• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

More of the usual ( but with model )

WSimpson

Untitled.

My biggest Birmingham :
Untitled.

My second biggest Birmingham :
Untitled.

Untitled.

• Winston-Salem
    Ten year lows: 19F 20F 5F 4F 15F 7F 8F 14F 19F 16F(2021)
    10 Year Average Winter Lowest Low 12.7F ; 30 Year 12.36F 
    Profession:Trachy Defiberer and Palm Spear Puller (free estimates)

invisible.gif
    1.gif
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I guess my ethical  score will go down  , or whatever that score is  ? 

But I did show , for the first time  , my second largest Birmingham , which is as old as my largest Birmingham ,  but it was run over by a car and it was stunted by 2 years , at least , compared to my biggest Birmingham . .  It's seeding now ,  as is the bigger one . 

I moved it back away from the driveway  a little so hopefully it won't have any issues in the future .

Will

Oh , and she's just in the pictures for scale .

Edited by Will Simpson

If Ty Ty nursery can use models I guess Will can too!  Looks like they quit selling palms.  I bought my first palm via the USPS from them 20 years ago.  I ordered a Butia and they sent me a Sabal palmetto by mistake.  They did send the Butia and let me keep the palmetto.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

I'm guessing that's a daughter, she looks too young to be a wife.  

My wife's a model and I proudly support her, so I've kinda got plugged into the modelling scene because of her.  So if she's an aspiring model, I would say support her and encourage her.  Modelling is a big part of what helped my wife overcome post-partum depression, and it gives her drive to live a healthy, active lifestyle.  She loves getting to travel for it, as well.  

Also it does help add scale, as it's often hard to tell the size of a palm from a photo.  That biggest Birmingham for example.  Beauty.  I'd love to have some great big Sabal's here.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

In today's lingo: weird flex but ok :P

fwiw, I'll always remember TyTy for their strange ads.

Oh and nice palms! 

• Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Dude I thought that guy in the background was holding a gun :lol:

• Like 3

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

9 minutes ago, Xerarch said:

Dude I thought that guy in the background was holding a gun :lol:

The black glove and stance made me do a double take.

I'm always on the look out for interesting things in the backgrounds of photos.

• Like 3

Haha... you guys need to get some shooting instruction.  And if he's shooting a gun like that, then so does he.  

• Like 2

Hate to be the party pooper but the aspect ratio is super vertical on these so scale is challenging.  Unless that’s just my browser and the rest of you don’t notice it.

Id like to see a properly scaled photo of the second Birmingham you describe.  And also how tall is the woman in the photos?  I have one in my lawn and it’s so damn tiny.  Fingers crossed it grows up to be like yours.

Aspect ratio is fine.   The first birmingham pic is more discernable because the human is standing right up against the trunk.  Second pic, she is a few feet forward, so that makes it a little tricky, as you don't know how far in front of the palm she actually is.  However, the fronds still look very large, relative to the human, so you still get a very good idea.  

5 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Haha... you guys need to get some shooting instruction.  And if he's shooting a gun like that, then so does he.  

Thought he might be giving instructions.

1 hour ago, ahosey01 said:

Hate to be the party pooper but the aspect ratio is super vertical on these so scale is challenging.  Unless that’s just my browser and the rest of you don’t notice it.

Id like to see a properly scaled photo of the second Birmingham you describe.  And also how tall is the woman in the photos?  I have one in my lawn and it’s so damn tiny.  Fingers crossed it grows up to be like yours.

Are we talking about a palm here?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Aspect ratio is fine.   The first birmingham pic is more discernable because the human is standing right up against the trunk.  Second pic, she is a few feet forward, so that makes it a little tricky, as you don't know how far in front of the palm she actually is.  However, the fronds still look very large, relative to the human, so you still get a very good idea.  

That's perspective, not aspect ratio.

My aspect ratio is off as well but corrects once I open it.

6 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

The photos look fine on my computer but on my phone they are stretched vertically. If you click on them they open up and look normal.  

That first Birmingham is a beast. Love it. 

3 hours ago, Manalto said:

This worked.

How many giant Birminghams do you have @Will Simpson and how old are these?

6 hours ago, Manalto said:

I see.  I thought he was saying that it's hard to determine the scale(size of the model compared to the plant) because the pic is in portrait mode rather than landscape.   I didn't realize that the pic wasn't displaying properly, as it looks fine on my computer.  

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

Dude she's like 16.  Don't be a creep. 

Dude,  No one’s creeping.!  I have a daughter her age!  Just thought it was clever!  Why don’t you worry about something that matters?  Geez!  

He's not selling his palms, there is no marketing, there's nothing "clever" about it.  And I sure hope you wouldn't make a comment like that in front of her, or her dad. 

And you Damn sure wouldn't talk to me like that in person.  

Perhaps, "sorry, didn't mean to come across that way" would have been a more appropriate response, than to give me attitude.  You just showed us who you truly are.  You're like my 15 year old son, who when he gets caught doing something nefarious, gets angry at me for catching him, rather than realizing that he was in the wrong.  

Back to Palm-talk.....

Will how long has that palmetto been in the ground?  Did you acquire it locally?  I've lived in NC a couple times, I know the summers are nice and hot.  I expect they do pretty well up there pending any winter setbacks?  

10 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

He's not selling his palms, there is no marketing, there's nothing "clever" about it.  And I sure hope you wouldn't make a comment like that in front of her, or her dad. 

And you Damn sure wouldn't talk to me like that in person.  

Perhaps, "sorry, didn't mean to come across that way" would have been a more appropriate response, than to give me attitude.  You just showed us who you truly are.  You're like my 15 year old son, who when he gets caught doing something nefarious, gets angry at me for catching him, rather than realizing that he was in the wrong.  

Back to Palm-talk.....

Will how long has that palmetto been in the ground?  Did you acquire it locally?  I've lived in NC a couple times, I know the summers are nice and hot.  I expect they do pretty well up there pending any winter setbacks?  

What the hell?

Keep this “you wouldn’t do it in person” kind of reaction off PT.  Most of the people on here don’t overthink the internet.  You are taking a palm forum way too seriously.

15 hours ago, jimmyt said:

Dude,  No one’s creeping.!  I have a daughter her age!  Just thought it was clever!  Why don’t you worry about something that matters?  Geez!  

Look closer...is that your daughter...I bet if it was you would feel differently.

What the hell is right.

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

I would love to get some life-size garden statues.  They're just so expensive, and hard to find. 

Learn to get handy with a chainsaw and make your own tikis.  You have lots of big trees on your property right?  Lots of material to practice on!

2 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

I would love to get some life-size garden statues.  They're just so expensive, and hard to find. 

I got that statue some 20 years ago for $79.00/ three years later it was double that price.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

Learn to get handy with a chainsaw and make your own tikis.  You have lots of big trees on your property right?  Lots of material to practice on!

Great idea, not sure why I hadn't thought of that!

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

I got that statue some 20 years ago for $79.00/ three years later it was double that price.  

Good score.  

• Like 1

Yep ..., yard statues are ridiculously over priced.....i throw old ovens and crap all over my yard not sure it looks good....but hey...its something to break up the greenery!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/14/2021 at 11:22 PM, ahosey01 said:

And also how tall is the woman in the photos?  I have one in my lawn and it’s so damn tiny.

I know, tall women are so hard to find by these days! Frickin expensive too!
:P

• Like 1