• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

7A Mule progress over years

Allen

8 hours ago, Allen said:

Give it another month for a beauty photo.    Yes it took a beating

Ok. How many new fronds did it push out already? 

53 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

Ok. How many new fronds did it push out already? 

one 2/3 out and one 1/3rd

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

• 1 month later...

June 1st --- Getting there........

mule.jpg

• Like 11

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

4 hours ago, Allen said:

June 1st --- Getting there........

mule.jpg

Looks like it's going to be great!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 1:37 PM, Little Tex said:

I disagree, from my experience Its much easier to secure pinnate fronds together.  Tying together washingtonia fronds can be a nightmare.

A robusta grows 2 dozen leaves a year.  Just H/C in early December and wrap until temps stay above 25°F

Currently sitting in Happy Valley looking at a mule palm in Tennessee.  I think that says a lot! Good job @Allen!20230602060119.thumb.jpg.9d301eb2e53a171772deae9b4d0e1176.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, jwitt said:

Currently sitting in Happy Valley looking at a mule palm in Tennessee.  I think that says a lot! Good job @Allen!20230602060119.thumb.jpg.9d301eb2e53a171772deae9b4d0e1176.jpg

Okay, we need a better picture of the Mule! 🤩

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update on growth to see how it does after almost severe defoliation and -1F winter (Protected).

mule progress 2023.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Other side today it's growing like a weed.  16'+.  In person it's really out full at this point

image.thumb.jpeg.94e3196e8193a394f39325042a01f5b8.jpeg

mule july 2023 7.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 12

That is a beautiful looking Mule Allen I can’t wait to get one for my backyard!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Allen said:

Other side today it's growing like a weed.  16'+.  In person it's really out full at this point

image.thumb.jpeg.94e3196e8193a394f39325042a01f5b8.jpeg

mule july 2023 7.jpg

Looks great Allen!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The beast has let loose

mule1.jpg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, MattInRaleigh said:

@Allen looks awesome! Have you decided at what size the mule palm will be too large to protect?

I've figured out if I cut all but a couple fronds it's not too bad to protect.  maybe 1 out of 10 winters might need no protection.  

• Like 2

Allen i bet by the time it matures, you might just leave it outside with the lights on during cold winters, since even acclimated mules that are used to this cold environment could definitely be very cold hardy, just like how trachycarpus fortunei in bulgaria was very hardy in 1990s compared to a regular t fortunei in florida for example.

• 3 weeks later...

I m in 7b, they sell them but they are real large.

People buy them and don’t protect. They fry.

Where can i get a small one, they seem to grow fast.

Great job!

Pat

(A pic of my Sabal palmetto)

IMG_4126.jpeg

Edited by Hardypalms
  • Like 2

Well I did a update video.  Going for second story palm now.  

Edited by Allen
  • Like 8

That's amazing!  Thanks for the update I love hearing about its progress. That trunk is huge with a nice lean!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

• 4 weeks later...

Moving to second story photos.  

thumbnail_IMG_4657.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the last photo of the year and it got some tiedowns because I was worried the lean and weight might uproot it.  it looked like it was leaning more than usual maybe due to a storm and recent wet.   

mule palm Oct 2023 (2).JPG

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just trunk wrapping this year unless it goes under 10F.  Will unwrap as warranted to dry as it takes only about 5 minutes on the bottom part.  No video as the bottom part was easy, on the ladder took a bit to tie up middle fronds.  Rest we will see just how cold hardy they are.

image.thumb.jpeg.641fc7cafb6434669916ff5d05b86d71.jpeg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 9

Congrats Allen, now I'm waiting till spring till I can get myself a 12-foot palm like a butia or windmill or a palmetto, a mule if I go crazy!

On 11/25/2023 at 11:36 AM, Allen said:

Just trunk wrapping this year unless it goes under 10F.  Will unwrap as warranted to dry as it takes only about 5 minutes on the bottom part.  No video as the bottom part was easy, on the ladder took a bit to tie up middle fronds.  Rest we will see just how cold hardy they are.

image.thumb.jpeg.641fc7cafb6434669916ff5d05b86d71.jpeg

Words can't even describe how beautiful it is.🌴🌴

• Like 2

I recently bought 3 seedlings which are being kept inside. I'm going to have to go back and rewatch all of Allen's videos. I figure Tennesse can have at least one more mule palm. 

