• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Bermudana

Paradise Found

Here is my one and only Sabal.  I have, Sabal Bermudana has been pretty hardy and slow for me (one leaf a year). Growing in mostly shade to help protect from deep freezes.  16F had minor damage on one frond. Spear undamaged. 

People in cooler climate might want to try this one too.  Anyone else growing this extra big leaf Sabal and your thoughts on growing this palm? How much water do they need in fast draining soil? I water once a week about 5 gallon.  New leaf coming out now. 

IMG-1130.JPG

IMG-1127.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Here is my one and only Sabal.  I have, Sabal Bermudana has been pretty hardy and slow for me (one leaf a year). Growing in mostly shade to help protect from deep freezes.  16F had minor damage on one frond. Spear undamaged. 

People in cooler climate might want to try this one too.  Anyone else growing this extra big leaf Sabal and your thoughts on growing this palm? How much water do they need in fast draining soil? I water once a week about 5 gallon.  New leaf coming out now. 

IMG-1130.JPG

IMG-1127.JPG

Is that aucuba japonica behind it, that's one of my favorite evergreen plants.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Emman said:

Is that aucuba japonica behind it, that's one of my favorite evergreen plants.

Yes that is Aucuba Japonica been there a long time. I have one even bigger over my head on the east side of house. 

I had seed, it didn’t germinate so no Bermudanas for me. I would probably water twice per week though. I hit my causiarums at least 3x week but they’re in full sun. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Chester B said:

I had seed, it didn’t germinate so no Bermudanas for me. I would probably water twice per week though. I hit my causiarums at least 3x week but they’re in full sun. 

Sounds good will water twice a week on the Bermudana.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I have two, what were labeled 1G S. Bermudanas and they just went in the ground recently (month ago, and three months ago).  They have put out at least 1-2 spears since then but they get a good amount of water.  One is out in the yard, gets hit by the sprinklers, the other in the retaining wall and gets water from our foundation watering drip line, so it's nearly always wet.  Seems very happy.. can't wait to see these grow up!

• Like 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

2 hours ago, tlow said:

I have two, what were labeled 1G S. Bermudanas and they just went in the ground recently (month ago, and three months ago).  They have put out at least 1-2 spears since then but they get a good amount of water.  One is out in the yard, gets hit by the sprinklers, the other in the retaining wall and gets water from our foundation watering drip line, so it's nearly always wet.  Seems very happy.. can't wait to see these grow up!

Thanks Tlow, for telling me your watering regiment really appreciate how they are doing in hot Texas. I've seen some adults ones in Cali 10 years ago and have wanted one every since. The leaves on these are pretty big. So your going to love them. Some day like to see a photo of yours.

Mines about a 5gallon now.  I fertilize and put a layer of manure mulch so its all ready to go for summer. 

IMG-1245.JPG

• Like 2

Here is my monster S. bermudana. Working on its 2nd spear for the year. I plan on putting a hillbilly greenhouse (water jug with the bottom cut out) on it this winter while it’s still small. 

I also have S. palmetto in the ground (2nd frond for the year almost open) and S. minor (working on its 3rd frond). 

09BA88EF-C868-4FA7-B932-09726C6766A4.jpeg

• Like 2

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

Dan, way to go on all three of your Sabals.  Sounds like they are doing good. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tlow said:

Here is mine which is up against the house... leave should go full palmate soon enough..IMG_20210710_072153.thumb.JPG.387787bdf4f0089760bc173df82201e8.JPGIMG_20210710_072201.thumb.JPG.a8e5b6e09bc261894a5c11048613a0fa.JPG

Nice I like to see update on yours as it grow over the years. Will outgrow mine in no time maybe even by the end of summer. ;)