1B.jpeg

678E73FF-5C76-4250-A4CA-2DC8B1D72F8A.jpeg

BD00638F-C060-4B20-923B-ED8922302F60.jpeg

E72A787B-2BBC-4C19-80D9-349A0BB8BB3A.jpeg

E6FEA8FE-03D3-4609-9173-5B47BB19C542.jpeg

1BE1FD98-9101-4768-A873-75985CBF4866.jpeg

7BC1B1D5-6E21-43C8-AB42-A2975E295074.jpeg

2DB118F3-7FD7-4780-B72E-68D80EF1F5EA.jpeg

556A01D9-9110-4E31-91B8-917783DF01AA.jpeg

6A3A7AAA-5895-41CC-9A14-1BFB4E8373F6.jpeg

10A19CD2-B12A-4AE4-B1D1-717E99623604.jpeg

CCDD4FF1-F2D3-41F6-9F29-75557DCF1E56.jpeg

6BAC1D2B-C8F3-47C1-8189-B15D93D0330F.jpeg

2480B431-92DE-40F4-8E90-4D7854C6ECE6.jpeg

02AF408D-6586-4F99-B890-A96AF079741C.jpeg

C1F13962-2EB7-4EAC-ACFA-8AB8DEBAD067.jpeg

968B9A47-2204-4A8B-A63C-2D35917486D9.jpeg

8D3D3C59-B0A5-4EE6-BE8A-F1BC83B17C6E.jpeg

041E32A8-FE8A-4311-A50E-DAD7A8BA0193.jpeg

6503CFAC-51DF-4CE1-A3A3-77551D3DAAFF.jpeg

BF0FE6AE-912A-4928-9F91-BCCCDE88D507.jpeg

544E1706-6403-4A18-BF22-88AD80E62A60.jpeg

3FC51B9A-ED13-48D1-B8DA-631BD31B0098.jpeg

9B71B2E7-6D6B-42A4-9BF7-B2ACED5D6D2F.jpeg

C15FB9E4-D7AE-4186-B479-364A8829AA49.jpeg

F9BAE8B5-3CBC-4B96-9519-66F40474990C.jpeg

88FCDB20-5FDB-4A16-AA40-381A920447C3.jpeg

233AFE55-F92F-4A95-A086-DE9CCF563BE0.jpeg

A07A17CF-E225-48CB-AC8A-C4B225933496.jpeg

3E33BE3B-0871-4939-85A3-771A30429AE0.jpeg

36917FD4-3117-402F-9CBC-E29DB1C15CBE.jpeg

13737A85-BC87-4CA0-BAF9-A9F663153E89.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Here's three new purchases, from left to right:  Agave "Quasimodo" (supposedly an Americana mutant), Montana "Blue Sky" (ID in question), and Blue Glow mediopicta. 

20231118_145728AgaveQuasimodoBigSkyBlueGlowMediopicta.thumb.jpg.e40cc026bbcc5f0659d335909c5f0423.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/20/2023 at 2:50 PM, Merlyn said:

Here's three new purchases, from left to right:  Agave "Quasimodo" (supposedly an Americana mutant), Montana "Blue Sky" (ID in question), and Blue Glow mediopicta. 

20231118_145728AgaveQuasimodoBigSkyBlueGlowMediopicta.thumb.jpg.e40cc026bbcc5f0659d335909c5f0423.jpg

I bought the “blue sky”. From what Paul Spracklin says, and looking at iNaturalist, they appear to be a nice form of Agave gentryi. I bought mine at the beginning of summer and they have put on great growth. 

• Like 1

A few pictures from the Florida Mountains of New Mexico. The furthest east Agave palmeri grows. Also shots of Dasylirion wheeleri, Ferocactus wislizeni, etc.