• Like 3

Don't forget, I don't seem to be crazy, but that mule palm is really looking good today for next years planting! (palm bug joke)

7 hours ago, steve617 said:

I recently bought 3 seedlings which are being kept inside. I'm going to have to go back and rewatch all of Allen's videos. I figure Tennesse can have at least one more mule palm. 

Sounds good to me as long as you plant some hardier stuff close to it.

BTW I took off the wrap for now as the next 10 days are looking pretty good.  Travel makes wrapping palms a little more guesswork.   Last night was 21F and didn't seem to hurt any fronds.

Edited by Allen

45 minutes ago, Allen said:

Sounds good to me as long as you plant some hardier stuff close to it

80% safe for your zone, 20% roll the dice

Or you can do 60/40 like me and be stressed all winter lol

• Like 2

For anyone interested here is tentative plan that may save 2 main fronds/spear when it gets colder.   Look in the pic and you will see a 8 foot pole that is wrapped in minis and a curved top.  It is set in the boot of a frond about 10' up.  The top of that is about 18' ..  Also See the plastic fence in the photo?  It is reachable by ladder.

Step one wrap plastic fence with mini lights and clip frost cloth around it.

Step 2 - Take a pole and push fence up until it touches top curve

Step 3 - take a pole and lay a 10' round planket over top of palm and pull down and cinch.

thumbnail_IMG_4802.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2

I saw this video recommended to me on YouTube and I was like "this guy is definitely on palmtalk" lol

that mule looks amazing and it looks to be growing fast!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Took the protection off for now.  So far only needed to wrap it during this crazy -6F cold.  I wrapped one more week earlier that was not needed while on vacation.  Had to cut a few fronds to do the more extreme protection.  Protection consists of a 8' pole wrapped in mini lights with a round pvc top stuck in petiole base about 10' up so it reaches to 18', palm wrapped in 500 mini lights, then frost cloth, then a 12x20 moving blanket.  Top covered with a cover designed for fountains.  I use a long pole to raise the covers over the top.  Lower lights on thermocube, upper lights running all the time it was turned on.  Looks a little funky because three center fronds tied together but fully green.  Off to a good start for Jan.  Expect I may have to wrap the easier method of just frost cloth 1-2 more times. 

Mule wrap Jan 2024.jpg

Mule jan 2024.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Allen said:

Took the protection off for now.  So far only needed to wrap it during this crazy -6F cold.  I wrapped one more week earlier that was not needed while on vacation.  Had to cut a few fronds to do the more extreme protection.  Protection consists of a 8' pole wrapped in mini lights with a round pvc top stuck in petiole base about 10' up so it reaches to 18', palm wrapped in 500 mini lights, then frost cloth, then a 12x20 moving blanket.  Top covered with a cover designed for fountains.  I use a long pole to raise the covers over the top.  Lower lights on thermocube, upper lights running all the time it was turned on.  Looks a little funky because three center fronds tied together but fully green.  Off to a good start for Jan.  Expect I may have to wrap the easier method of just frost cloth 1-2 more times. 

Mule wrap Jan 2024.jpg

Mule jan 2024.jpg

At what height are you going to let that palm go ? Grows pretty fast.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

At what height are you going to let that palm go ? Grows pretty fast.  

I pretty much hear that every year so you never know.  Some years here it might get by without even protecting it.  I mean worst case I can protect the trunk and spears easy.    I have a pretty waggy palm outgrowing the pot slated to replace it.

• Like 1

Your palms always looking GREAT!  Especially the many taller (10’ plus in height).  What technique do you use to tie the fronds together before cold protection wrapping on those tall palms, and the size of your ladder?  Thx!

1 hour ago, Bobwa said:

Your palms always looking GREAT!  Especially the many taller (10’ plus in height).  What technique do you use to tie the fronds together before cold protection wrapping on those tall palms, and the size of your ladder?  Thx!

Take a 10' piece of tree tie rope, tie onto one frond then go around frond on opposite side andpull together and wrap rope till secure and keep adding single fronds as you loop around.  I need a video it's not too hard when you've done it.  The ladder is in the background a 10' little giant and a 4' step platform.

Edited by Allen
  • Upvote 1