• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bulgarian windmill palm hardiness

Jason gillies

Hi, everyone I have awesome news my windmill palm has survived -32 with shelter from the wind Praise the Lord!!!! I hope everyone has joy everlasting and peace that surpasses all understanding god bless , JasonIMG_0785.thumb.jpeg.fb07e89414029250446fab3b789a49ab.jpegIMG_0786.thumb.jpeg.a5cc4a9b007a6c42ab0ee38cb2c7e7f8.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks a little crispy to me unfortunately 

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

How long ago after the event was this picture taken? This sounds awesome but also a bit hard to believe. Was there any heat source?

Edited by Swolte

The true outcome will be more obvious in the coming months, perhaps a bit sooner. Happy new year to you too.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Swolte said:

How long ago after the event was this picture taken? This sounds awesome but also a bit hard to believe. Was there any heat source?

There was no heat source and I checked on it this morning at the fronds are flexible the picture was taken yesterday and the event happened 4 days ago was -32 Celsius 

• Like 1

Seriously good luck,  but -25F with no heat is not a good idea at all.   0F is probably death if it got lower than that in enclosure

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

If it was March now, then you could well be counting your chickens. Unfortunately we aren't even into January yet and the worst of winter is probably yet to come. You're going to have to leave that protection on there for at least another 2 months, possibly 3 months even. Hopefully it will protect against the -32C you have forecast next week again with a daytime high of -26C.

Looking at the condition of that palm right now, I am sceptical that it will survive to mid-January even. However, I obviously wish you the best of luck, since you're going to need it! No palm will take 3-4 months solid of freezing temps. The highest I can see in your forecast is -9C. Any idea how cold it is inside the little palm house, or how cold it got in there during the -32C night? I would avoid taking that lid off, period, or the temperature inside will equalise with the outdoor temp.

Dry-summer Oceanic / Warm summer Med (Csb) - 9a

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

I'm almost in shock here...Alberta...should have left it in a pot moved it in and out...damn thing is freezing to death...not trying to be mean I give you it for having the enthusiasm!

• Like 1

Plant more seeds for future years when your winters will be more accommodating for these Asiatic exotics (as they eventually die from heat stroke in more southern climes).

They are easy from seed.

-32, is that Celcius or Fahrenheit?, not that I think it makes much of a difference, that sounds seriously  COLD. You guys are a hardy breed.

G'd bless and Happy New Year!

Edited by oasis371

Any news and also photographic evidence from your palm @Jason gillies?

Also, excuse my ignorance, by  Bulgarian windmill palm you mean that you've secured the seed from a Bulgarian Trachycarpus fortunei or for some other reason?

19 hours ago, Getta Robo said:

Any news and also photographic evidence from your palm @Jason gillies?

Also, excuse my ignorance, by  Bulgarian windmill palm you mean that you've secured the seed from a Bulgarian Trachycarpus fortunei or for some other reason?

It is a selection along with "Plovdiv" sold by a Bulgarian nursery (palmi.bg) and claimed to have a legendary coldhardiness (-21 C) which has never been replicated as far as I know.  But even that would not be enough for Jason..

Edited by Flow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Flow said:

It is a selection along with "Plovdiv" sold by a Bulgarian nursery (palmi.bg) and claimed to have a legendary coldhardiness (-21 C) which has never been replicated as far as I know.  But even that would not be enough for Jason..

Basically this Bulgarian Trachy myth started when it had been reported to take down to -18°C and some geniuses reported that news here in the US as Fahrenheit.  Thus I believe a Bulgarian will still be damaged under 5F and die under 0F in general terms.  

• Like 3

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

26 minutes ago, Allen said:

Basically this Bulgarian Trachy myth started when it had been reported to take down to -18°C and some geniuses reported that news here in the US as Fahrenheit.  Thus I believe a Bulgarian will still be damaged under 5F and die under 0F in general terms.  

I agree, I think its total hype.  Just regular trachys and as far as I know those infamous Bulgarian ones all died from cold in the end anyway.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Chester B said:

I agree, I think its total hype.  Just regular trachys and as far as I know those infamous Bulgarian ones all died from cold in the end anyway.

Same with Trachycarpus "Tesan". While they may look a bit different I have yet to see one that survives longterm (10-15+ years) unprotected in a place that regularly sees -15 C or lower for more than a couple of hours. Here in Europe, it is commonly accepted that leaf damage can occur at around -12 C and anything lower will lead to partial or full defoliation and can be lethal (unprotected plants that is and depending on the duration of the freeze and other circumstances, of course). 

Edited by Flow
  • Like 2