• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm weevil and sistemic insecticides

Tomas

I recently learned a new thing, which I probably should have known for a long time, and that is that systemic pesticides are distributed inside the whole plant, but this movement for the vast majority of active substances occurs only in the acropetal sense, i.e. in the direction from below up. This fact could be fundamental in the use of systemic insecticides in foliar treatment in the fight against palm weevils which are known to attack the heart and even the stem of the palms. The question is at what depth the insecticide sprayed on the leaves can penetrate? Personally I am not in favor of irrigation treatment to the roots, which involves much higher costs and pollution. 

I recently discovered an insecticide based on the active substance spirotetramat (Movento 48 SC by Bayer) which has both acripetal and basipetal diffusion (up and down), but there is no use for palm weevil.
I would be interested to know any opinion or suggestion about this problem.

Thanks

Tomas

• Like 1

https://www.bugspraycart.com/insecticide/liquid/dominion-2l-termiticide-insecticide/

Here is a systemic termiticide (dominion) that seems to have long lasting effects.  5 Years in the soil.  They also recommend topical sprays (  PT-Cykick and Cypermethrin )which repel bark beetles.  I think they might repel weevils ( a type of beetle) as well.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

The best way to treat large palms for weevils is injection. The equipment is costly, but so precise and clean. The most effective product is Emamectin benzoate, this is a true systemic and will absolutely kill weevils feeding on the palm. The best injection systems I have seen so far are made by arbor jet.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 2:28 PM, Tomas said:

I recently learned a new thing, which I probably should have known for a long time, and that is that systemic pesticides are distributed inside the whole plant, but this movement for the vast majority of active substances occurs only in the acropetal sense, i.e. in the direction from below up. This fact could be fundamental in the use of systemic insecticides in foliar treatment in the fight against palm weevils which are known to attack the heart and even the stem of the palms. The question is at what depth the insecticide sprayed on the leaves can penetrate? Personally I am not in favor of irrigation treatment to the roots, which involves much higher costs and pollution. 

I recently discovered an insecticide based on the active substance spirotetramat (Movento 48 SC by Bayer) which has both acripetal and basipetal diffusion (up and down), but there is no use for palm weevil.
I would be interested to know any opinion or suggestion about this problem.

Thanks

Tomas

Spaniards use acetamiprid at 15 gr per 100 lt water.

The use of injectors on palms might be an effective way to deliver an insecticide but in my experience, leaves an unsightly dead spot on the trunk.  On palms where the root boss is exposed, like many Phoenix, can the injection be made into the roots?

• Like 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

3 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

The use of injectors on palms might be an effective way to deliver an insecticide but in my experience, leaves an unsightly dead spot on the trunk.  On palms where the root boss is exposed, like many Phoenix, can the injection be made into the roots?

Tetrahydrofurfuryl alcohol mixed at a 50-50 rate with 10% imidacloprid is known to travel super fast through the roots via injection of the solution directly in to the root system. It is a patented method in the USA.

On 11/5/2021 at 3:16 AM, TaylorPlantHunter said:

The best way to treat large palms for weevils is injection. The equipment is costly, but so precise and clean. The most effective product is Emamectin benzoate, this is a true systemic and will absolutely kill weevils feeding on the palm. The best injection systems I have seen so far are made by arbor jet.

My palms are still small, there are only few with stem and it is easy to spray the leaves, but the endotherapy could be THE solution I think in my future. 

Emamectin benzoate is available in Europe, but the equipment for endotherapy is difficult to locate, I could even not get the idea about the cost.

As far as I know, the stem of a palm doesn't heal, so could the hole drilled for the injection be reused?

Tomas

On 11/5/2021 at 10:00 AM, Phoenikakias said:

Spaniards use acetamiprid at 15 gr per 100 lt water.

Hi Phonikakis,

still the same, a systemic insecticide that works from bottom up

Can someone provide a supplier to buy some of these palm weevil treatments please - to deliver in Portugal (maybe from Spain?):)

I like the idea of doing a root treatment/prevention for my palms. I already have imidicloprid, having bought a large supply before it was withdrawn from sale, but would like another treatment that is ingested into the palm a different way. This is also on top of cayenne pepper and mothball applications.

4 hours ago, Tomas said:

Hi Phonikakis,

still the same, a systemic insecticide that works from bottom up

That an insecticide is not permitted YET for use against the rpw, does not mean, that it is unsuitable to this purpose... In other countries same pesticide may have already obtained a permission for application on pams. Take for example the Phosmet.  It is already specially  permitted for palms in Spain but not in Greece or France. Both  Phosmet and Acetamiprid are recommended to be applied in double of the regular dosis for the palms.  Same case for Imidacloprid.  Based on this experience, I would not be surprised, if Movento had to be used also in double dosage...