1720F9A7-8587-4844-853F-C55DF0B6C6C8.thumb.jpeg.8a0337dcce70699e6665a8eaad4feace.jpeg13FE26C3-FEF4-4ED3-8759-EC7304DBC861.thumb.jpeg.9874613e5ad59c8a0e95db9434635b5c.jpegFD27E842-0596-448E-A0B3-18304AD7CDBD.thumb.jpeg.3b50fd5fea61f49c957fafe9e41b9039.jpegF2FDD8F2-FF93-45DF-9183-B9AA38630C05.thumb.jpeg.031d329c110ce4927d792a66851840c8.jpeg9B0102B6-252C-4B06-879E-74491A2B8B6D.thumb.jpeg.0977671463a88b11855ff0113768ed79.jpeg328C09DC-3FD2-4570-8D6E-AB26803A900A.thumb.jpeg.11a6d00ec46885547dc8b087c222b244.jpeg1CBCF6E4-1A8A-46B6-A62F-D4BE8C9EA519.thumb.jpeg.2cfb2b6a5bda09ff47eddc276fa7e1c3.jpeg4499FDDD-5502-45DF-98C0-1422F6626D1D.thumb.jpeg.e198c9d51eda9b2d9040a8bd85668d7d.jpeg2D188A91-FCE9-4C08-9553-2954A5392F3E.thumb.jpeg.970d12269de3be0a93befd222381fc7a.jpegC0509102-02B2-4489-9D4D-8E3BBC3487C5.thumb.jpeg.392ae65b547fc998d1f23a22f6925abf.jpegCCA93D8C-B29F-4653-90C4-34ED453979ED.thumb.jpeg.fce64ed1a907ee1b20dac4601f3f17fb.jpeg43DFC4A6-D1A5-46BE-9D9B-EF589207C374.thumb.jpeg.67d745bd4618dc5c7f4028e5c2efefc1.jpegD3A6739D-DC77-4B30-958F-49BBA8F0DCFE.thumb.jpeg.b86e995f2999b0d416cee78b390b85b2.jpegDE8B4BB9-1A6C-41F8-B37E-A147A72398C7.thumb.jpeg.5c216a010f3e758848acb32f591e0072.jpeg403836D6-ABCB-4FEC-8DBE-20B9175643E4.thumb.jpeg.198d97e0f14307f06156e06469bdcb8d.jpeg9F949C95-2ED0-4099-B933-6141A39AB6AD.thumb.jpeg.af55d0e67656e7e74b3721e6c3e1fc77.jpeg274EC30F-CF86-4EDC-BE91-AB17B7C15983.thumb.jpeg.0f9b5f51f1337987bf665b3fb31a6869.jpeg629A8E1C-8B80-4C05-92FF-306AEA52EC7F.thumb.jpeg.cf1f5cc48afd3059fb4065d5d0b6944c.jpeg661C89A9-6160-4DA5-994A-0898E518FCE5.thumb.jpeg.a9d7d0d9dc09fdcccf79d7e56727a704.jpeg2D886F1F-0370-44DD-9F38-C8D14E929B23.thumb.jpeg.9a3eb7b0f21cc12493d3c45da932530b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

I bought the “blue sky”. From what Paul Spracklin says, and looking at iNaturalist, they appear to be a nice form of Agave gentryi. I bought mine at the beginning of summer and they have put on great growth. 

Yeah i wasn't sure if it was a good purchase or not.  I read about the possible Gentryi link.  All my Gentryi and Asperrima have died of crown rot, usually after winter.  But Baccarat aka Blue Ocean aka Blue Sky (like the one I got from you) have been totally fine.  That makes me think it can't be a pure Gentryi, and must be at least a high percentage Montana.

8 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

So is it big sky or blue sky? I bought one that is basically a blue montana . I mean really really blue  . Mine was a pup off the mother plant and the mother was beautiful. Had to have it .  Here’s mine bad picture at night 

25486FF3-E2F1-45E9-8136-AB536B419097.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes, sorry “Big Sky” is one of several names I’ve seen applied. I bought a few small Agave montana in the spring from another seller. She would not give her source but they were mostly blue. Probably a month later Steve Super Garden started selling his “Big Sky”. I bought several from him, most are blue but I have 2 green mixed in. As they mature I can see both sources are extremely similar.  

There is also Agave ‘baccarat’ a purported hybrid of gentryi x montana , but also forms of Agave gentryi that look like a bridge to Agave montana. They may be hybrids as well, but someone more knowledgeable and experienced in that region says based on the broad distribution of them away from Agave montana he feels they are just a form of Agave gentryi. He also feels Agave ‘baccarat’ is just a form of gentryi. The more time I spend on iNaturalist looking at populations, the more I agree with him. 

