• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule palms

4 hours ago, Scott W said:

Mule palms, while fruit and seed may develop, is primarily known to be infertile.  However,  the male pollen is fertile and could be used to back cross back to another Butia.

Frankenstein Palms

Meh…. This is questionable. If it was  the case we would see a lot of back crosses :interesting:

Edited by RJ

9 hours ago, RJ said:

Meh…. This is questionable. If it was  the case we would see a lot of back crosses :interesting:

Probably not, as the process of making the mule is pretty arduous itself, so why go through all the work just to produce a hybrid palm that is going to look more like Butia.  Besides, the point of the Mule palm was to produce a palm that has cold hardy characteristics and that "looks" more tropical.

With that...I can only state what I've read through my research as as I head towards doing my own experimentation.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scott W said:

Probably not, as the process of making the mule is pretty arduous itself, so why go through all the work just to produce a hybrid palm that is going to look more like Butia.  Besides, the point of the Mule palm was to produce a palm that has cold hardy characteristics and that "looks" more tropical.

With that...I can only state what I've read through my research as as I head towards doing my own experimentation.  

I'm planning on trying mule pollen on a Butia next year.  TBD on how successful I will be.  

I've tried Butia pollen on a mule with no luck.

Best case the offspring are somewhat between a mule and Butia in looks, and are fast growing and cold hardy.   Worst case they are slow growing, look just like Butia and die at 22F...

In almost all cases if a mule palm sets seeds, they are not viable. But I've heard it has happened - true or not? Still, my bet is if you cut the seeds open you will find no embryo inside.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

From what I've witnessed on mine so far is they won't set seed but I know the male pollen could be used on other Syagrus and Butia. I have a Cocoqueen that's holding lots of seed right now. Been curious so see if they're viable. If not I might just cut the flowers off in the future. 

15 hours ago, Scott W said:

I’ve got two mule back grosses from patrix. These are from the pollen of two mutant mules that dr. Wilcox produced in HBG . Gary Lavine has two F2 mules that he has grown from seed from the HBG , Patrix got the pollen from these mules and has back crossed them . The result is my two yatay x bq mule. He has made a few other iirc . Bjxbq as well. I think I have one of these and they’re quite variable. I’ll have to look at my paperwork. Patrix tried to backcross mules from many of Dicks giant mules with no luck. 

Edited by RJ

My big one produces buckets of infertile seed.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 years later...

My ~20-foot mule palm (xButiagrus nabonnandii) decided it was finally time to bloom! Too bad the seeds will probably be infertile.

MulePalmInflorescence2024.png

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Hillizard said:

My ~20-foot mule palm (xButiagrus nabonnandii) decided it was finally time to bloom! Too bad the seeds will probably be infertile.

MulePalmInflorescence2024.png

Can we get a wider shot of that 20 ft blooming Mule please!?!

Also, what color is the base of the trunk/boots BURGUNDY or GREEN???

I am at Orlando’s evermore resort. Tons of mules. Most in seed. Was always told they were mules cause they can’t reproduce same as the equestrian variety. Counterintuitive to other crosses I’ve seen.   

• Like 1

Mule palms are usually sterile, so it's rare for them to set seeds. If they did, there's a chance they could be viable, but it's not a guarantee. You could try planting a few and see if they germinate, but don't get your hopes too high.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dwarf Fan said:

Can we get a wider shot of that 20 ft blooming Mule please!?!

Also, what color is the base of the trunk/boots BURGUNDY or GREEN???

My mule palm surrounded by other plants, so it's not possible to get a clear shot. Hope these images answer some of your questions!😉 At this stage of growth, there is no clear trunk, but the boots definitely turn burgundy in time. I got this palm as a seedling, along with two others, from Phil at Jungle Music years ago. 

MulePalm1.png

MulePalm2.png

MulePalm3.png

MulePalm4.png

• Like 5

On 8/8/2024 at 12:27 PM, Hillizard said:

My mule palm surrounded by other plants, so it's not possible to get a clear shot. Hope these images answer some of your questions!😉 At this stage of growth, there is no clear trunk, but the boots definitely turn burgundy in time. I got this palm as a seedling, along with two others, from Phil at Jungle Music years ago. 

MulePalm3.png

MulePalm4.png

Hillizard, YES thank you it is nice to keep trying to flesh out this hypothesis about Mule characteristics and boot/petiole color, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words! 🙌

BTW, I noticed you up voted my post in the thread “Mule palm - How can I tell if it's leaning towards Buti or Syagrus?” :greenthumb:
https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/81234-mule-palm-how-can-i-tell-if-its-leaning-towards-buti-or-syagrus/

In the video referenced Davis Casella discusses his findings that indicate a Mule with a BURGUNDY trunk that produces Yellow Inflorescence leans more Butia and a GREEN trunk Mule that produces Red Inflorescence leans more Queen.

So if this is the case your Mule should follow our theoretical “Rule of Thumb”:

BURGUNDY petiole with BURGUNDY boots (& YELLOW Inflorescence) = THICKER Trunk & THICKER leaflets.

More like this:

image.jpeg.b220cbb1dbf1d707202e762b5348cd92.jpeg

NOT like this:

image.jpeg.ca7c208887620efcb55c306b9057d098.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 10:27 AM, Hillizard said:

MulePalm1.png

MulePalm2.png

MulePalm3.png

MulePalm4.png

Seeds are forming on my mule palm infructescence now, and the local honey bees seem very interested in whatever sap is being produced during this process. Later on, I'll probably put the seeds in a big community pot, although I understand the embryos are usually nonviable.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2024 at 8:23 PM, Hillizard said:

Seeds are forming on my mule palm infructescence now, and the local honey bees seem very interested in whatever sap is being produced during this process. Later on, I'll probably put the seeds in a big community pot, although I understand the embryos are usually nonviable.

You can save yourself the time, space, and effort by sacrificing a few seeds by cutting them open to check for endosperm and embryo.  A lot of Butiagrus seeds will just be solid all the way through (called “stones”), some will have endosperm with no embryo, and every great once in a while you can find one that produces the occasional good seed. 

• Like 1

Fruits are still delicious.  😛

On 8/16/2024 at 7:23 PM, Hillizard said:

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

18 hours ago, Bigfish said:

You can save yourself the time, space, and effort by sacrificing a few seeds by cutting them open to check for endosperm and embryo.  A lot of Butiagrus seeds will just be solid all the way through (called “stones”), some will have endosperm with no embryo, and every great once in a while you can find one that produces the occasional good seed. 

Thanks for the suggestion Bigfish. I will definitely do that once the seeds are fully developed. 😉

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 8:23 PM, Hillizard said:

On the mule I had at my old house I found that the seed appeared to start forming like in your video then the palm, over the course of several weeks, just did a mass abortion and all dropped off eventually.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2024 at 10:27 AM, Hillizard said:

MulePalm1.png

MulePalm2.png

MulePalm3.png

MulePalm4.png

Fruits are developing nicely on my mule palm... too bad most of them are probably sterile!

20240907_190808.jpg

20240907_190821.jpg