• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm trees with thin trunks

Peachs

Outdoors, semi-shade and winter temperatures of -8°C

Pot next to wall, 140*100*30cm

The 30cm width can be the most decisive.  It can be 1 or more palm trees.  About 400 liters of soil.

Trunk maximum 25cm thick

Height, without limit.

Thanks!

If you want to minimize movement of the pot in winter I'd recommend Chamaedorea radicalis or microspadix.  Both can handle -8C temps and shade.  Radicalis is solitary while microspadix is a clumper with many stems.  If you prefer a fan palm you could try Acoelorrhaphe wrightii which is another clumper but unwanted stems can be trimmed off.  If you're not concerned about moving the pot pot several times a winter you could go with many other choices (like Veitchia, Ptychosperma, some Dypsis, etc.)

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Here's my contribution.  Likely Veitchia subdistichia.

IMG_20210709_081702247_HDR.jpg

Impossible to get!  At least in Spain

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

If you want to minimize movement of the pot in winter I'd recommend Chamaedorea radicalis or microspadix.  Both can handle -8C temps and shade.  Radicalis is solitary while microspadix is a clumper with many stems.  If you prefer a fan palm you could try Acoelorrhaphe wrightii which is another clumper but unwanted stems can be trimmed off.  If you're not concerned about moving the pot pot several times a winter you could go with many other choices (like Veitchia, Ptychosperma, some Dypsis, etc.)

The pot is permanent, built next to the wall, so always outside.  It must withstand hot and cold, direct sun from 2 meters high.  Perhaps C. Radicalis combine the "standard" variety with the arborescents to have different heights, what do you think?

• Upvote 2

Sounds like a good idea! :greenthumb:  C. radicalis has had no issues for me in my garden at 40C temperatures and even recovered from -13C  unprotected.  They are also more tolerant of sun exposure and drought - amazing how tough and attractive they are!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

33 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Sounds like a good idea! :greenthumb:  C. radicalis has had no issues for me in my garden at 40C temperatures and even recovered from -13C  unprotected.  They are also more tolerant of sun exposure and drought - amazing how tough and attractive they are!

Growth is fast?  The purchase size is less than 1 meter.

Microspadix do you think it is less tolerant?

7 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Here's my contribution.  Likely Veitchia subdistichia.

IMG_20210709_081702247_HDR.jpg

Beautiful but -8°C (17°F) is WAY too cold for that particular palm.  

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Another option, not a palm tree, is Musa Basjoo, it grows very fast although it would be destroyed by the cold for 4 months a year.

I've seen some thin trunked Sabals all around town lately and they are growing on me.  Viewing Palmpedia they could be Sabal pumos or rosei but really not sure.  Palmpedia says the trunks of either gets between 13-35 cm.   Sabal rosei is said to be more cold tolerant.