Here are pictures from Stevesupergarden:

C79A5664-BE19-4B6F-9FF9-4A98C4850D9F.thumb.jpeg.820eb322c1c730ad40a3afc193bfd6bb.jpeg0858D565-652D-4AE7-B6B3-23DA44C77681.thumb.jpeg.de56e20753de1962ba577cd290d6cc5c.jpeg3366DE9F-597F-42B8-B48D-EB254A0031BA.thumb.jpeg.085d49ea0f0623f6cee951368760e40a.jpeg

Here are populations of similar Agave Gentryi , although greener:

4D4D0AA7-A459-4150-A6E2-8930134FCC60.thumb.jpeg.db1922a85a8f8dd641c71ac90f6c3ef8.jpeg998AB22B-2825-4821-895F-F1F35E00B50B.jpeg.f0daf03ac866c789e6a2cda7b1a51864.jpeg637073D6-17FD-4937-B8A0-F4E8ADE12CB0.thumb.jpeg.eb9b667fecb449b7064bde359880068d.jpeg

and one sourced through PDN as a seedling many years ago:EADA6121-4F94-425E-9D56-A9D2B72B4167.thumb.jpeg.fc89ab1e416aaa3d9ca6151db696d7e4.jpegC51E8075-5CB7-49BD-912F-156CF556E85E.thumb.jpeg.078fdd5822ffdf86b79bbf67a3ea0fc5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Yes, sorry “Big Sky” is one of several names I’ve seen applied. I bought a few small Agave montana in the spring from another seller. She would not give her source but they were mostly blue. Probably a month later Steve Super Garden started selling his “Big Sky”. I bought several from him, most are blue but I have 2 green mixed in. As they mature I can see both sources are extremely similar.  

There is also Agave ‘baccarat’ a purported hybrid of gentryi x montana , but also forms of Agave gentryi that look like a bridge to Agave montana. They may be hybrids as well, but someone more knowledgeable and experienced in that region says based on the broad distribution of them away from Agave montana he feels they are just a form of Agave gentryi. He also feels Agave ‘baccarat’ is just a form of gentryi. The more time I spend on iNaturalist looking at populations, the more I agree with him. 

Here are pictures from Stevesupergarden:

C79A5664-BE19-4B6F-9FF9-4A98C4850D9F.thumb.jpeg.820eb322c1c730ad40a3afc193bfd6bb.jpeg0858D565-652D-4AE7-B6B3-23DA44C77681.thumb.jpeg.de56e20753de1962ba577cd290d6cc5c.jpeg3366DE9F-597F-42B8-B48D-EB254A0031BA.thumb.jpeg.085d49ea0f0623f6cee951368760e40a.jpeg

Here are populations of similar Agave Gentryi , although greener:

4D4D0AA7-A459-4150-A6E2-8930134FCC60.thumb.jpeg.db1922a85a8f8dd641c71ac90f6c3ef8.jpeg998AB22B-2825-4821-895F-F1F35E00B50B.jpeg.f0daf03ac866c789e6a2cda7b1a51864.jpeg637073D6-17FD-4937-B8A0-F4E8ADE12CB0.thumb.jpeg.eb9b667fecb449b7064bde359880068d.jpeg

and one sourced through PDN as a seedling many years ago:EADA6121-4F94-425E-9D56-A9D2B72B4167.thumb.jpeg.fc89ab1e416aaa3d9ca6151db696d7e4.jpegC51E8075-5CB7-49BD-912F-156CF556E85E.thumb.jpeg.078fdd5822ffdf86b79bbf67a3ea0fc5.jpeg

The picture in the bed of the truck really shows its size! Was that you that dug it up and transplanted it?! 

On 10/30/2023 at 8:26 AM, tinman10101 said:

Been chasing after this one for a long time ... parryi variegated.   Not tissue culture either but a nice pup 

image.thumb.png.2e404d6d0c79505e0b05f2f3ad7698a1.png

image.thumb.png.b50cfbdd831734a7e0f35398467e473e.png

Variegated and blue parryi are quite popular in Arizona and both are easily obtained here. :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20231124_140735467.jpg

IMG_20231124_171154925.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year