• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Could use some help ID'ing several Pinangas

Justin

I keep a database of everything I've planted, and realized the other day that my description for several of the Pinangas was insufficient, such that I can't remember what Pinangas in one part of my garden are what.  I'm hoping y'all can help me with the IDs.  Here's what I planted, for which I'm not certain on the IDs:

• Pinanga glaucescens
  • Pinanga maculata
  • Pinanga plaustris
  • Pinanga philippensis
  • Pinanga philippensis
  • Pinanga speciosa
  • Pinanga wataniana

Without further adieu, I am 99% sure this is the Pinanga speciosa:

DSC00727.jpg

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Here are three of them, the tall solitary one on the left, and the two clumpers on either side of the path.

DSC00729.jpg

• Like 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Closer picture of the two clumpers.

DSC00730.jpg

• Like 1

Reverse angle, showing a wider view of the entire area

DSC00758.jpg

• Upvote 1

Last angle, showing Pinanga caesia on the left, one of the unknown Pinangas behind it (tough to see, but tallest culm died - you can see that in the photo, along with some opening fronds from other culms).

DSC00763.jpg

• Upvote 1

I grow P. maculata and P. philippinensis, but can't make out a dead ringer for either of them from your photos.  **Maybe** the solitary palm in photo #2 is P. maculata, but I am not sure about that.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I have maculata, philippinensis, and speciosa planted out.  I'm not at all familiar with the others. The first photo could be of a small speciosa (solitary with purple crownshaft). in the second photo, I agree with Kim that the tall, solitary one on the left looks a lot like maculata. The leaflet tips with several lobes are right. In the same pic, the clumper on the right with very narrow leaflets looks a lot like philippinensis. The light green, almost yellowish, color matches mine, too.

• Like 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Thank you both.  Any other guesses/suggestions out there?