• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ultimate Cold Hardy Grower

SALOttawa

This may be old news but, if you haven’t seen it, check out the Green Dragan on YouTube! This guy is suuuuuuuper amazing!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SALOttawa said:

He is. I can’t believe the amount of effort he puts in, but the results are incredible!

The change from a winter view of his yard to a summer view is almost hard to accept lol. Incredible is right

• Like 1

Very impressive, and not to downplay his work but check out Palmy a zahrady. In the mountains of the Czech Republic. He has turned it into a Nursery/Protection business.

AAB090F8-C8BC-456B-81F0-8D1803F0A5D4.jpeg

F65907F5-F365-4372-B39A-2D16C3B0F017.jpeg

095966AD-4A38-4B67-911A-24B7592A647C.jpeg

60EB107D-7A65-48D1-84AD-7BF98637AD59.jpeg

C5DF5ACA-7FE0-4EE7-9D85-69E5CE126348.jpeg

CD25AB08-2D9B-407D-8435-E04E0CC2E9BB.jpeg

D92ABD48-63F2-4535-AD89-B223B8323455.jpeg

43D6BD42-546B-45A0-84E7-3CA2FAE68F26.jpeg

• Like 4

Over the top. Inventive and I appreciate the work involved, but I won't turn my front yard into a shantytown.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You might if you lived where he does, or where I do hahaha. I couldn’t go that far though either. Right now I have one I am trying to winter in the ground. If it works will do more but I think five would be my max.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Over the top. Inventive and I appreciate the work involved, but I won't turn my front yard into a shantytown.

He's so Canadian. He said that pedestrians could brush up against your plants so don't plant spiky things like agave. That's precisely the reason I would plant spiky things like agave - and maybe a poison ivy or two...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SALOttawa said:

You might if you lived where he does, or where I do hahaha. I couldn’t go that far though either. Right now I have one I am trying to winter in the ground. If it works will do more but I think five would be my max.

Ya. I'd be concerned about anchoring them properly. Winds here can be vicious with wind blown debris. Any hobby has it's associated expenses I guess.

I think it was last Friday night, the temperature plummeted and we got this crazy wind and blizzard! We were in bed and we could hear the wind through our balcony roaring like a train and then we heard a boom. I was sure my palm box had blown away, but it ended up being our stack of wooden muskoka chairs that blew over! I was sure the box would be gone by morning because I only staked it with 18 inch wooden stakes. Thankfully it was still there the next morning. We are supposed to get some above freezing temperatures this week so I am going to tie it down!

DB0AE02E-F8A6-4574-9F50-AC2F764F78B4.jpeg

BA218400-7735-4D53-9D1C-BACA891E937E.jpeg

• Like 3

Beautiful way to protect the palms....reminds me of

a bunch of small Crystal palaces...these should be safe

from burning down like all those did. :crying:

Wow.   Just...wow.  He must be young (or retired and a ton of free time lol).   I can't imagine going to those lengths...   I'll do a little protection, but that is amazingly extreme.  Stylish design though.   Thank goodness for Zone 8 lol.

On 12/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, Las Palmas Norte said:

Cool man.  Good thing this thread is about his garden, not yours.  He's probably got a better spread than you do.  

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Cool man.  Good thing this thread is about his garden, not yours.  He's probably got a better spread than you do.  

lol

16 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

I was on a half acre and couldn't bring myself to build more than one shelter. That's the nice thing about exotic gardening, there's no hard and fast rules.

I got a couple acres out in the country.  I haven't needed to build any shelters yet, but when I do it won't bother me because no one ever sees my property.  I might feel different if I lived in town. 

• Like 1

Same here Jessie for a couple years I over wintered my CIDP ...and Mule Palm...once their to big that's it.let em go..see what happens!

17 minutes ago, Hutch said:

Same here Jessie for a couple years I over wintered my CIDP ...and Mule Palm...once their to big that's it.let em go..see what happens!

That's my plan as well for my mule.  And once my hybrids get to probably 15 gal size they'll go in the grown and same thing.